Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 161 of 329
women who never worked received half of husbands and he gets all his.NOT RIGHT Women who worked are penalized for working.Makes no sense to me!!!!!!!!!!!!
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 162 of 329
That the purpose for which Social security was founded will be eroded so much that seniors will fall easily into a poverty stricken existence.
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 163 of 329

George -

You are absolutely right about this. I wholeheartedly stand against Fred Griesbach's efforts (along with those of "The Can Kicks Back" the "Balanced Budget Amendment" and the like). The idea that a country with a fully fiat currency like the US Dollar might need to "cut SS to save it" is utter nonsense. If people understood how their own national currency works, Fred would not be able to mount this attack on Social Security. When we were on the edge of the Great Recession, the Gov't could have afforded to suspend payroll taxes (while making up the difference to the OASDI Trust Funds itself) and raise the minimum SS pay to $2,000/mo. 

When a country uses a fully fiat currency that floats on the foreign exchange, the question is never about it's ability to leave enough of that currency in the private sector to support a brisk economy, rather it's a question of whether or not we have enough REAL goods and services to go around. The Federal Government should point it's efforts towards balancing the economy, not "the budget". Balancing the budget is for individuals, biz and local governments (i.e., users of the national currency). Not for the sole net issuer of the national currency.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Periodic Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 164 of 329

I just saw an Associated Press article today regarding Nazi and SS that relocated to this country and how much they collected in Social Security and being promised they could keep their benefits if they would leave??

I certainly do not want  to offend anyone.

I'm including the link.... am I reading this right ? Is this outrageous when our benefits are constantly threatened ?

http://a.msn.com/r/2/BBa86Z2?a=1&m=en-us

Kudos
Views
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 165 of 329
kayleerae wrote
I began receiving Social Security at 65. I have since been deemed completely and permanently disabled due to several medical problems the worst of which is degenerative disc disease in my spine. I would like to have my status changed to show I am disabled. Why am I being told that is impossible as you have only one opportunity to declare this and that is when you first sign up? Caroline Miller
==================================================
I'm kind of confused here . . . . .
What difference would it make since you are already 65 years old ?

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 166 of 329

I began receiving Social Security at 65.  I have since been deemed completely and permanently disabled due to several medical problems the worst of which is degenerative disc disease in my spine.  I would like to have my status changed to show I am disabled.  Why am I being told that is impossible as you have only one opportunity to declare this and that is when you first sign up?  Caroline Miller

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 167 of 329

My major concern is that Congress will not fix Social Security until it becomes a true train wreck and becomes "unfixable".  For years they could have taken the limit off earnings to gain more income.  They could also make sure everyone pays in--all government workers and teacher organizations, etc.

They could reduce "future" cost of living raises--this is not a decrease in benefits as described by some.  

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 168 of 329
Will they ever pay back the money they use out of Social Security for other reasons? That is like stealing our money that was suppose to support our retirement. If they would return that sum of money social security would be in great shape. By the way I work for over 40 years and paid all my taxes and they still would take care of foreign and welfare people before seniors would have work there whole life.
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Periodic Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 169 of 329
Social security is under attack by Republicans who object to it on ideological grounds. They are not going to stop their attack and the only thing keeping them from bringing it down is that they do not control either the senate or the executive office.

But they have convinced large numbers of people the it is "broken" and headed towards bankruptcy - even though neither of those allegations are true. But, they use their lies to convince people that the current system needs to be scrapped.

If they succeed, the people of this country are in trouble.
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 170 of 329
The government has always "borrowed" from the fund if that is what you call the fund's investments. Without this investing/borrowing the fund would really be in trouble. The US Treasury has always paid its obligations and will continue to do so.
Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

September is Emergency Preparedness month.

Do you have an emergency plan in place?

Share or ask questions today.

Emergency preparedness kit