Refresh your driving skills and you could save on your auto insurance! Sign up for the AARP Smart Driver course.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Share your fears about Social Security

Message 251 of 320
Personally I fear that Social Security will not be around for my children and grandchildren and I pray that I am wrong,because if you pay into Social Security you should get what you put into it out of Social Security.
marvinjr
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 252 of 320
Personally I very concern about my children and grandchildren that Social Security might not be around for them and this my fear and I pray that this don't happen at all..
marvinjr!

In Response to Share your fears about Social Security:
1)       In the article,    Social Security Fears , many  Social Security myths  are addressed.  What concerns you the most about Social Security? 
Posted by AARPMiller

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 253 of 320

The reason why this is being called a Ponzi scheme is because the  Government under President Johnson raided the coiffers of the Social Security.  They took al the money and spent it.  Now people that are working today are paying for people that are currently on SS.  Sooner or later the money runs out, as more and more people are living longer and they are giving the SS benifits to illeagal aliens and all the others that scheme their way to being on the dole.  If I had every penny I put into SS in my life time and was able to invest it my way (even just with interest bearing CD's)  I would be on easy street today.  I have had no cost of living increase for 3 years in my SS. and in 2012 we are finally getting it.  That is because of a major increase in Part B and in the Drug program.  There also have been smaller increases over the past 3 years.  By the time it all shakes out, we should be in the same state we were 3 years ago.  That is nothing but pure Government BS under this President.  It is time to get Obama out of this office

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 254 of 320
I have been paying into Social Security since I was 16, and that is nearly 40 years now. I am threatened and frightened by the "SuperCommittee's" charge to reduce the defecit through de-funding Social Security and Medicare. I am especially concerned when the 55 - year cut-off is thrown about as a possibility. I have worked continuously in the US my entire life in government and non-profit agencies for nearly all of that time. How could my country turn their back on me? My husband is retired from the US Army and wonders the same. Please continue to advocate for all of us who are over 50, and not just make a cut-off at age 55.  Thank you.
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 255 of 320
I retired at 62and obtained SSI. I then was determined to be disabled and now obtaining SSDI. I was on a Medicaid program after I retired, due to a MVA, and chronic illness of 54 yrs. After SSDI was proclaimed I am now unable to continue with Medicaid due to money in an IRA: they call it resources, which I am not touching until 65. My husband is unemployed at present, so I have no health coverage at all. What Am I able to do until he goes back to work? Would appreciate any helpful hints, thank-you! I live in New Mexico.
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 256 of 320
In the latest AARP Bulletin, the editor, Jim Toedtman, asserts that the SS "administrative costs are practically nothing." Given the '08 admin budget was $9.6 Billion  http://www.ssa.gov/budget/2008bud.pdf and SSA employs approximately 62,000 people http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_Security_Administration, I find $154,839 per worker is hardly nothing. This statement and most of AARP's alleged myths are unadulterated BS.
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 257 of 320
In Response to Re: Share your fears about Social Security:
Well, I'm on SSDI, can't work at all, and my monthly check has just been reduced by 400.00. This is due to  a new WEP process that figures your monthly payments differently than before - so I'm already freaked out - I have bills to pay and the amount I'm getting will put me in the hole - can't even afford to rejoin AARP this year......any ideas??
Posted by dougbarnes9

Hi dougbarnes9,

Did you know that AARP currently has a hardship membership offer? You can learn more about it on the AARP Job Hunting site.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 258 of 320
I read an article that medicare premiums will go up quite a bit for 2012 and to right around $245.00 by 2013 is this true?  How do we find out what is going to be taken from our SS checks now? How can we, the retired, protect ourselves?  Who can answer and  who will?
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Share your fears about Social Security taxation without adjustments for inflation!

Message 259 of 320
In Response to Re: Share your fears about Social Security taxation without adjustments for inflation!:
My fear is the taxation of social security according to income.  It is one tax, the only tax that is not adjusted for inflation, never has been and it's so unfair to begin with.  We paid taxes when we paid our social security on our earnings already. When will our representatives do something to at least include "adjusting". I have written to our reps but everyone needs to do the same.
Posted by medinamg

I may be wrong, but if you look up info on ss, you will find that you have to be making a LOT of money to have your social security taxed....not an amount most of will ever make....check it out.
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 260 of 320
My biggest fear about social security is that we don't always get the best, truthful information about what is really going on; who can we trust?  Republicans say one thing, Democrats another; AARP sometimes not a whole lot we can really understand....am I hopeless????
Kudos
Views