Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Stimulus Check when you have Social Security Deposit every month

Periodic Contributor

Stimulus Check when you have Social Security Deposit every month

I did not get my stimulus check deposited in my accout as stated it would be. I went on the IRS site and the response was they had no information for direct deposit!  Well you have been depositing my SS check every month in my checking account, did you check there??? I filed a federal return and owed some money, but have not paid yet because of the extension. I filled out the form on the website for the stimlus check  along with the bank info they asked for, so that was yesterday, we will see, but not all of us  on SS are not automatically receving the check in our account as stated. You would think we would get ours first!

Susan Sheppard
Trusted Contributor

Linda. Okay sorry for the confusion. Are you saying your ex gives you his SS check? He set that up in the past so you would receive it at your bank, correct? So when it went to his bank with your name on it (this is what gets confusing. If it has his SS number on it the bank does not give it to him or it had your name on it even though it's his SS?). So who gets the 1099 and with name its it attached to? If the IRS does not have your bank number then it will never go there, ever. If it is in your name and rejected it will go with your last known address. From what I gather you can no longer give a DD number but address you can. Now that leaves the 1099 again which if in his name and address it will surely go there. That all being said in two weeks after it is received or sent you should get a letter in the mail stating where it went. Now that becomes sticky again because if the mail goes to his address instead of yours it becomes another problem. You need to contact both SSA and IRS to straighten this out.  You need the check if in mail to be in your name. Unless of course he cashes it and gives you the proceeds. I wish you luck in this matter. 

Alan

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

If you receive your SS check there why would the stimulus not go into account. You have not changed banks from your ex? Who's to say it was not received? Does the IRS have your correct address? If was received you will get a IRS mailing in 2 weeks telling you how it was sent. If not received at bank then next it is sent to your mailing. If IRS does not have address you will have to contact them, explain and give them address. By leaving yourself in ex's bank leaves you in a predicament. I hope you can solve this problem.

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

LindaF947611....It's my understanding that if a stimulus direct deposit is rejected/returned, the IRS will mail a paper check to you.
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

no dashes ... as for address put it in exactly like your 1099 form if you are a non filer

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Here is the newly UPDATED IRS:  GET MY PAYMENT - Frequently asked questions

IRS.gov - Get My Payment Frequently Asked Questions 

Here is the most up-to-date  IRS Economic Impact Payment - Frequently Asked Questions site.

Here is the Latest IRS Press Release on the Economic Impact Payments

IRS.gov Press Release 05/27/2020 - Economic Impact Payments being sent by prepaid debit cards, arriv... 

They are still processing payments - 5 million a week.

• Some more Social Security Retirement, Survivors, Spousal, SSDI payments
  • Same for those who receive Supplemental Security Income (SSI) and VA benefits
  • They are also still processing those beneficiaries that have a Representative Payee.
  • For those on Social Security who live abroad - The IRS cannot deposit into a foreign bank account so you will get your payment another way - check or card.  IF you do have a domestic bank account, you can enter that info into the Get My Payment site.  Most likely you will have to also have some sort of a domestic address because the spaces in the Get My Payment IRS site does not have enough room for many foreign addresses.  Of course the country where you are must have an agreement between them and the USA - most do but not all.
  • For those that live in a US Territory, there is something different - if I remember right, the payment is coming from the taxing authority in the Territory. 

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
Periodic Contributor

Gail ... I live abroad ... Spain ... and I called the 800 number today and they told me tha tI would get it the same as I get my SS retirement which is direct deposit in my Spain bank. Where did you see that those living abroad will get them by mail?

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@BrianH503300 

Did you talk to the IRS or Social Security at the 800 # you called?

The IRS is the government entity issuing the Economic Impact Payments NOT SSA.

The way I understand it, the Social Security Administration has an agreement with many foreign countries so that they can send benefits to expats via direct deposit to a foreign bank.  The IRS (US Treasury) does not have such an agreement.  They are going by IRS rules not SS because this economic impact payment is coming from the US Treasury.

These are the IRS rules -

IRS.gov - Helpful Tips for Effectively Receiving a Tax Refund for Taxpayers Living Abroad 

from the link ~

The quickest way to receive your refund is by direct deposit to a checking or savings account, including an individual retirement arrangement. However, you need a U.S. account to request direct deposit. If you do not have a U.S. account, or do not choose to receive your refund via direct deposit, a check will be mailed to the address you provided on your tax return.

Here are some of my other sources:

Federal Trade Commission.gov - Economic impact payments for U.S. citizens abroad 

from the link ~

Depending on your income, U.S. expatriates can get up to $1,200 each, or up to $2,400 for couples, plus $500 for each qualifying child, just as you would if living stateside. And, most people don’t need to do anything to get their payments. The IRS will deposit your payment directly to your U.S. bank account (the IRS can’t direct deposit money to a foreign account), or mail your payment using information from your 2018 or 2019 tax return or from your Social Security retirement or other federal benefits program.

another media one -

Business Insider 05/07/2020 - American expats are afraid they won't get their stimulus checks becaus... 

from the link ~  Which points out the problems - no solutions

• A tool on the IRS website that is meant to collect direct-deposit information to speed up stimulus payments isn't working for some US citizens living abroad. 
  • The IRS "Get My Payment" tool asks for the taxpayer's address, but won't accept a foreign ZIP code, preventing them from moving to the next step to input bank information.
  • Even so, you can only enter US bank information. The IRS isn't sending payments to non-US banks.
  • The IRS will mail the stimulus check if a person doesn't have direct deposit, but postal services in some countries aren't operating due to the pandemic.

The IRS won't send stimulus payments to non-US banks

read this part of the above link

The IRS will send the payment - it will come by either check or as a debit card (VISA).

Make sure your address is correct on your Social Security file and/or your tax file.

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I talked to the IRS

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

And???

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Hi everyone,

I just want to start by saying thanks to all of you for your support in this forum. Lately, it's been a very challenging time as we await our stimulus payments. Congrats to those who have received theirs! You've made it over the hurdles of this long, drawn-out race. For those of us who are still waiting, we continue to persevere. I'm doing my best to remain positive in spite of this whole ordeal. But it's not easy. I think the worst part of this experience is feeling singled out especially since I'm dealing with other stressful situations in my life. Nonetheless, I'm trying to stay hopeful that the rest of us who are still waiting will receive ours very soon. All we can do is our best to be proactive and stay positive.     

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I am happy for those that have gotten their checks! I still haven't gotten mine ... I called the number last night ... was on hold for over an hour and got disconnected. Even though it is a toll free number it is not for me as I live in Spain and have to pay for the call cause 800 numbers are not free outside the US ... cost .. over 27euro ... about $30 USD ... can't afford to many of those lol

0 Kudos

Can you give me the number you called because the number I have it’s only a recording. I no how you feel I haven’t got my stimulus either. 

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

I am at the end of my rope.  I have done everything.  I put my info in the IRS.GOV website.  Every day I check, and this morning, same thing.  Information not available.  WHY?  Where is MY money?  I called H&R Block yesterday, some woman checked something, said I had nothing to worry about, it would be coming, but no specifics.  Other people in my state, same situation as me have theirs.  I am scared.  I need to know I am not the only one who hasn't gotten theirs.  I know some people supposedly have been throwing theirs away thinking they are a scam.  I don't throw mail away.  It says if you are on SSI, it is supposed to be direct deposited into your account, just like your monthly check is.  I have myself in literal knots over this.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Julie 80: I'm very sorry you're having to wait so long for your payment. It just isn't fair. I can assure you that if you're eligible...its coming. It's guaranteed. You will not be singled out as the one who won't get their due. I received mine on the 28th, as was stated on GMP. But, my wife hasn't received hers yet. Same bank, she's receives SSD, has been for 12 years via direct deposit. There's no reason she shouldn't have received her direct deposit yet. None. It just isn't her time, and she'll have to wait. She's angry as heck, but she knows it's coming. Stay encouraged. Don't let the wait defeat you. It's terribly unhealthy... 

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

Julie80....I went through the same thing. I should have had my direct deposit on April 29. Everyone else I personally know on SSDI with direct deposit got theirs. All I heard was "you'll get it, just be patient". The longer I waited the more impatient I got. It got to the point where I began to wonder if I fell through the cracks and wasn't going to get the stimulus. The only thing that gave me a sliver of hope, was reading on here about people in my situation, SSDI with direct deposit, who were still receiving theirs. Finally, yesterday mine was available in my bank account. I have a neighbor that I've been helping to get info on his also. He's on SSI, direct deposit with a payee. I helped him call his bank yesterday and we found out his was also in his account. The reason I'm telling you all this is because myself, and many others, have gone through what you're going through. There is nothing more you can do to speed up the process. You WILL receive your stimulus. They are still making deposits and mailing checks. I would say you're likely to see yours within the next two weeks, possibly next week. This is easy for me to say because I received mine. But what others told me was true, and good advice....try to be patient awhile longer and don't make yourself sick with worry and stress. Lord know, we have enough to worry about as it is. You'll get your $1200, and likely sooner rather than later. Just try to hang in there. I truly hope it happens soon for you. I do know what you're going through.
0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

Spoiler

I checked my checking account this morning and I received the $1,200 stimulus. I thank God and all involved. Like many I was wavering between two thoughts. Distrusting of the government. Believing that they don't care and the disabled are relegated to the back of the line. Thinking  this is political. I mean I was way out there with some of my posts.

At the same time I tried to keep our spirits up by saying keep your head up and don't give up. If what I posted in the past helped some that's great. If what I said frustrated people even more, for that I truly apologize and ask for everyone's forgiveness because I did not mean to do so. That's what emotions will do.

I posted the following a few weeks ago:

"Whatever the reason I 'ain't' got mine yet. Those who have received theirs that's great. I'm happy for them. I'm not getting my hopes up any time soon though. If it comes I'll be happy. If it doesn't it's not the end of the world. So it's a waiting game now. Hang in there everyone as I will too. God bless."

I will continue to pray as I have been doing multiple times a day that those who have not received yet will do so. Take care everyone.

Regular Contributor

I checked my bank this morning and low and behold my stimulus showed up being deposited. Great to get that monkey off my back, now I have to find something else to agonize over (no thank you). For those of you that haven't got yours yet, I hope it comes real soon to you. Wish you all the best.

Cheers

Trusted Contributor

Right Richard. No need in agonizing over anything else if you can help it. You, myself and many of us were agonizing the past few weeks. I just received my $1,200 today as well. So I continue to pray for those who have not. Another post about this is a little longer and a little more detailed than this. As I always say. Hang in there everybody.

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

RichardD753001....Maybe you ought to go fishing today. It might be your lucky day!
0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

J221... that might be true, maybe buy a lottery ticket also 🙂 but here in Florida we are going to have some nasty thunderstorms in our area through out the day so I'm going to wait till next week to do some fishing.
Cheers.
0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

It's truly sad isn't it? Every other day so-called help articles appear everywhere with the same recycled information on what, when and how we are supposed to receive the stimulus. They have no ability to assist us in any capacity whatsoever. Only engaging in false hope and keeping the frustration going. Don't let this Define or Diminish Who You are. Take care.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

People arguing about illegals getting money has nothing to do with the IRS ... but they are getting money from the state of California ... $500 ... just google it ... so enough about it ... I don't agree with it ... but it is what it is ... If you live in California complain to your state government ... not the IRS

Trusted Contributor

Their are people working temporarily in our country and are paying taxes. Just because they are not citizens does not make them illegals. They are working and paying taxes in our country. They should not be referred to as illegals. They are foreign born, not US citizens but work in our country and pay taxes>

In general, a resident alien is subject to the same taxes as a U.S. citizen.
Regular Contributor

BrianH503300: "So enough about it?" I suppose you're accustomed to shutting down conversations in your world. I'll no longer discuss it, because I have nothing else to say about it...not because you say it's enough. 

Spoiler

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

YeeHaa! I was right about the IRS having my info and a payment date set. I just checked my bank account and the $1200 stimulus deposit is pending for the 28th! Finally! From the posts here this morning, it appears they are finally getting to us who were left out of all the previous payments. I sincerely hope everyone here gets good news today!

0 Kudos
Contributor

I received the same this morning, payment date 05/28/20. finally. I hope nothing goes wrong. good luck  everyone & God bless  

Trusted Contributor

Hoping someone can help with this. After weeks of getting Payment Status Not Available on the IRS payment tool, this morning I tried again, and this time it said "The information you have entered does not match our records. Please try again." This was in red above the social security number line and the line was blank. I tried again, same thing. So I tried it again but putting in the dashes in my social security number, and it came back with the message about trying again in 24 hours. I was locked out. Why would I get this message that my social security number doesn't match their records, after never getting it before? Anyone else have this problem?

I want to add, I think the social security number being blanked out is just a security measure. I now think it was probably my address that didn't match. I've always put my address in the same as it is on my SSA 1099. Tomorrow I'll try it like it is with the USPS. That being said, with me now getting that message, I'm hoping they have my info and payment date set. Otherwise I think I would have gotten the usual Payment Status Not Available.

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

Just a footnote...After seeing the pending (May 28) stimulus deposit in my bank account yesterday and wondering why I was locked out of the Get My Payment tool, with it saying my information didn't match theirs, I tried again today. I've always entered my address exactly like it is on my SSA 1099. I figured that would be the address that the IRS got from the SSA. Today I tried again, only this time entering my address exactly like the USPS has it. And it worked. Of course I already knew about my pending deposit, but was curious as to which address the IRS had. Turns out they were using the USPS address, not the SSA address. I hope everyone that's been waiting also received good news.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

I for one, am really getting tired of the wait.  Where the heck IS IT???  I have gotten air conditioners on good faith this money is coming, and I am worried.  I can't afford to ruin my credit again, and these things were charged.  Every day I look at my online bank, and every day, nothing.  When is it coming?  Now they are talking about a second round already, and many of us haven't gotten our first!  Come on already!

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

I get where you're coming from. Though I haven't bought anything based on what I should be getting, I did have the money earmarked for some things I needed on my job. I'm currently working under Social Security's Work While Disabled program working part time hours each week.

The money would be very useful in purchasing some items that would be helpful in doing my job more efficiently. I still haven't gotten those things. However, I won't let them fluster me to the point where I'm going to be thinking about this all day long. I just keep moving right along.

However I do feel for you in and I'm not diminishing what you're going through. I truly hope you get your payment very soon. Take care and hang in there as best you can.

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroids® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP