Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Stimulus Check when you have Social Security Deposit every month

Periodic Contributor

Stimulus Check when you have Social Security Deposit every month

I did not get my stimulus check deposited in my accout as stated it would be. I went on the IRS site and the response was they had no information for direct deposit!  Well you have been depositing my SS check every month in my checking account, did you check there??? I filed a federal return and owed some money, but have not paid yet because of the extension. I filled out the form on the website for the stimlus check  along with the bank info they asked for, so that was yesterday, we will see, but not all of us  on SS are not automatically receving the check in our account as stated. You would think we would get ours first!

Susan Sheppard
Regular Contributor

So, for those of you who've had success with Get My Payment, how are you entering your SSN? With, or without dashes? Address all caps? I've tried both and am locked out until this evening. This is the most frustrating database EVER!

Thanks

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Works if you don't put dashes in your SS number.  Address is just the street number and name.  No city, town or state.  I didn't find that all caps made a difference.  Bottom line though is whether or not your information has been entered or not yet.  I went weeks without ever getting any information from it and then all of a sudden yesterday I had a scheduled direct deposit date that even provided the last for numbers of my bank account.  Don't give up.  

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

My wife hadn’t received her stimulus but I did on 5/4 I entered her info on the non filers portal and this am she got her payment date goin into her acct by Dd we both get Ssdi and I received my money on 4/29
0 Kudos
Regular Social Butterfly

Sorry @BillyB469891 that you haven't received as of yet.

I can only advise I received 4/29 having filed income tax return for 2018 and retiree receiving ssi for all of 2019. Different account for ssi and that's where the stimulus deposited.

hth

#StaySafe

#VegasStrong
Phil Harris, actor and showman, to John Fogerty of CCR: “If I’d known I’d live this long, I’d have taken better care of myself.”
0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

BillyB469891...I've gotten locked out once. I've read so many suggestions on how to enter your address, and none have worked. The IRS says the tool isn't case sensitive, but I have a hard time believing anything they say now. I'm in an apartment, so I have to wonder if I should just put in my street address or street address and apartment number? And how do I do the street address... 4567 South Maple St, 4567 S Maple St, 4567 S. Maple Street, etc? What about the apartment number... APT 123, APT. 123, # 123, etc? I've been staying with the way it is on my SSA 1099, except they have my apartment number on the line below the street address. I have an idea that I'll find a check in my mailbox or a deposit in my account and still won't have gotten the tool to work. At least I'm hoping that happens. Thanks to the folks who post here that they got the tool to finally work and they're getting their payment, I still have a sliver of hope.
Periodic Contributor

I get SSD and haven't received mine either. My mom got her SS stimulus on the 29th as did a friend who also gets SSD. They have regular bank accounts. I have Direct Express Card. I also get no payment information when I use the Get My Payment Tool. As of today 5/15/20 everybody I know has gotten theirs but me. That includes people that get SS. SSD, SSI & people who did non-filers,  filers and people with Direct Express Cards but not me. Mine should of been on the 29th. Everything I read, which was a lot over and over said to do nothing it would be automatic. I've been on Disability for 12 years, receive a SSA 1099 every year, don't need to file taxes and have used the Direct Express since it came out, have lived in the same place for 6 yrs. IF they are using our SSA 1099's I too would like an explanation as to why something so easy has left so many people out.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@jjkitty

I would like to also respond to something else you said at the end of your post -

You said: . . . .  I too would like an explanation as to why something so easy has left so many people out.

There is nothing easy about the way this particular stimulus has been designed and thus how it has to be followed through by the agency in charge - the IRS as charged by the US Treasury.

This Economic Impact Payment as defined by the CARES ACT is not like any other economic stimulus payment we have ever had.  Most in the past have just set an amount and everybody gets it, the same amount - those are easy.

This one has been designed by INCOME and eligible dependents. The IRS is the only agency that has this info for qualifiers who filed taxes.  That's why they got out these (tax filer) payment 1st because then they could mark their SS# that they have received their payment regardless of whatever group they might belong to - Ss Retirees, SSDI, Railroad Retirement, VA benefits

Then the IRS had to give these Non(tax) filer beneficiaries a chance to add their eligible dependents to get their additional $ 500 added to their EIP (economic impact payment).  That's because if they don't do it before their payment is issued - the next chance to get it will be in 2021 when they file a 2020 tax return to get this left out money.  So making sure the payment is correct in the initial send out has been imperative for the IRS.  

