Get the vision care news and information you need in the AARP Eye Center.

Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Repealing the Social Security Windfall Elimination Provision And Pension Offset 2017 Legislation

Message 11 of 110

There is current legislation H.R. 141-Social Security Fairness Act of 2019 currently in the Ways and Means Committee.   The sole purpose of this legislation is to repeal the WEP and GPO.

It currently has 110 co-sponsors.   You can read the text of the bill at:   https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-congress/house-bill/141/text?q=%7B%22search%22%3A%5B%22HR+141%22...

PLEASE e-mail the committee (wmdem.submissions@mail.house.gov) and urge them to move this bill to the Floor for immediate vote.  Check to see if your Reprensentative is a co-sponsor.  If so, e-mail or call their office and urge them to move on this legislation.  If not, urge them to sign on as a co-sponsor.  

This doesn't give recovery for back loss, but it does remove future deductions.  I'll take that as a first step. 

There is power in numbers so the more folks that make contact the better!

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Repealing the Social Security Windfall Elimination Provision And Pension Offset 2017 Legislation

Message 12 of 110

@SusanS26428 wrote:

The bottom line is: Even the legislators agree that it's wrong - hence the bills before them ...debating on here whether it's right or wrong is pointless.  The fact that if you were hired after Dec 31st 1983, you are not affected proves they realized it was wrong 36 years ago! 

So, I don't understand the attacks on us for wanting what is already determined by legislators to be our rightful earnings. 

The issue is whether or not the legislators will fix it. Fixing it will tax an already taxed Social Security system (another issue that is not of our making). 

I hope and pray they see our struggle, and for many, it's a real struggle, one that ultimately could be literally life or death.  

People hired after 12/31/83 are not affected because they changed the Federal Retirement system and anyone hired after that time paid into Social Security.

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 110

The phrase " Double Dipping" has been used several times. Double dipping refers to eating out of the same pot twice without using a clean spoon. If a person pays into Social Security and his/her's pension plan, they are not double dipping. The two accounts have nothing to do with each other.

Social Security requires 40 quarters to be vested. 

If Mary works 40 quarters and then goes on welfare,she will get all her Social Security.

Jane however works 20 years decides to be a Teacher teaches for 15 years retires only to find out her Social Security has been greatly decreased. Jane getting all her SS would not be double dipping since the money is paid out of seperate account. Her not getting all of it is a great injustice.

The real reason WEP/GPO exist is SS did not have enough money to meet it's bills so like every other time the Government has a financial crisis they decided to stick into the Federal work force. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 110

The bottom line is: Even the legislators agree that it's wrong - hence the bills before them ...debating on here whether it's right or wrong is pointless.  The fact that if you were hired after Dec 31st 1983, you are not affected proves they realized it was wrong 36 years ago! 

So, I don't understand the attacks on us for wanting what is already determined by legislators to be our rightful earnings. 

The issue is whether or not the legislators will fix it. Fixing it will tax an already taxed Social Security system (another issue that is not of our making). 

I hope and pray they see our struggle, and for many, it's a real struggle, one that ultimately could be literally life or death.  

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 110

Finally! Thank you @ Info Seeker. I came here in hope of finding resources and support, and instead, I was met with criticism. I agree that AARP doesn't seem to be the advocacy organization it claims to be, and given the tone of its forums, I can't help but wonder if there aren't some ...shall we say contributors with conflicting interests who are here to discourage people. I see this in other social media forums as well. Again. Thank you.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 110

Gail,

I originally came here to comment on the article, which I did.  When questioned or criticized by others who seemed to think I didn't understand my own situation, I picked a few bits of information from my personal experience to explain why I felt the way I did.  I didn't come here seeking financial advice, and although I appreciate the fact that you felt the need to offer it, I'm not about to place all my private financial information on a discussion board for strangers to dissect.  While I'm no accountant, I have enough formal education to recognize the inherent unfairness in my unique situation and base that on logical reasons. You can disagree if you want, but I'm not sharing more about my financials here. I would also appreciate it if we could all at least agree that everyone's situations may be unique rather than assuming from the beginning that if one of us disagrees with the WEP that we must be wrong.

I still disagree with it. I know you won't see it my way, and that's okay. We don't have to agree.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 110

In my personal case, I worked 7 years at state jobs, and 29 years of "substantial income", with Social Security, plus 5 or so years of less than substantial income, and 5 years of unemployment.

I cashed out the pension, many years ago, because I was unemployed. So, my state pension is $0.

However, because I only have 29 years of "substantial income", I am penalized $45 a month because I do not have 30 years of substantial income. Funny thing is, in my first year of full time employment, if I made an extra $1500, I would have had 30 years of "substantial income".

So, for the erest of my life, I lose $45 a month, because I did not earn $1500 extra in 1979.

This is where WEP is very unfair. I am not "double dipping", which is why Congress passed this monstrosity, in 1983, in teh first place. Unless, peopel think zero dollars have a new value besides nothing.

I never bothered to conetst it, because of the three hour wait time sjust to get hold of anyone at Social Security. Judging, from what I read here, Congress made teh WEP formula so complicated, as well as teh rules, you need to be a CPA to understand it.

Unlike some who posted here, I do not have any pension, and I am affected by the WEP.

Finally, I am afraid what Congress will come up with if they decide to make chnages; I may end up getting penalized even more. Unlike the people they serve, the ultra rich, $45/monthpays my condo insurance.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 110

You really don't understand how the WEP works.  No one is whining, we are simply addressing a gross injustice that needs rectifying.

Do/or did you receive your annual statement from SocSec detailing your eligible earnings and what your Social Security payment would be upon retirement?   I did.  After retiring from Federal service,  I saw on that annual statement  that having my own business was building value in SocSec.  My Federal retirement did not do so, as I am under the "old" CSRS system(which I might point out,  is thus not "double-dipping" into SocSec which was the basis for the WEP's inception).  

As sole proprietor of my own business,  I contribute into SocSec as BOTH the employer and the employee, and that's okay since it was building that value. I saw future payment amounts on that annual statement increase a bit every year as I continued to work.  Once I began receiving SocSec, and only because I am a Federal retiree, the calculated SocSec payment I have earned (YES, EARNED)  was reduced by WEP.  And keep in mind, our monthly SocSec statements do not show this as a deduction, the amount shown as earned on prior annual statements is simply diminished. For What?   Because I continue to work and contribute into the SocSec system?   My Congressional office was able to obtain my true calculated earned payment from the Soc Sec adminsitration.  The amount based strictly on my earnings history which I would be receiving without the WEP deduction.  (BTW- I have in almost 15 years earned more than double the total "substantial earnings" required for the  30 years relief of WEP.  Which also means I have paid more in employee and employer contributions than the 30 year requirement!)  What right does the government have to seize any amount of what I have, according to them, rightly earned?  

This is truly a seizing of assets with little recourse. 

If you aren't impacted, then at least be empathetic enough to support those that are.  The most seriously impacted are teachers and first-responders all across the Country.  We have to work together to get this bad legislation repealed!

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 110

@woodlandgrace 

I am not trying to single you out except when you make general comments.

I am trying to tell you why and how things work.

Your situation is basically the same as others because your same employer didn't begin the Social Security program until later on and thus is only giving you 20 years of service under the system rather the 30 - 35 years necessary to not have the WEP to affect you.

How many years in total did you work for them?

Did you work somewhere else before or after and was that employment covered under SS?

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 110

Hi there:  Another "WEP'er" responding.  If you retired in 2019, with "20 years or less" of substantial covered service, you would lose:  $463.00 per month.  

Visit: www.ssa.gov/planner/retire/wep-chart.html to see it.  Unbelievable, right?  Well, as you WEP AARP'ers are reading this, you should be boycotting AARP and "supporting" The Senior Citizens League b/c they are trying to help us.

Write to:  Richard Neal" who is the Chairman of the House Ways and Means Committee and tell him (BTW, he is in favor of repealing WEP or so he claims) you want a House vote on the repeal amendment -- to be at the House Ways and Means Committee this year.

Got that folks -- all of you reading -- you guys and gals -- "WEP'ers" like me.  Without your buzz to Congress, they just patronize us.  We need to keep fighting.  

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season

Top Authors