Contributor

Divorced Spouse Benefits

My ex-husband and I have been divorced 20+ years and I have not remarried. I understand I can claim spousal benefits on his record, but he has to be eligible for benefits. I'll be 65 next year and he'll be 61. My question is, can I apply to receive benefits on his record when he's 62 or do I have to wait until he actually starts receiving benefits himself?

0 Kudos
Gold Conversationalist

@PeggyO504905 

See the SS website, https://www.ssa.gov/benefits/retirement/planner/applying7.html#h4

This page discusses benefits for a divorced spouse.

That page says "If you have not applied for retirement benefits, but can qualify for them, your ex-spouse can receive benefits on your record if you have been divorced for at least two continuous years."

So the two important considerations for you are (1) ex-spouse does not need to be actually collecting their SS benefit at the time you collect and (2) if in such case you have been divorced for at least the 2 years they describe...which you meet.

Good luck.

Contributor

Thank you

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

"I downloaded AARP Perks to assist in staying connected and never missing out on a discount!" -LeeshaD341679

AARP Perks

Test Your Knowledge, Score Big. New Game Each Day!

AARP's new Right Again! Trivia game - part trivia, part puzzle, all fun! Special opportunities for AARP Members and Rewards participants. Play Now.

AARP Right Again! Trivia

AARP Rewards

Sync your smartphone or favorite tracker with AARP Rewards to earn points for hitting steps, swimming and cycling milestones Sync Now.

AARP Rewards Badge

Music and Brain Health

From soft jazz to hard rock - discover music's mental, social and physical benefits. Learn more.

Music and Brain Health