Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Share your concerns about Social Security

Share your concerns about Social Security

1)     In the article,  Social Security Fears, many Social Security myths are addressed. What concerns you the most about Social Security? 

In Response to Re: Share your fears about Social Security:
I am new to receiving Social Security.  Last week I went to the grocery store and bought staples, many of which were not previously prepared foods.  When I arrived home, I went to my files and checked the same 19 items that I purchased this time last year and found that I had paid 30% more this year than last for the same items.  Gasoline has increased almost double (average) in the last 12 months.  Most federal employees, including US Congressmen, have received cost of living increases.  Some in the amount of 16% increase in one year, as per the US News reported on television.  I have been told that the Social Security recipients have NOT received even a cost of living increase for at least three years (as per local recipients).  Is there a chance that this inequity of passing out increases will be addressed?  And When? Jack V. Smith
Posted by Powderhorn63

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Our Republican leadership in Congress has it all figured out, they know that its much easier to pick on our already struggling seniors, disabled and Veteran's with cuts to our Social Security and Medicare benefits.
   Afterall, we are looked upon as just a burden to them, unless of course we are wealthy seniors. Wealthy seniors are apparently the only ones who deserve to survive with dignity.
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Get ready our beloved seniors, because here come the Republicans with their axes ready to cut your Social Security and Medicare benefits you earned and  worked your whole life for !!!
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Jan, The Plutocrats in Congress dont want to talk about the almost 4 TRILLION  in lost tax revenue from the Bush Tax Cuts for the wealthy,nor do they want to talk about the TRILLIONS of dollars the unnecessary Iraq War cost. We cant get a total cost for the Iraq War because we are still paying to repair the broken lives of our brave wounded soldiers, who have returned mentally and physically disabled. We are still rebuilding Iraq's infrastructure, but the Halliburtons of America are doing just fine, thank you. Those no bid contracts did wonders for our deficit too. 
   I get a kick out of people who blame President Obama for our deficit, as If President Bush paid all the debt he created when he left office. No to the contrary, the cash register is still ringing  loudly from President Bush's " Mission Accomplishments ". : According to the US TREASURY ---Over 10 years, the total revenue loss from the tax cuts to the weathiest .... comes to $3.9 trillion.      Social Security does not contribute to the deficit.      So---Washington doesn't want to increase taxes but willing to make " cuts"  (no matter what they may call it ) to   Soc Security for the ones who need it or will need it the most.         Should they vote to cut Soc Security and not raise taxes on the richest and I WILL support a primary challenge to kick all of these thugs   out of office  and have called or e-mailed all the republicans--and democrats saying the same thing.    
Posted by JANMB
Honored Social Butterfly

IPn Response to Re: Share your fears about Social Security : According to the US TREASURY ---Over 10 years, the total revenue loss from the tax cuts to the weathiest .... comes to $3.9 trillion.      Social Security does not contribute to the deficit.      So---Washington doesn't want to increase taxes but willing to make " cuts"  (no matter what they may call it ) to   Soc Security for the ones who need it or will need it the most.         Should they vote to cut Soc Security and not raise taxes on the richest and I WILL support a primary challenge to kick all of these thugs   out of office  and have called or e-mailed all the republicans--and democrats saying the same thing.    
Posted by JANMB

I don't know about the figures but just imagine what we have lost with ALL the tax cuts & tax code giveaways in those last 10+ years.  Including the tax code giveaway to employers and employees on their health care benefits which they are given in lieu of wages with no income tax or FICA tax paid or matched.

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

IPn Response to Re: Share your fears about Social Security:
  You have to stand up and be heard by contacting your elected representatives.Tell them to preserve S.S. and Medicare and that you wont stand for any cuts in your COLA. I have sent countless letters to my representatives. My Democrat representatives have promiised to preserve both, but my Republican representative has said we need to reduce the COLA and that we cant afford to maintain our current S.S. and Medicare entitlements.Response to Re: Share your fears about Social Security :
Posted by mandm84

According to the US TREASURY ---Over 10 years, the total revenue loss from the tax cuts to the weathiest .... comes to $3.9 trillion.     

