Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Do earnings for credit to ss need to cone from a US source ?

Contributor

Do earnings for credit to ss need to cone from a US source ?

I worked at in the USA and have about 20 credits . If I pay self employment tax on earningings in Israel , will this count towards ss? What is the amount I need to get 4 points ? 

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@DavidN624174 wrote:

I worked at in the USA and have about 20 credits . If I pay self employment tax on earningings in Israel , will this count towards ss? What is the amount I need to get 4 points ? 

As far as SS earnings outside the country - if you are taxed on earnings, most likely you are covered either by the system in the other country or the U.S. SS system - depending on rules of eligiblity in either country.  If there is an International Agreement, one can covert to the other in some respects depending upon the (country specific) agreement.

Here is the Social Security page which explains it -

Social Security.gov - Benefit Planner - Retirement - Work Outside The United States 

Israel isn't listed as a country with an International Agreement according to the above SSA.gov site - so check with Social Security to see if or how you might be covered - was your employer Israeli or US based - that is one of the questions they will most likely want to know.  Get your info together and call them.

What you have to determine is where those taxes on earnings went while working in Israel.

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

Have you visited the Social Security web site and created an account? https://www.ssa.gov/   I take it you have a SS number since you worked here in the states at one time. Are you paying the taxes you are talking about to Social Security?

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

I`m assuming you are referring to points you  mean number of quarters you worked in USA. I been told that you need 40 quarters (10 years) to qualify for SS. Working in Israel,I doubt that you  are withholding SS tax and sending it back to the USA. However if you contact Social Security Administration ,they can give you a more precise answer. If you have a qualifying spouse this could effect what you might received even if you don`t qualify.

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Block Champ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP