Highlighted
Contributor

Re: Share your concerns about Social Security

Message 161 of 323

My major concern is that Congress will not fix Social Security until it becomes a true train wreck and becomes "unfixable".  For years they could have taken the limit off earnings to gain more income.  They could also make sure everyone pays in--all government workers and teacher organizations, etc.

They could reduce "future" cost of living raises--this is not a decrease in benefits as described by some.  

Report Inappropriate Content
Highlighted

Message 162 of 323
Will they ever pay back the money they use out of Social Security for other reasons? That is like stealing our money that was suppose to support our retirement. If they would return that sum of money social security would be in great shape. By the way I work for over 40 years and paid all my taxes and they still would take care of foreign and welfare people before seniors would have work there whole life.
Highlighted
Periodic Contributor

Message 163 of 323
Social security is under attack by Republicans who object to it on ideological grounds. They are not going to stop their attack and the only thing keeping them from bringing it down is that they do not control either the senate or the executive office.

But they have convinced large numbers of people the it is "broken" and headed towards bankruptcy - even though neither of those allegations are true. But, they use their lies to convince people that the current system needs to be scrapped.

If they succeed, the people of this country are in trouble.
Highlighted
Contributor

Re: Share your fears about Social Security

Message 164 of 323
The government has always "borrowed" from the fund if that is what you call the fund's investments. Without this investing/borrowing the fund would really be in trouble. The US Treasury has always paid its obligations and will continue to do so.
Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Message 165 of 323
That organizations like AARP, who are supposed to advocate for seniors, are allowing legislation like Government Pension Offset (GPO) and Windfall Elimination Provision (WEP) rob hard-earned retirement income from middle class Americans. AARP always talks the talk about protecting Social Security, but when it comes to GPO & WEP, they certainly don't walk the walk.
Trailsnet is a huge fan of trails: trail travel, trail commuting, trail recreation & trail building.
Highlighted
Periodic Contributor

Message 166 of 323

Due to funding issue, social security benefits would almost certainly be cut down the road.  This is a major concern.  This would put more financial burden on younger Baby Bommers and the generations that follow.  This means we must be more intelligent on investing for our retirement down the road.  Unfortunately, many people are not ready in the position to accept the challenge. 

Highlighted

Message 167 of 323
Keep it going!!!! Raise the limit on what is taxable. Cut out the fraud, esp. on disability claims!!!! I think you could double the limit and solve the problem. I've got to have Social Security to live in just a very few years!!!!
Highlighted
Contributor

Re: Are they going to keep the freeze on Social Security for 2012??????

Message 168 of 323

The problem is that COLA idgnors two essential cosrt factors, food and fuel.  For the purpose of providing Senior Citizens whgo are primarily on Social Secrity, increasses in food costs and fuel costs can present a hardship or put thim into the difficult position of having toask for financial assistance.  The COLA for Social Security calculation should be dynamically recalculated each qukarter and thke Social Security Payments adjusted accordingly.

Highlighted
Periodic Contributor

Message 169 of 323

I'm not overly concerned about the system itself; I understand it is self-funding.  Working people pay the SS tax to keep the fund alive.  I think a concern of mine is if the younger people will not be able to find jobs that allow them to pay the SS taxes.

Highlighted
Regular Social Butterfly

Message 170 of 323

Wifey asking too many questions,  eh.   Getting ideas?  

Here's a remedy for that.   Tell her that you have many,  many beautiful,  investment=grade Diamonds,  the most flawless,  perfect,  amazing gems that you have bought for her.  

Then just say that on the advice of,  er,  aarp message boards,  you put them within an IRA for the favorable tax treatment while they appreciate in value to an astounding amount.  

Uh oh   Better not make any jokes around here.  Over in that other thread I referenced for the poster here,  the box office is setting  records.  Went thru the roof.  Before the poster put up her new post tonite in that thread,  the views for the previous post had hit like close to 2,400.  And that post wasn't really stale,  fairly recent.    

Unless it is a malfunction in the count clicker  here  -  always a possibility with the site screwups here    =  that is pretty amazing to me so many people eating this stuff up. 

WhaddaYou  make of it.......??????

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Thursday, July 9 – Coronavirus Event

1 p.m. ET - Answering Your Frequently Asked Questions

Call: 1-855-274-9507

Top Authors