Make the best choices for your Medicare needs with AARP’s Medicare Made Easy. Try it today!

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Repealing the Social Security Windfall Elimination Provision And Pension Offset 2017 Legislation

Message 1 of 110

@starababa75 wrote:

Since my husband died in Sept., I have recd no SS benefits.  I am asked to repay $68,325.10.  I am 88 and visually impaired.  Something is wrong with the system here.  I may not live long enough to repay it if I continue to recv. zero benefits - 4 years, I estimate.  If I had died first, nothing would have happened.

Since we don't know the whole situation, it is hard to advise you on anything.

There is no way we can determine what the problem might be or whether or not it is right or wrong.  We have no idea of your late husband's work career, in or out of the SS system or yours either.   Nor do we know if SSA is right or wrong in their determination.

Detailed facts would be needed to determine the problem and I doubt if you want to share those here.

Here are some suggestions for help -

You could contact your Congressional Representive's office to see if they can help you since it sounds like it might be quite involved and involve a rather long time period. They have staff that can do research and help you - but you have to give them the details.

You could also contact an eldercare attorney that has some specialty with Social Security benefits problems - you do not need one that specializes in Disability Claims.  Again, details are important and this method might cost you some money.  You have to decide how important it is to fight this claim about paying back the amount.

If your husband did owe money back to SS - it may not have even come from SS - it could be that he owed Uncle Sam something else that isn't written off.  Like, if he had employees and he didn't pay their payroll taxes to the government. If that could be the case, any other assets might also be attached - Uncle Sam doesn't like not being paid especially on certain things. 

Again, have no idea of your situation or how it might have occurred.

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Repealing the Social Security Windfall Elimination Provision And Pension Offset 2017 Legislation

Message 2 of 110

@starababa75 wrote:

Since my husband died in Sept., I have recd no SS benefits.  I am asked to repay $68,325.10.  I am 88 and visually impaired.  Something is wrong with the system here.  I may not live long enough to repay it if I continue to recv. zero benefits - 4 years, I estimate.  If I had died first, nothing would have happened.

Why would you have to repay anything?  

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 110

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 110

@nm5358 wrote:

One only needs 30 years of "substantial income", to avoid WEP, not 35, if you have worked in a non-Social Security paying job.

Your idea is a good one, with one minor flaw, one would have to pay 12.4%, not 6.2%, because you would have to pay both the employer and employee part of Social Security contributions.

So, if you made $30,000 at a government job. You will need to pay Social Security $3720 (30000*.124).

The unfortunate thing about this, is that the person, applying for beenfits, are usually retired, have limited funds, and did not realize they would be affected by the WEP.

I wqs one year short, with 29 years, and if I had $4000 to spare, I would do as you suggest. It would take 89 months (7 years, 4 months) to recoup the $4000, based upon how much WEP decreased my beenfit (about $45 a month).

To be like everybody else -meaning, NOT special -

Social Security calculates your average indexed monthly earnings during the 35 years in which you earned the most.

SSA - Your Retirement Benefit: How It’s Figured

But, hey, under my suggested plan - you can pick whichever 35 years ya want - high or low - mark the ones ya want when you and your whatever goverment employer send in your payroll tax contributions.

No, I said that the whatever government employer you worked for should match your contribution - at least that is how it is done in the private world.  Private employees get it all with no problems - SS, Pension, if that is what their employers give (employee contributory or not ), perhaps even a match to their tax deferred retirement program, if they have that too.

Don't think that is possible to get them to pay their "fair share" of the matching 6.2%? 

Their participation in this corrective action, I feel, is imperative because THEY ARE ACTUALLY THE ONES THAT HAVE CAUSED THIS PROBLEM.  They should fix it with their matched contributions to what their previous employees need to pay as their contributions.  They also need to Stop NOT participating in the SS system - there are still many local and state governments that don't.

@nm5358said:

The unfortunate thing about this, is that the person, applying for beenfits, are usually retired, have limited funds, and did not realize they would be affected by the WEP.

Well, that is too bad - maybe they will just have to stick with the WEP / GPO modified benefit formula since they have no ability to jump into the SS system as it is for everybody to participated fully.

I think people who are involved in this mess don't really understand how all those contribution - employee/employer - work within the SS system.  Medicare contributions were always taken out - so why did they not notice that SS contributions were not being made? 

Want your full benefit - pay the piper - just like everybody else who paid into the system through the years. 

If we don't get something done about the financial problems of the current system - come about 2034, everybody will get a haircut = to about 21% - automatically.

Support H.R. 860 / S. 269 - The Social Security 2100 Act - this legislation according to the SSA Actuaries will fix the system for OVER the 75 year forecast period. 

• It helps everybody to a certain extend, help the low income earner more,
  • raises the cap in a fair way and provides some (abeit small) benefit for those high income earners that will be contributing a whole lot of $$$$$,
  • raises the income limit for tax on benefits,
  • changes the COLA formula to one more applicable for seniors
  • and more

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 110
Just like Congress to keep a problem, instead of fixing it. No indexing fro inflation is just a hidden tax increase. It is obvious by them presenting these bills. So, in about 5 - 10 years, again people will get a hidden tax. Meanwhile, they cut taxes on billionaires, and indexed their tax rates.

Taxing Social Security benefits was a bad idea when Congress enacted it, and it is bad now. To avoid taxation, you have to live on less than $25000 a year, which is just over twice the poverty limit fro a single person. Try living on just over $2000/month is most of the country; let alone $1000/month.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 110

@nm5358 wrote:

Let's hope the next bill they come up with, raises the maximum taxation threshold, on combined Social Security and Pension/IRA distributions, from the current threshold of $25,000/year (single). Above that, a person is subject to taxes on their Social Security benefits. Congress never indexed the threshold for inflation. If it were, the threshold would be closer to $50,000.

H.R. 860 Social Security 2100 Act originated in the House at the end of January 2019 - companion legislation is in the Senate S. 969.

H.R. 860 - Social Security 2100 Act

S. 269 - Social Security 2100 Act

Section 104 - raises the income limits on the taxation of benefits.

Section 104. Replace the current-law thresholds for federal income taxation of OASDI benefits with a single set of thresholds at $50,000 for single filers and $100,000 for joint filersfor taxation of up to 85 percent of OASDI benefits, effective for tax year 2020. These thresholds would be fixed and not indexed to price inflation or average wage increase. The amount of revenue from taxation of OASDI benefits that would be allocated to the HI Trust Fund will be at the same level as if the current-law computation (in the absence of this provision) were applied. The net amount of revenue from taxing OASDI benefits, after the allocation to HI, would be allocated to the combined Social Security Trust Fund.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 110

One only needs 30 years of "substantial income", to avoid WEP, not 35, if you have worked in a non-Social Security paying job.

Your idea is a good one, with one minor flaw, one would have to pay 12.4%, not 6.2%, because you would have to pay both the employer and employee part of Social Security contributions.

So, if you made $30,000 at a government job. You will need to pay Social Security $3720 (30000*.124).

I wqs one year short, with 29 years, and if I had $4000 to spare, I would do as you suggest. It would take 89 months (7 years, 4 months) to recoup the $4000, based upon how much WEP decreased my beenfit (about $45 a month).

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 110

Why wait on some potential legislation which repeals the WEP and the GPO to get passed ???- There have been many, many, many - got NO WHERE.  Even the ones that modified the current formula never got anywhere -

Why not just make a proposal to correct the whole system and you can be just like everybody else and have the same formula to get your full due SS benefit.

It is actually very simple -

• Go back and pay your SS payroll taxes on that government salary for whatever number of years you might need to add up to 35 years.
  • Then get (whatever) government employer to match them - just like the public sector pays..

A one time deal to make things right - You did not pay this into the system during those years and neither did your (whatever) government employers. 

I'm sure some entity has your recorded government salary for those years when you did not pay into the Social Security system but now want your benefits.  Or you might even have them available - your part is 6.2 % of your salary and your (whatever) government employer's part is also 6.2 %.

As an example -

Say you made $ 30,000 during one of those years -

• you would pay $ 1860 (6.2%) for that year
  • and your (whatever) government employer would match that same amount.

In fact, the SS system could even give you an option of picking the years of earnings for the number of years that you are short. (your choice - high or low - just has to meet the substantial earning amount in the year you earned it.).  Then it has to equal 35 years.  

Then after you and your whatever government employer make your payment to SSA - your benefit would be figured just like everybody else -

Problem solved - that is what I will be recommending to my Congressional Representative and perhaps Rep Rodney Davis (R - IL), author of this legislation and a whole bunch of others - he is a regular machine of legislation intros. 

Congressional Research Service Report / Analysis 02/07/2019 -Social Security:  The Windfall Eliminat...

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 110

Let's hope the next bill they come up with, raises the maximum taxation threshold, on combined Social Security and Pension/IRA distributions, from the current threshold of $25,000/year (single). Above that, a person is subject to taxes on their Social Security benefits. Congress never indexed the threshold for inflation. If it were, the threshold would be closer to $50,000. Just like WEP, being taxed twice on Social Security  (once when you arned it, and again when you receive benefits) is just as unfair.

In order to "save" Social Security, the politicians decided to put little traps, in the Social Security law, that are only discovered when someone decides to receive benefits. The other gem was riase th retirement age to 67, and their plan to use chained CPI to provdie lower cost of living increases.

Finally, back to WEP, if the House maanges the pass teh WEP repeal, they should attach it to the 2019 budget resolution just to get it through the Senate and Trump.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 110

There's a lot of information about WEP/GPO for those interested in getting more details on this site:

https://ssfairness.com/join-us/

Kudos
Views