Social Security does not contribute to the deficit.  

So---Washington doesn't want to increase taxes but willing to make " cuts"  (no matter what they may call it ) to   Soc Security for the ones who need it or will need it the most.        

Should they vote to cut Soc Security and not raise taxes on the richest and I WILL support a primary challenge to kick all of these thugs   out of office  and have called or e-mailed all the republicans--and democrats saying the same thing.    
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Good thought commonerssense. I would waive mine and if just 25% of us did, How many Billions are we looking at. It's a start. Response to Re: Share your fears about Social Security :
Posted by mandm84

They only pay it out once per SS number so for all those widows/widowers who are drawing the benefits of their deceased spouse because it is a higher amount than their, then this death benefit savings is a mute point.
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Good thought commonerssense. I would waive mine and if just 25% of us did, How many Billions are we looking at. It's a start. Response to Re: Share your fears about Social Security:
Just a  thought. Has any one considered how much ssa could save if the $250 death benefit could be limited to those who truly need it?
Posted by commonerssense
0 Kudos

Just a  thought. Has any one considered how much ssa could save if the $250 death benefit could be limited to those who truly need it?
0 Kudos
Recognized Social Butterfly

In Response to Re: Share your fears about Social Security :
The government is now referring to our Social Security checks as a “Federal Benefit Payment.” This isn’t a benefit – its earned income! Not only did we all contribute to Social Security but our employers did too.   It totaled 15% of our income before taxes. If you averaged $30K per year over your working life, that's close to $180,000 invested in Social Security.   If you calculate the future value of your monthly investment in socialsecurity ($375/month, including both your and your employer’s contributions) at a meager 1% interest rate compounded monthly, after 40 years of working you'd have more than $1.3+ million dollars saved! This is your personal investment .   Upon retirement, if you took out only 3% per year, you'd receive $39,318 per year, or $3,277 per month .   That’s almost three times more than today’s average Social Security benefit of $1,230 per month, according to the Social Security Administration (Google it - it’s a fact).   And your retirement fund would last more than 33 years (until you're 98 if you retire at age 65)! I can only imagine how much better most average-income people could live in retirement if our government had just invested our money in low-risk interest-earning accounts.   Instead, the folks in Washington pulled off a bigger Ponzi scheme than Bernie Madoff ever did. They took our money and used it elsewhere. They “forgot” that it was OUR money they were taking. They didn’t have a referendum to ask us if we wanted to lend the money to them.   And they didn’t pay interest on the debt they assumed. And recently, they’ve told us that the money won’t support us for very much longer. But is it our fault they misused our investments?   And now, to add insult to injury, they’re calling it a “benefit,” as if we never worked to earn every penny of it. Just because they “borrowed” the money, doesn't mean that our investments were a charity! Let’s take a stand.   We have earned our right to Social Security and Medicare. Demand that our legislators bring some sense into our government! Find a way to keep Social Security and Medicare going, for the sake of that 92% of our population who need it.   Then call it what it is: Our Earned Retirement Income. Posted by bdholmes
Besides our contributions and our employer's contributions as a part of our wage-package....people forget it isn't really a savings account. and not meant to be fairly distributed where some people die before they even collect and some collect more when they live a  long time.   Overall, it has been the most successful program EVER.       Nearly one in three beneficiaries of SOCIAL SECURITY are not retirees; such people receive disability benefits, 1% are aged, 56% disabled, and 31% disabled children often disabled for life, according to the Social Security Administration.  IF the SS fund invested in the stock market this past decade...all these people would be in the creek without a paddle.  Then what if you lose your job... or your business isn't doing well..... or have a catastrophic illness or weather related event.....uhhuh-- well people did and had to use up their 401K.'s.....how well are they  going to be able to recover and save $$  remains to be seen and isn't it great at least they could count on SS  if republicans don't get their fingers on it. ?  .          If they  reduce the outflow of Social Security, that money would not go into the general fund to reduce the deficit and that's a fACT.  .    IF they reduce the outflow of SS----more people will be on welfare/food stamps and how does that help ?  The fund is okay for the next decades and no one can predict what our economy will be like at that time.   The pessimist of our society would certainly destroy lives of people right now by using fake stats to scare people.                  
Posted by JANMB