So when all these added eligible dependents are added in to the rolls of the EIP beneficiaries who get direct deposit, direct express card or benefits paid by check - SS Retirees, SSDI, RRB, SSi, VA, they can go ahead and schedule the mode of payment for each in these groups.

So you see the complicated nature of how all of this has to be handled - not easy to say the least.

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Your a fountain of great information. Clarifying what I meant by "easy", those of us with SAA 1099's. I do understand that it is a large undertaking, I also understand and am proficient with databases and the SSA 1099's under $25,000 should of been one of the easier ones, all that aside, do you know the reason(s) a SSD recipient under the $25,000 limit would need to file?

Thank you
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@jjkittywrote

. . . . the SSA 1099's under $25,000 should of been one of the easier ones, all that aside,

do you know the reason(s) a SSD recipient under the $25,000 limit would need to file?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

The 1099-SSA only gives the amount of your benefit (SS Retirement, Spousal, Survivors, SSDI) and the amount of Part B premiums which you paid.  It says nothing about a dependent age 17 or lower - the IRS in figuring the Economic Impact Payment (EIP) considers this because the amount paid in EIP is increased for each eligible dependent by $500.

The IRS gave NON (tax)-filer the ability to go in and claim these dependents so that their EIP would be right from the get-go.  IF NOT, these folks would have to wait until they were forced by this condition to file a tax return in 2020 in 2021 in order to get these funds.

The IRS was just making sure that everybody had a chance to add this info before issuing the EIP for NON(tax)-filer people on SS Retirement, Spousal, Survivors benefits, SSDI, RRB, SSI, VA.

This was a process to get to an end result; it had to be done in steps - those steps are continuing at present.

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Some other things that are slowing down the IRS in sending out Economic Impact Payments (EIP) to those NON-(tax) Filers who receive Social Security Retirement, Spousal, Survivors benefits, SSDI, RRB, SSI and VA benefits -

• They have to make sure that the beneficiary only gets one EIP in case they receive multiple benefits.  There are many people that receive SSDI AND SSI, same is true of a Social Security benefit and a VA income benefit.  Maybe more too ~
  • Back child support is also checked and deducted from the EIP - So another SS # review to check this before the payment is released.
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@jjkitty 

FAQ from the Direct Express folks -

Direct Express® Economic Impact Payment Information Updated May 12, 2020 

Unless you aren't eligible because someone claims you as their dependent, then it should be forthcoming.  If you don't have to file a tax return, you meet the income eligibility requirement.

from the link ~ (page 2)

When will I receive my Economic Impact Payment?

We anticipate that most eligible Social Security, Supplemental Security Income (SSI), Veterans, and Railroad Retirement Board recipients will receive their Economic Impact Payments to their Direct Express® card no later than mid-May. ( we have just now reached that point in time - but this is a big job so there maybe still some time delays - give it a few more days)

How will I know when my Economic Impact Payment will be available on my Direct Express® card?

The IRS will mail a letter about the Economic Impact Payment to the recipient’s last known address within 15 days after the payment is made. The letter will provide information on how the payment was made and how to report any failure to receive the payment.

Additionally, Direct Express® cardholders can sign up for text or email alerts, check their transaction history, and view deposit information by logging into their account at the Direct Express® website. Cardholders can also obtain account balance information by calling the toll-free phone number on the back of their Direct Express® card, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Due to the COVID-19 situation, call wait times may be longer than normal.

more at the provided link ~

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Thank you for your email, I appreciate the information. I have never filed taxes on SSD, never been notified I am suppose to, well under the $25,000 limit, how would I know if I am suppose to file?

Thank you
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@jjkittywrote:

I have never filed taxes on SSD, never been notified I am suppose to, well under the $25,000 limit, how would I know if I am suppose to file?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They don't notify you to file taxes, you go by the (whatever) year taxable income and filing status info from the IRS.

For 2019 Tax Year

IRS PUBL 501

page 2 has this chart - I could not screen shot all of it so I just did the highlights -

NOTE this from the publication:  Don't include any social security benefits unless (a) you're married filing a separate return and you lived with your spouse at any time during 2019, or (b) one-half of your social security benefits plus your other gross income and any tax-exempt interest is more than $25,000 ($32,000 if married filing jointly). If (a) or (b) applies, see the Form 1040 and 1040-SR instructions to figure the taxable part of social security benefits you must include in gross income.

And from the Social Security Administration:

SSA.gov - Benefits Planner | Income Taxes And Your Social Security Benefit 

Screenshot_2020-05-15 2019 Publication 501 - p501 pdf.png

more at the link on page 2

•  
0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

I'm astonished.  After weeks of nothing on Get My Payment,  there was new info and a deposit date of May 20.  I had checked earlier this morning and there was still nothing.  I just checked again and finally some info.  Hoping the same for others!!

PS By way of context, for better or worse. I'm SSDI, out of country.  I had also filled out the non filer page (even though the instructions said I wasn't someone who should) -- there's no way, of course, to know if that made the difference. 

Regular Contributor

GregoryM112393.. I still get the Payment Status Not Available but I'm happy for you, it's a little encouraging.
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@RichardD753001 

Have you reviewed this page - some questions have been recently updated (05/15/2020)

IRS: Get My Payment Frequently Asked Questions 

You should get your payment - The schedule is being done by the IRS - As long as you are eligible - if you are claimed as a dependent on the tax return of someone else and are over the age of 17, you aren't eligible.

I assume that you are a NON-(tax) filer and thus meet the income eligibility requirements.

Periodic Contributor

Thank you Richard, yes I've reviewed it over and over. Not to do anything its automatic.
0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

No stimulus DD or check for me yet but I did receive this when I went to the USPS Informed Delivery to see if I had a check coming today. If you click 'Learn More' it takes to the IRS site about the stimulus payments that most of us know all so well (no real help). My wife who got her DD on 4/29 is receiving her 'Notice 1444' (hey we gave you money notice) today in the mail.usps.JPG

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

I too, am still waiting on my stimulus check.  In good faith, I ordered some much needed a/c units for my mobile home, after suffering in one room for the last 3 years, and I have yet to unbox them, because I am afraid I won't be able to pay for them.  I have worked hard to get better credit the last couple of years, and I don't want to ruin that.  I get $783 a month in SSI.  I am tired of the runaround we are getting.  Now they are talking about another round already, when so many have not received anything at all yet.  Something needs to be done here.

Regular Contributor

Keep the faith!  I checked the Get My Payment tool this morning thinking it would just continue giving me no information.  I was quite surprised that it said that I would get my payment on May the 20th by Direct Deposit and it even listed the last 4 numbers of my bank account.  What a wave of relief.  So, don't return those A/C units just yet.  

Contributor

I’m glad you have your payment date. If I may ask, are you a SSR, RRB, or SSDI beneficiary or ssi. Why I ask is that I’m an SSDI beneficiary that is one of the ones that still gets the “Payment Status Unavailable” general error. Our data should’ve been loaded pre-April 29th which I’m sure you are probably aware of that. I also know the GetMyPayment tool is broken/buggy and I know how to crash it and also I found that it gives that now infamous error msg out when you put in a fake SSN that no one has ever been assigned  but when it does give you a date of payment it’s correct most of the time that Ive seen amongst my friends except sometimes the irs messes up the account number from what I’ve read. 

Ive gotten myself locked out of it last night because I was tweaking all the possible ways my address can be formatted and I’m still not sure what format the IRS now has in there database but I’m hope that when I’m unlocked again later tonight I have the same success as you. I mean I wasnt counting on this money this year at all but now that it’s been promised to us and by a certain date which has passed now it’s really stressing me out. I cant help it because it’s how my brain works and I’m trying really hard think about it.

I’m just curious if they are still loading SSDI/SSR/RRB beneficiary’s data. They should have been finished with us according to the IRS and SSA. It also has me wondering why did they even probably promised a date for SSI also VA if they hadn’t finished the first batch of database transfers and payouts by their self imposed deadline of April 29th. 

I don’t know but during my 26 years as a software engineer before being disabled, Working mostly as a contractor for a branch of the federal government too, if me or my team didn’t meet a critical deadline that we agreed could have been done then someone was getting fired.

I'm just say’n.   

Periodic Contributor

Hello to anyone that hasn’t gotten their stimulus on 4/29 I received my stimulus but mt wife hadn’t and could not get any info from the get my payment portal both of us recieve Ssdi by Dd on 5/4 I completed the non filers portal for my wife and low and behold this morning on the get my payment portal we got her payment date of 5/20  by Dd to her bank acct    So I say use the non filers portal 

Regular Contributor

I think the Social Security Administration and the IRS have added to the confusion because their advice differs.  Social Security says to use the Non-Filers tool and the IRS says not to.  I used it rather than just sitting back and trusting that all would be well, and did get a payment date and numbers from my bank account as a reference.  There was a gap of 3 weeks in between when I entered the information and when I was able to get information.  Mixed messages don't help in situations like this.

Trusted Contributor

LeighG227172... Social Security says to use the non-filers tool if you have at least one qualifying child. No where have I ever seen anything on the SSA site that said recipients of SS should use the non-filers tool... UNLESS you have a qualifying child. That being said, whether you used it or not, those of us with direct deposit should have received our payment long ago. Now most of what we're hearing about are payments to SSI recipients, and not a word from either SSA or IRS about those of us on SS and SSDI who still haven't gotten our payments. And they wonder why we think we've been forgotten and aren't getting a payment. This has turned into a confusing, frustrating mess.
Regular Contributor

On the My Social Security page where you can login to your account, there is an option to get a variety of different emails from SSA.  I subscribe to most of them.  One shows all press releases and updates.  What I mentioned was shown in one of the earlier set of instructions from them.  It was not just attached to folks with children.  It was for everyone.  The IRS site allowed me to register my banking information without any problems even though it was obviously on file with SSA.  It also asked no questions about dependent children.  Bottom line is that none of us are really sure what to do to fix whatever the problem is.  My approach has been to provide any and all of them with all the information they need to generate a payment.  Whether I'm right or wrong, whatever I did seems to have worked since I now appear on the Get My Payment tool and am set for a direct deposit into my checking account on May 20th.  They even included the last 4 digits of my account number.  I advocate for myself and never just follow along with what I'm told to do when doing that gets me nowhere.  

Regular Contributor

That's great that you advocated for yourself and it worked out. I'd imagine you'd be singing a different tune had it gone the other way. For example, when you'd entered the information when it was stated that if you receive SS/SSD/SSI you DO NOT have to do anything (yes I know they originally said you did), you caused a glitch in the system that blocked you from getting a check at all. It could have went that way, but fortunately for you it didn't.

I'm a huge advocate for myself, trust and believe. This mess is on them, not us.

Incidentally, I tried to use GET MY PAYMENT today, and the error message "access denied" comes up. My wife has access, but her payment status is still unavailable.

Good luck all. 

0 Kudos

I tried to use the GET MY PAYMENT TOOL and got  your information does not match ours answer. it seems my ssn did not match theirs, I have had the same ssn since I was 18 yrs. old, I am now 74.ssa, medicare, snap,and  Medicaid have used this same no. since I was 58 so what happened? My husband got his check when they sent out the first batch in mid April. Like everyone else I NEED the extra help. I know how every one feel you get your hope up thinking there is some light {albeit a little light] at the end of the tunnel, but all you see is the dark anybody out there had this problem and solved it? Let me hear from you

Periodic Contributor

I know what you mean I"m still waiting too and that get my payment tool does not work for ssdi i've tried it every day since april .still get no info found.Is there a lite at the end of the tunnel? beginning to wonder now..
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

@JamesB719649thank you for that information it has been the one thing I missed. And, by using the non filers tool, I found out someone Illegally claimed me as a dependent on their taxes. Pretty sure I know who it is, and am reporting the issue. Again, thank you.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@EbonyW807299 wrote:

. . . . I found out someone Illegally claimed me as a dependent on their taxes. Pretty sure I know who it is, and am reporting the issue. Again, thank you.

In helping some seniors in my community with where their EIP might be - dependency status is the 1st thing we review but the reasoning is not usually "illegal" -  they either just forgot or never knew this to be the case even though they might be living with and/or supported by someone else.

Of course, tax-wise this could help out the whomever other person is claiming you as a dependent -  but for the EIP, it does not add any $$$ because ONLY dependents LESS than 17 years of age add any additional monies ($500) to their Economic Impact Payment.  Unless they are also lying about your age as well as your dependency status or you are less than 17 years old.  😉

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Block Champ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP