Make Your Weekends Even Longer. Add an Extra Day With Easy and Affordable Ideas From AARP Travel. Let's Go

Valued Social Butterfly

Re: Are You Savvy About Social Security?

Message 51 of 53
drawpoker, I'd give you more than (1) kudo if I could.
Report Inappropriate Content
Valued Social Butterfly

Re: Are You Savvy About Social Security?

Message 52 of 53

Aren't you forgetting the many widows who are drawing spousal benefits on their husband's accounts?

For those beneficiaries,   the date of payment goes by HIS birthday,   not her's.  Or HER birthday,  as it is  Same thing for a widower drawing on late wife.     

Just F.Y.I.  so the millions who will be drawing benefits  not on their own soc sec. earnings record are not confused about which date will be used.    

Also,  did you know that for low-income beneficiaries whose Part B premiums are picked up by Medicaid,  that they automatically get bumped into the class who get checks on the 3rd of each month,   regardless of birthday?

Also,  besides anyone drawing SSI as you cited,  1) anyone drawing railroad retirement,  2)  or has moved outside the U.S.  or 3) has payments garnished 

All these classes also get checks on the 3rd of every month,  regardless of birthday

Seems like you are the one who is not too savvy here.       

Highlighted
Community Manager

Are You Savvy About Social Security?

Message 53 of 53

Is this statement True or False? "Your birth date affects when your monthly Social Security benefits are paid."

...the answer is True. If your birthday falls between the first and 10th of the month, you will be paid on the second Wednesday of the month. People with birthdays that fall between the 11th and 20th will get paid on the third Wednesday of the month, and those with birthdays between the 21st and 31st will get paid on the fourth Wednesday. This does not apply to Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefit payments.

Find out how savvy you are about Social Security by taking our quiz. Let us know how you did!