SS  has two parts. One is the OA benefit annuity and the other is really welfare like SSDI ,children's benefits etc. that are needed. If the SS budget only included the first part no changes would be needede because FICA wopuld cover the cost. The second part is needed, but should really be paid for from ALL revenue sources not just workers and businesses as FICA.  Increasing FICA taxes makes our production less competitive with places that don't tax businesses the way we do and loses jobs here.
Karl.  
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Republican Speaker Boehner recently stated he would accept a tax rate hike for those making over $1 Million dollars per year, BUT he is asking for $1 Trillion dollars in cuts to our Medicare/ Medicaid and cutting our yearly Social Security cost of living increases. How much more will you have  to pay for healthcare, with $1 trillion less in coverage and can you survive without a cost of living increase ???    I knew the Republicans   in Congress would ask our struggling seniors, disabled and Veterans to struggle even more with less, while protecting the wealthy first and foremost. Contact your representatives and tell them NO to cuts in our healthcare and NO to cuts in our Social Security cost of living adjustment ( COLA )..Response to Re: Share your fears about Social Security :
Posted by mandm84

I believe that you have it confused - President Obama's plan offers up the chained CPI method of computing COLA.
The method used to calculate it is designed by the BLS and it affects a whole lot more than just COLA for SS, disabled Veterans.

HuffPost Politics 12/18/2012:  Nancy Pelosi Predicts 'Democrats Will Stick With The President' On Fi...

WASHINGTON -- House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) is convinced her fellow Democrats will get behind the White House's latest "fiscal cliff" deal that cuts Social Security benefits and increases taxes on the middle class. . . .

President Barack Obama's latest offer in the fiscal cliff negotiations would allow the payroll tax holiday to expire, meaning middle-class workers will see smaller paychecks in 2013. It also proposes a Social Security reform known as "chained CPI" that would reduce the benefits senior citizens receive through Social Security.

Additionally, Obama's latest offer would permanently extend the Bush tax cuts for incomes of less than $400,000. Previously, the president had insisted that taxes increase on families with income above $250,000.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Republican Speaker Boehner recently stated he would accept a tax rate hike for those making over $1 Million dollars per year, BUT he is asking for $1 Trillion dollars in cuts to our Medicare/ Medicaid and cutting our yearly Social Security cost of living increases. How much more will you have  to pay for healthcare, with $1 trillion less in coverage and can you survive without a cost of living increase ???
   I knew the Republicans   in Congress would ask our struggling seniors, disabled and Veterans to struggle even more with less, while protecting the wealthy first and foremost. Contact your representatives and tell them NO to cuts in our healthcare and NO to cuts in our Social Security cost of living adjustment ( COLA )..Response to Re: Share your fears about Social Security:
  Now Gail, I consider myself a compassionate human being and believe that its not right to ask for more from those who are already struggling to survive. The Social Security system has worked well for years until a Plutocratic ideology took form during the Bush Administration and all of a sudden our seniors, disabled and Veterans are too costly and we cant afford Social Security anymore.  Corporate America doesn't like your " Numbers Issue " either, of having to preserve Social Security, it cuts into their " Greed and Profits". The Plutocrat Republicans in Congress would love to turn Social Security over to the Wall Street Pirates.      Response to Re: Share your fears about Social Security :
Posted by mandm84
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Now Gail, I consider myself a compassionate human being and believe that its not right to ask for more from those who are already struggling to survive. The Social Security system has worked well for years until a Plutocratic ideology took form during the Bush Administration and all of a sudden our seniors, disabled and Veterans are too costly and we cant afford Social Security anymore.
 Corporate America doesn't like your " Numbers Issue " either, of having to preserve Social Security, it cuts into their " Greed and Profits". The Plutocrat Republicans in Congress would love to turn Social Security over to the Wall Street Pirates.  
   Response to Re: Share your fears about Social Security:
In Response to Re: Share your fears about Social Security : Now, mandm84, you know that this person (that you are replying to) should understand that SS benefits are weighted towards those who put in the least. For the poster figures to be anywhere near correct, he should understand that he or she does NOT get a direct credit for what they (and their employers) put into the system. When we use to get that SS statement in the mail from them every year - I wondered how many people noticed that it was only their portion of the paid tax shown - the employers portion was never included. This is NOT a Democrat or Republican issue, it is pure and simple, a numbers issue - where 2 + 2 doesn't = 4 but more like 10. If we need to pay more into the system, why don't you want the emplyee health care benefits taxed like the "in lieu" of wages that they really are - we'd get more income tax revenues on these "in lieu" of wages benefits, more SS revenues and more Medicare revenues from employees and employers alike. We already have SSI and Medicaid for the poor - I don't think you want to turn SS and Medicare into pure charity programs - by law, SS is an insurance program, not a retirement plan.  By law, Medicare is there for all who have been vested - however benefits can be manipulated & redefined for cost saving measures.
Posted by GailL1

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

The government is now referring to our Social Security checks as a “Federal Benefit Payment.” This isn’t a benefit – its earned income! Not only did we all contribute to Social Security but our employers did too.   It totaled 15% of our income before taxes. If you averaged $30K per year over your working life, that's close to $180,000 invested in Social Security.   If you calculate the future value of your monthly investment in socialsecurity ($375/month, including both your and your employer’s contributions) at a meager 1% interest rate compounded monthly, after 40 years of working you'd have more than $1.3+ million dollars saved! This is your personal investment .   Upon retirement, if you took out only 3% per year, you'd receive $39,318 per year, or $3,277 per month .   That’s almost three times more than today’s average Social Security benefit of $1,230 per month, according to the Social Security Administration (Google it - it’s a fact).   And your retirement fund would last more than 33 years (until you're 98 if you retire at age 65)! I can only imagine how much better most average-income people could live in retirement if our government had just invested our money in low-risk interest-earning accounts.   Instead, the folks in Washington pulled off a bigger Ponzi scheme than Bernie Madoff ever did. They took our money and used it elsewhere. They “forgot” that it was OUR money they were taking. They didn’t have a referendum to ask us if we wanted to lend the money to them.   And they didn’t pay interest on the debt they assumed. And recently, they’ve told us that the money won’t support us for very much longer. But is it our fault they misused our investments?   And now, to add insult to injury, they’re calling it a “benefit,” as if we never worked to earn every penny of it. Just because they “borrowed” the money, doesn't mean that our investments were a charity! Let’s take a stand.   We have earned our right to Social Security and Medicare. Demand that our legislators bring some sense into our government! Find a way to keep Social Security and Medicare going, for the sake of that 92% of our population who need it.   Then call it what it is: Our Earned Retirement Income.
Posted by bdholmes

Besides our contributions and our employer's contributions as a part of our wage-package....people forget it isn't really a savings account. and not meant to be fairly distributed where some people die before they even collect and some collect more when they live a  long time.   Overall, it has been the most successful program EVER.      

Nearly one in three beneficiaries of SOCIAL SECURITY are not retirees; such people receive disability benefits, 1% are aged, 56% disabled, and 31% disabled children often disabled for life, according to the Social Security Administration. 

IF the SS fund invested in the stock market this past decade...all these people would be in the creek without a paddle.  Then what if you lose your job... or your business isn't doing well..... or have a catastrophic illness or weather related event.....uhhuh-- well people did and had to use up their 401K.'s.....how well are they  going to be able to recover and save $$  remains to be seen and isn't it great at least they could count on SS  if republicans don't get their fingers on it. ?  .         
If they  reduce the outflow of Social Security, that money would not go into the general fund to reduce the deficit and that's a fACT.  .    IF they reduce the outflow of SS----more people will be on welfare/food stamps and how does that help ? 

The fund is okay for the next decades and no one can predict what our economy will be like at that time.   The pessimist of our society would certainly destroy lives of people right now by using fake stats to scare people.    

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

You have to stand up and be heard by contacting your elected representatives.Tell them to preserve S.S. and Medicare and that you wont stand for any cuts in your COLA. I have sent countless letters to my representatives. My Democrat representatives have promiised to preserve both, but my Republican representative has said we need to reduce the COLA and that we cant afford to maintain our current S.S. and Medicare etitlements.Response to Re: Share your fears about Social Security :
Posted by mandm84

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

You have to stand up and be heard by contacting your elected representatives.Tell them to preserve S.S. and Medicare and that you wont stand for any cuts in your COLA. I have sent countless letters to my representatives. My Democrat representatives have promiised to preserve both, but my Republican representative has said we need to reduce the COLA and that we cant afford to maintain our current S.S. and Medicare etitlements.Response to Re: Share your fears about Social Security :
Posted by mandm84

Now, mandm84, you know that this person (that you are replying to) should understand that SS benefits are weighted towards those who put in the least.

For the poster figures to be anywhere near correct, he should understand that he or she does NOT get a direct credit for what they (and their employers) put into the system.

When we use to get that SS statement in the mail from them every year - I wondered how many people noticed that it was only their portion of the paid tax shown - the employers portion was never included.

This is NOT a Democrat or Republican issue, it is pure and simple, a numbers issue - where 2 + 2 doesn't = 4 but more like 10.

If we need to pay more into the system, why don't you want the emplyee health care benefits taxed like the "in lieu" of wages that they really are - we'd get more income tax revenues on these "in lieu" of wages benefits, more SS revenues and more Medicare revenues from employees and employers alike.

We already have SSI and Medicaid for the poor - I don't think you want to turn SS and Medicare into pure charity programs - by law, SS is an insurance program, not a retirement plan.  By law, Medicare is there for all who have been vested - however benefits can be manipulated & redefined for cost saving measures.
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

You have to stand up and be heard by contacting your elected representatives.Tell them to preserve S.S. and Medicare and that you wont stand for any cuts in your COLA. I have sent countless letters to my representatives. My Democrat representatives have promiised to preserve both, but my Republican representative has said we need to reduce the COLA and that we cant afford to maintain our current S.S. and Medicare entitlements.Response to Re: Share your fears about Social Security:
The government is now referring to our Social Security checks as a “Federal Benefit Payment.” This isn’t a benefit – its earned income! Not only did we all contribute to Social Security but our employers did too.   It totaled 15% of our income before taxes. If you averaged $30K per year over your working life, that's close to $180,000 invested in Social Security.   If you calculate the future value of your monthly investment in socialsecurity ($375/month, including both your and your employer’s contributions) at a meager 1% interest rate compounded monthly, after 40 years of working you'd have more than $1.3+ million dollars saved! This is your personal investment .   Upon retirement, if you took out only 3% per year, you'd receive $39,318 per year, or $3,277 per month .   That’s almost three times more than today’s average Social Security benefit of $1,230 per month, according to the Social Security Administration (Google it - it’s a fact).   And your retirement fund would last more than 33 years (until you're 98 if you retire at age 65)! I can only imagine how much better most average-income people could live in retirement if our government had just invested our money in low-risk interest-earning accounts.   Instead, the folks in Washington pulled off a bigger Ponzi scheme than Bernie Madoff ever did. They took our money and used it elsewhere. They “forgot” that it was OUR money they were taking. They didn’t have a referendum to ask us if we wanted to lend the money to them.   And they didn’t pay interest on the debt they assumed. And recently, they’ve told us that the money won’t support us for very much longer. But is it our fault they misused our investments?   And now, to add insult to injury, they’re calling it a “benefit,” as if we never worked to earn every penny of it. Just because they “borrowed” the money, doesn't mean that our investments were a charity! Let’s take a stand.   We have earned our right to Social Security and Medicare. Demand that our legislators bring some sense into our government! Find a way to keep Social Security and Medicare going, for the sake of that 92% of our population who need it.   Then call it what it is: Our Earned Retirement Income.
Posted by bdholmes
0 Kudos

The government is now referring to our Social Security checks as a “Federal Benefit Payment.”

This isn’t a benefit – its earned income! Not only did we all contribute to Social Security but our employers did too.

It totaled 15% of our income before taxes. If you averaged $30K per year over your working life, that's close to $180,000 invested in Social Security.

If you calculate the future value of your monthly investment in socialsecurity ($375/month, including both your and your employer’s contributions) at a meager 1% interest rate compounded monthly, after 40 years of working you'd have more than $1.3+ million dollars saved! This is your personal investment .

Upon retirement, if you took out only 3% per year, you'd receive $39,318 per year, or $3,277 per month .

That’s almost three times more than today’s average Social Security benefit of $1,230 per month, according to the Social Security Administration (Google it - it’s a fact).

And your retirement fund would last more than 33 years (until you're 98 if you retire at age 65)! I can only imagine how much better most average-income people could live in retirement if our government had just invested our money in low-risk interest-earning accounts.

Instead, the folks in Washington pulled off a bigger Ponzi scheme than Bernie Madoff ever did. They took our money and used it elsewhere. They “forgot” that it was OUR money they were taking. They didn’t have a referendum to ask us if we wanted to lend the money to them.

And they didn’t pay interest on the debt they assumed. And recently, they’ve told us that the money won’t support us for very much longer. But is it our fault they misused our investments?

And now, to add insult to injury, they’re calling it a “benefit,” as if we never worked to earn every penny of it. Just because they “borrowed” the money, doesn't mean that our investments were a charity!

Let’s take a stand.

We have earned our right to Social Security and Medicare. Demand that our legislators bring some sense into our government!

Find a way to keep Social Security and Medicare going, for the sake of that 92% of our population who need it.

Then call it what it is: Our Earned Retirement Income.
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Jan, It looks like the Republican leadership in Congress isn't going to compromise to help those who are struggling. The Republicans insist that we can afford to keep giving the wealthy tax breaks and loop holes, but we just can't afford to keep the current Social Security and Medicare benefits for our seniors, disabled, Veterans and progarms for our poor children. When does the greed and selfishness end ??? Response to Re: Share your fears about Social Security :
Posted by mandm84

In order to bring in more revenues to Social Security and Medicare, I wonder why we don't pursue taxing those benefits that employees get in lieu of wages.  Like health insurance or other benefits that employers give without actually giving money as a salary - this is one of the greatest tax loopholes for businesses because they don't have to match the payroll tax contributions and the employees aren't paying income taxes nor their share of payroll taxes either.

Honored Social Butterfly

Jan, It looks like the Republican leadership in Congress isn't going to compromise to help those who are struggling. The Republicans insist that we can afford to keep giving the wealthy tax breaks and loop holes, but we just can't afford to keep the current Social Security and Medicare benefits for our seniors, disabled, Veterans and progarms for our poor children. When does the greed and selfishness end ??? Response to Re: Share your fears about Social Security:
In Response to Re: Share your fears about Social Security : The amount of funds going to SS has not changed. The general fund is transferring the 2% into the system.   President Obama knew that when the private sector was blowing up only government could provide the relief.  The republicans need to STOP  using the deficit as a phony excuse to gut our Social Security!'  IT  is one of the phoniest excuses ever invented.    QUOTE FROM IKE EISENHOWER "  Should any political party attempt to abolish social security, unemployment insurance, and eliminate labor laws and farm programs, you would not hear of that party again in our political history" The Republicans feel they just can not allow a government run program that succeeded to stand. It disproves their held position that government can do nothing well   . They will not be satisfied until they have killed these programs that have served the people so well.     We have seen them try to starve them to death or put incompetents in charge to prove their contention.     And they will never stop trying to erase this and other good government programs because they can not stand to be proven wrong.  
Posted by JANMB

Honored Social Butterfly

The Republicans or should I say the Tea Party Plutocrats of today like more government when it supports their agenda allowing the rich to get richer with cuts in benefits on the struggling backs of our lower & middle class workers, seniors, disabled, poor children and Veterans. Thats when more government is needed, to help the rich remain just that, while the rest fall behind. The Tea Party sure has been a blessing.Response to Re: Share your fears about Social Security:
In Response to Re: Share your fears about Social Security : The amount of funds going to SS has not changed. The general fund is transferring the 2% into the system.   President Obama knew that when the private sector was blowing up only government could provide the relief.  The republicans need to STOP  using the deficit as a phony excuse to gut our Social Security!'  IT  is one of the phoniest excuses ever invented.    QUOTE FROM IKE EISENHOWER "  Should any political party attempt to abolish social security, unemployment insurance, and eliminate labor laws and farm programs, you would not hear of that party again in our political history" The Republicans feel they just can not allow a government run program that succeeded to stand. It disproves their held position that government can do nothing well   . They will not be satisfied until they have killed these programs that have served the people so well.     We have seen them try to starve them to death or put incompetents in charge to prove their contention.     And they will never stop trying to erase this and other good government programs because they can not stand to be proven wrong.  
Posted by JANMB

Honored Social Butterfly

I have a question.  I recieve Social Security Disability Benefits. When i am of retirement age, will I only recieve my retiement benefit or will I recieve both? 
Posted by wrkman25

You will receive your retirement benefit at your full retirement age - I assume that will be 66 years old.
The Disability payment will stop at that time.
You can get Medicare benefits after you have been on Disability for 24 months unless you turn 65 before that time period is up.

I have a question.  I recieve Social Security Disability Benefits. When i am of retirement age, will I only recieve my retiement benefit or will I recieve both? 

In Response to Share your fears about Social Security:
1)       In the article,    Social Security Fears , many  Social Security myths  are addressed.  What concerns you the most about Social Security? 
Posted by AARPMiller

The amount the part B is going to increase in the next two to three years.
Periodic Contributor

My greatest fear is that the independent voters will believe the Republican propaganda and vote to privatise Social Security.  This will increase the cost and decrease the money available to those who need it the most.  Every one on Social Secupity KNOWS every time our COLA is re-assesed we get even less than what the cost of living actually is.  If they (The Republicans) were really concerned, medication would be figured into the COLA. As it is, I cannot afford to have a car, eat out, go to a show, or travle outside of my bike riding rainge.  When my arthritus gets too bad to ride a bike anymore, I'll hobble down to Republican headquarters and set myself on fire.

That I won't be able to get it!  I worked in the business sector for 10 years, but also taught school for 28 years.  Seems if you are a teacher when you retire, you are out of luck????????????  I need to know how to approach the social security office when I apply.  Do I need to apply at 62 or wait until 66?  Will I be able to draw what my earnings reports from the social security office say I will?

1)       In the article,    Social Security Fears , many  Social Security myths  are addressed.  What concerns you the most about Social Security? 
Posted by AARPMiller
Lack of knowledge about SS.  It is a political issue and each side says what supports thier position at the time.  Lots of mis information and no one in congress states all the facts.  My fear is that the public who controls the votes will support the person who addresses their immediate concern without regard to all the other positions.  Also, once something is put in writing a lot of people take it as gospel truth and nothing can change their minds.  The other thing is that in the end the solution that will be decided upon will be to get rid of SS by doing nothing. It along with Medicare needs to be adjusted so that future generations who need it can get it.  Things I think need to be done is  Payment in payroll taxes have no limit,  Your income at time of retirement determines amount you get.  AS for disability insurance there should be a time limit for determining eligiability.  My brother had to have his foot amputated last December.  He applied and is still waiting for decision on eligibility.  He has tried to find out where it stands but is ignored.

In Response to Re: Share your fears about Social Security : Stop believing everything you hear from the leftist media.  This is just garbage as any rational person would know if they took the time to actually check the facts.  
Posted by AbbyFred

You are saying that the NEW YORK TIMES is printing lies about Cain and Perry positions? Their positions came straight out of their books. Look it up. You need to check the facts. You need to wake up and open your eyes to what they are actually saying out loud every day and stop believing the garbage of Fox news.
Periodic Contributor

Personally I fear that Social Security will not be around for my children and grandchildren and I pray that I am wrong,because if you pay into Social Security you should get what you put into it out of Social Security.
marvinjr
Periodic Contributor

Personally I very concern about my children and grandchildren that Social Security might not be around for them and this my fear and I pray that this don't happen at all..
marvinjr!

Posted by AARPMiller

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP