Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Stimulus Check when you have Social Security Deposit every month

Periodic Contributor

Stimulus Check when you have Social Security Deposit every month

I did not get my stimulus check deposited in my accout as stated it would be. I went on the IRS site and the response was they had no information for direct deposit!  Well you have been depositing my SS check every month in my checking account, did you check there??? I filed a federal return and owed some money, but have not paid yet because of the extension. I filled out the form on the website for the stimlus check  along with the bank info they asked for, so that was yesterday, we will see, but not all of us  on SS are not automatically receving the check in our account as stated. You would think we would get ours first!

Susan Sheppard
Trusted Contributor

I managed to get the message again about remaining on the line to speak to an agent. Same thing happened. Music for a minute, then a message about my call being important and to remain on the line for the next available agent, then silence for 15 seconds, then disconnected. I guess my call isn't important after all. Just one more thing to get frustrated about. And of course the tool still says info is not available.

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

From the IRS site...

IR-2020-97, May 18, 2020

WASHINGTON — Today, the Internal Revenue Service is starting to add 3,500 telephone representatives to answer some of the most common questions about Economic Impact Payments.

IRS telephone assistance and other services will remain limited, and answers for most of the common questions related to Economic Impact Payments are available on IRS.gov. The IRS anticipates bringing back additional assistors as state and local advisories permit.

Answers for most Economic Impact Payment questions are available on the automated message for people who call the phone number provided in the letter (Notice 1444). Those who need additional assistance at the conclusion of the message will have the option of talking to a telephone representative.

Maybe, just maybe, some of us can get some answers now. Although I'm not holding my breath. If anyone here calls and gets some answers, please post those answers. I have a feeling it's going to take awhile to even get through to speak to someone. The lines will be swamped. So if anyone does get through, let us know what, if anything, you find out. 800-919-9835

Regular Contributor

J221.... thanks for that info, I still got the Payment Status Not Available this morning, guess it's time to make that phone call and see if that system works.
0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

RichardD753001....Good luck with the call. I called about a half hour ago. After listening to all the recorded info, it said, to speak to a representative, stay on the line. Then there was elevator music for about two minutes, then the prerecorded message "your call is important to us.......remain on the line". So I remained on the line, no music this time, then after about 15 seconds.....click. I was disconnected. I've called back a number of times, and haven't gotten the message again about remaining on the line to speak to a representative. The one time I do and I get disconnected. I thought for a minute I had dialed Comcast. Guess I'll just try again through the day and see if I get lucky.
0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

J221..... I just called the 800-919-9835 number and got a long winded female voice telling me things I already know, I never got the opportunity to even try to speak to a representative, I couldn't find a direct number to a rep.
0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

RichardD753001.....That's what happened to me after the first call. But the first time I called, after all the recorded info and push this number and that number (I never pushed a number) the message said to remain on the line to speak to a representative. Then the music, then the message about "your call is important to us, remain on the line", then silence and I got disconnected. Maybe you only get the message about speaking to a rep if there's open lines. Who knows. Hopefully someone here will get to speak to a live person and get some info about what's going on. On another note, I ran into a friend a bit ago who gets SS survivor benefits and he said according to USPS Informed Delivery he has mail from the US Treasury coming today. More than likely his check. Don't know why he didn't get a direct deposit, but at this point, I think we'd all be happy to get a check.
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@J221 wrote:
. . . .  On another note, I ran into a friend a bit ago who gets SS survivor benefits and he said according to USPS Informed Delivery he has mail from the US Treasury coming today. More than likely his check. Don't know why he didn't get a direct deposit, but at this point, I think we'd all be happy to get a check.

Most likely because he filed a tax return and his EIP was generated from the tax return database - then his SS # was marked accordingly and it probably also shows on his "Where's My Payment" IRS tool.

When his SS file and Direct Deposit database is ran against the IRS file by SS#, when his group of SS beneficiaries are ready to be processed,  the IRS will see that he has already gotten his payment and thus will not be given another.

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

GailL1...No, he doesn't file taxes.
0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

Maybe all 20 million or however many of us  there are that haven't received the stimulus should write the Secretary of Treasury starting today. Flood their office with millions of emails. I guess just by virtue of being on Soc Sec relegates some of us to the back of the line. I remember when I was in recruit training in the Navy the motto was Hurry Up and Wait. Decades later it still seems to ring true.

yeah thats a good idea but i think it's still useless. i'm in the same boat as everyone here. i'm receiving SS retirement and have direct deposit and no check. this is really sad. the IRS is not taking any calls and you can't send them any email. all of their offices are still closed because of covid-19 they say. and the Social Security and Treasury Dept. are not of any use either. we are all just in limbo. but I have been still sending a few emails out to others. I sent one email to the office of President Trump. I sent one to my Congressman in my district. I sent an email to Fox news, and also to my bank. so far no response back except from my bank. I asked my bank to please check to see if maybe the IRS tried to deposit it in my acct. and then maybe some other entity maybe took it out. like a debt collector or other entity. they haven't replied back on that one yet. what has really got me upset is on the IRS sight which is really useless. they tell you when you should receive your check depending on your status but they do not mention anything about WHAT IF YOU DO NOT RECIEVE YOUR CHECK. you know seems to me they should have some kind of recourse for those that have not received a check yet. instead of just leaving us hanging. after a length of time there should be at least an email contact to let them know that you still have not got your check. but so far no one has nothing for us who are in limbo and its pretty **bleep** sad. and you know what's really bad??? they are getting ready for a 2nd stimulus check soon and we haven't even got the first one.  

Regular Contributor

I don't think there is to be a second stimulus check.  That was proposed by the Democrats in Congress and was immediately shot down by Trump and the Republicans in the Senate.  Any non-partisan work that was done for the good of the country is very much over.  Its back to the same old games, so I'm not counting on any round two.  I made copies of all of my eligibility documents that show everything for me from SSA, my bank, my identity and citizenship and mailed it all off to the IRS regional office that serves my area.  As well as doing that, I also filed my banking information for direct deposit on the IRS non-filers site even though they said not to and showed the same information that social security has for my direct deposit.  I don't know which, if any, of those things helped, but the Get My Payment site now shows that I am getting a direct deposit into my account on the 20th of May.  They even showed the last for numbers of my checking account.  My attitude in doing all of this was that I had nothing to lose and it also gave me something to do.  Hopefully none of it had anything to do with getting paid and that maybe they are just behind and will eventually get to everyone.  One can hope.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Another day another Payment Status Not Available.

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

Spoiler
Spoiler

I was reading on CNet that if you have a check coming you can go to the US post office site and use their stimulus impact tool to track it. Well I put in all my information and guess what? The screen said came back with something like 'System currently unavailable at this time.' It's almost as if it said 'System currently unavailable at this time...For You! Lol.

I say the system came back "something like" because when I saw it I didn't even stay there long enough to try and figure out why the msg was there. So keep your heads up. Keep moving on and don't let the powers that be sway you in anything you do

Honored Social Butterfly

Washington Post 05/11/2020 - STILL WAITING FOr YOUR STIMULUS PAYMENT? 

It is a long and complicated process, checking files against other files  - they are being process as they are ready.  Add to that, working with a reduced staff - remember we are under pandemic stay at home orders.  Some IRS employees have volunteered to go back to work to help handle the backlog of work - tax returns and stimulus payments.

From the link ~ copy/paste of just a portion - Read the rest

I host a chat every week on personal finance. Here’s a condensed and edited transcript of last week’s chat. Most questions were about the stimulus money.

Q: Where is my check? Who can help? This is frustrating! No place to enter a request to fix a problem. I am a Social Security recipient and have not filed taxes for several years. I have not received a check although I get my Social Security payments through direct deposit. I have tried to go online multiple times and entered my information, but I keep getting a message that says the IRS either can’t determine my payment status or they don’t have enough information.

A: If you fall within the income limits to get a payment (and meet other eligibility requirements), you should get an economic impact payment. Not having it by now doesn’t mean you aren’t getting the money. It could just mean the IRS hasn’t gotten to you yet. Because you have not filed taxes for years, your payment will be based on your status of receiving Social Security, and as such, you were not in the first wave of folks getting payments.

Think of it like the lines at the supermarket.

People who got their payments already were in the “15 items or less” line. They had a return on file with the IRS and — this is key — had a refund due to them in 2018 or 2019.

Then there are the other lines. Some appear long, but the cashier gets people through fairly quickly.

Most frustrating is the line with the chatty cashier. It looks short, but it takes super long — that’s people getting Social Security, survivor, disability, Supplemental Security Income, Railroad Retirement, or veterans compensation and pension benefits. You would think this line would go quicker because their information is already on file at a government agency or department. But it’s not at the IRS. So the IRS had to get information from the Social Security Administration or Department of Veterans Affairs, transfer that information to its system, and then start making payments.

I know this is hard to hear, but you have to just be patient. The money is coming if you’re entitled to it; you’re just in the line with the well-meaning but slow or chatty cashier.

Contributor

Too bad I can’t tell my creditors to be patient. Why all the dates that we should receive a check?  And no check.  Why no contact info?  Yes.  There is a pandemic and a lot of ppl are going to their jobs.  Aren’t SSA and IRS essential workers?  Cashiers, sanitation, railroad, buses, banks, etc.  are working.  These agencies were recruited to perform a National Emergency Relief Function - do you not think that’s a little above whatever that description you gave?  Really?   You seem to be working.  Who is Mnuchin delegating this work to if his employees are on Pandemic Break?  150 million to receive checks. 130 million received a check. 20 million left.  At five million a week that’s four weeks.  So, now describe why it should take months.  
Still waiting and not patiently.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@LynneD673611 

Maybe all people on SS Retirement, Spousal, Survivors benefits, SSDI and RRB,  VA benefits, even Supplemental Security Income (SSI) who DID NOT FILE an income tax return should have had to file that "informational" return as was the initial request from the IRS / Treasury for the payment.  That got nixed early on when the process was in development.

A simple form with

• name, address, SS #
  • any dependents less than 17 years old
  • income and source, since some income is never shown on a tax form like VA benefits or SSI
  • Direct Deposit info if desired

But then what of people who have no bank account that use Direct Express Cards; would have also had to give that info too.

It was the advocate groups associated with these groups  that thought that would be too hard on many folks so they opted for this method - problem is people in this group are all different.  Thus, the IRS is having to run systems against their systems in order to get people the correct amount of Economic Impact Payment (EIP) or disqualify them for eligibility for it.

No not all government (IRS) workers were classified as "essential"  - at least not until this whole process hit the fan.  The group normally just processes tax returns - the essential part to that function is just depositing the tax payment, the processing of the data backup doesn't USUALLY have to be done so fast.

I am sorry many in this group are having to wait and all the confusion but I think this WP article is right on the money.

It is gonna take time - it may come tomorrow, next week, by the end of the month or even in June or maybe even later for others.

Before the beginning of April, when the CARES ACT was passed,  this money to those eligible wasn't even counted in the budget of these groups.  So you just carry on as you would have - and your payment will come if you are eligible.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

That's great information but, I still say you need to check. I think people should be concerned and there isn't any reason why my mom who gets SS and a friend who gets SSD which I also get, got theirs on April 29th and I did not. They have regular bank acct's I have Direct Express, I still should of received mine. I kept checking the get my payment tool and kept tell me don't have enough information or not eligible. 1st, I get an SSA 1099 every year which according to everything you read "You do not have to do anything you will receive your payment". I've been on SSD for 12 yrs and never have had to file, way under the limit.. 2nd, I am eligible. 

Reading the IRS's pages over and over I ran into a tool that helps you know if you need to file. I did it and it said I needed to file. I couldn't believe it and thought no way. A couple days later I read the back of my SSA and did the little worksheet I HAD TO FILE. A lot of things changed with the 2018 Tax Break (ha ha). I did an E file. I don't owe and it also had an area where you check the box that says "are you doing this just for EIC payment" you check yes and file your form. 

If you get SSD or SS do the worksheet or the IRS tool to see if you need to file. Myself, I fall well below the limit that says you don't have to file. But this year after doing the worksheet, even though I'm well below it said I needed to file. 

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

May I ask which website did you use to efile?

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

I used the IRS non-filer site which put me into the free filer fillable form.com page.  Its all part of the IRS.  I don't know if its still open or not.  

0 Kudos
Contributor

This is way too much for me to comprehend.  I just read eight to twelve weeks.  Starting when?  April 1st?  Then that’s June. In two weeks from May 17.  Today.  Eight to twelve weeks from when?  Or it doesn’t matter to define that?  Just keep throwing it out there and confusing ppl?  The floating dates.  

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I just read this thats nice to know that were at the bottom of the line. this is utterly disgusting. Why did they keep saying if you get ssdi va railroad or ssi you'll get your payment by may 5th then. then it was oh you'll get it dedfinately by may 15th. bunch of crap. Its all lies ...If they didnt know when we'd be getting it then why post stuff like that.. I'm still waiting and its may 17th. i know i'm entitled to one. this just makes the stress even worse for people like me on a very limited income. who by the time you do get your monthly ss ck its gone on bills and rent/morgage pmts.So you have basically jack to do anything go anywhere even if you could cause you don' have any spare cash. this would be nice so i could pay my bills and for once have a little bit of money to spend. But now we wait and wait and wait...disgusting.............................

Regular Contributor

No updates on the site for me. Happy for all who at least got their deposit date. Funny thing is when rumors first started if everyone getting the stimulus pay, I was against it for anyone other than those whose jobs were effected by the quarantine. Then I thought, well, with $1200, I too could help stimulate the economy. That's when stress kicked in. It's crazy, really. I see millions of dollars gone to bail out multi-million dollar corporations, Harvard, churches (no taxes collected there), and other non-small businesses. Even the deceased. Frustrating. I'm going to leave all this alone now. Everyone stay healthy, both mentally and physically. God bless 🙏🏾

Regular Contributor

Hey BillyB469891 you're not alone. I'm on SS retirement (10 years), I meet ALL the eligibility for the stimulus, my wife got her stimulus back on 4/29. As of this morning I still get the old 'Payment Status Not Available'. Same old, same old nothing new here for me to see so I guess I just move on.
Periodic Contributor

Same old same old...seems like several in the same boat as we are.  thanks for your comment.  

Periodic Contributor

Agree, staying healthy both body and mind is much better than stressing over $1200.  🙏

Periodic Contributor

Good morning. If you haven't received your impact payment read the back of your SSA 1099. You might be required to file this year. Thank you Tax cuts 2018.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@jjkitty wrote:

If you haven't received your impact payment read the back of your SSA 1099. You might be required to file this year. Thank you Tax cuts 2018.

Not with you here -

The Tax Cut and Jobs Act  (TCJA) did not change any of the filing requirement for a Social Security beneficiary - some people have always had to pay taxes on their benefits depending upon the amount of their other income with the same SS $$ qualifiers for each filing status.  Those are the same as those have been for as long as I can remember.  Remember while you were working, 50% of what was paid in for you in FICA contributions wasn't taxed either - the employers part. 

That is what is taxed now on benefits if you meet certain other income requirements.

In fact, the TCJA actually reduced the income tax % amount and increased the standard deduction for most people.  (see chart below)

Tax Policy Center: How did the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act change personal taxes? 

The Tax Cuts and Jobs Act (TCJA) increased the standard deduction from $6,500 to $12,000 for individual filers, from $13,000 to $24,000 for joint returns, and from $9,550 to $18,000 for heads of household in 2018. As before, the amounts are indexed annually for inflation.

Irregardless, the only reasons why one might not get an EIP is

(1) they are claimed as a dependent on someone else's tax return(and only dependents less than 17 years old get the $500 added EIP)  or

(2) they owe back child support payments and the IRS has been call in to collect

(3) they don't have their own working SS #

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

The Get My Payments tool is still not working for me. With Caps or no caps. With dashes in my social ssn or no dashes. With my apartment number or no apartment number. No options work. Now having said that I have made up my mind, as I stated before, to keep moving forward day by day.

I will continue to live my life with as much happiness as I can get into it. When they send it I'll be grateful. And until they do, my joy is still full come what may. So keep on keeping on folks. Keep your head to the sky No Matter What! Take care.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Responding to a couple of questions 

I’m SSDI. I was never able to get past the no information page. Yesterday, I finally got through and it showed my upcoming deposit date with the last four digits of my bank acct.  There’s another poster who just got uploaded as well, so it seems like things are moving finally. CAVEAT: I had filled out the Non-Filer form on May 6th (even though I didn’t fit into those instructions, so I don’t know if that made a difference). 

Don’t use dashes in your SSN. Use the EXACT address on your 1099 (just the street address, no city State). Use your five digit zip without the -1234 extension.  I had been worried that my foreign address, which is not in the traditional USA address form, was messing me up. But now it works so no problem there. Again, use your exact address shown on 1099, right down to abbreviations and punctuation (for example, Ave -or- Ave.     look at your 1099).  Use ALL CAPS. 

EDIT:  So, from my experience (the same as most of yours - nonfiler. ss-ssdi. Direct deposit, SS knows my address), I had been thinking I was doing something wrong, especially because I live abroad. I wasn't. It was simply that my info hadn't been uploaded yet.  I hope this gives people some hope!

Regular Contributor

Aside from you being on SSDI and me on SS retirement, our situations seem almost identical.  I too filled out the non-filer information when it told me not to with my thinking that it can't hurt and at least I would be sure they had the address.  I used the address exactly as shown on my 1099.  Because I live in Scotland, I wasn't sure how the Get My Payment tool would deal with the fact that my house has a name as well as a number with all of that being separate from the street name, and I was worried that I don't have an American formatted zip code and have a letter and numbers post code.  Finally yesterday, I finally got something out of Get My Payment with a deposit date and the last four numbers from my bank account shown .  And don't even try to use dashes in your SS number.  The system will give you an error message if you try that.  And on the address, all CAPS is the way to go because that's how its listed on the 1099.  

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Block Champ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP