Protect your digital identity with AARP’s fraud resource center. Try it today!

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Are You Savvy About Social Security?

Message 11 of 59

To resond to the Inquiry if ones's DOB. affects when they receive their S.S. First, I am unfortuntely on SSDI-something I never counted on, or why would I have Earned a Maseters of Science? Though I miss field work (impossible 4 me due to current mechanic failures). I live soley on SSDI, which has DECREAED for the past two years. I have been reliant on this povery-level income for > a decade. My D.O.B, includes a date within the LAST week of the month I was born. I Have NEVER received my treasured SSDI, any later than the 3rd of each new month. There may be a host of 'Other' requirements, as I am single, and without assets (except cats). I do not own a home or car. I continue to work on a voluntary basis-to educate the masses about the Reality and Future that Global change holds for Humanity, and as we all are aware, the pending dissappearance of the largest, most well known mammals on Earth. Our Inteference with the global Ecology Humans are Inherently reliant on....will haunt the quaity of life in the future.

As Far as I've experienced, the question as to one's Birthday is Irrelevant. S.S. comes at the end of a prior month, or within the first 3 or so days of each new month. 

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 59
Good things for a Employer hard at work to make a income and have something in return thinks once again aarp. Im love it.org
Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 59

Have you visited the Social Security web site? He needs to set up an account too. If you can't find your answer on the web site then he should visit your local social security office and talk with them. Below is a link to the web site.

https://www.ssa.gov/

Posted by,
cat0w
Texas (USA)

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 59

Am not savvy about Social Security. I am disabled and have a disabled child over 22yrs old. We

both receive SS. My husband wants to retire at age 62 which is next year. Will he be retiring

on my retirement benfits (early) or 1/2 of my disability benefits? My retirement benefits (early) or

more than his early retirement benefits and so is 1/2 my disability benefits. Which one will he

be getting??

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 59
false
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 59

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 59

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 59
if I take my benefit at 62 and my husband takes his own at 62,
can I then wait to full retirement age 66.7..and then take his half because it would have grown even though he took his at 62?
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 59
true
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 59
mm84079767 wrote
Im disabled too at 51 and get $1895.00 third wed every month dont know for how long or at which real retirement age it will drop drastically im told.boo hoo i paid $800k to SS over my working career for 36 years and the year a letter from them said employers no longer will deduct SS from payroll i went on SSI 2, years, later automatically on Medicare and, $104.00 for part b is taken from my check every month and i havent used in the 4 years ive been disabled. if i waived part b due to age i would have paid thousands when i hit retirement age. System so screwed up.

mm84079767 wrote

Thank you for the info. if on SS disability until i reach 66 and im only 51. Then why was i forced to join medicare and have $104.00 taken from my check for part b? Retirements 15 years away but im forced leave workforce and wish i could still work at least parttime.

When you were working, you had FICA taxes withheld and these were matched by your employer unless you were self employed; the self employed (sole proprietor) pay both portions themselves.

These FICA taxes are divided into certain Trust Funds by an allocated %.
Social Security Old Age and SUrvivors Insurance 5.3% currently - from the employee and employer
Social Security Disability Insurance 0.9% currently - from employee and employer
Medicare ( PART A or Hospital Insurance) 1.45% currently from employee and employee

As you will notice, ONLY the Part A portion of Medicare or the Hospital insurance portion was covered by your payroll deductions while you were working.

When you became disabled, you were deemed to be unable to work for at least 12 months or longer or that your condition was terminal, if you were vested by your time working in the program, if so, then you are drawing your benefit from the SSDI program until you reach full retirement age, the you are switched to the Old Age Trust Fund.

After 2 years on the SSDI program, you are eligible for Medicare. Part A is paid for during your working years. Part B or the Doctor Insurance is paid for by premiums - most everybody pays currently the $ 104 but higher income people pay more; a lot more. Premiums cover 25% of the total program; the other 75% comes from our countries general fund.

If you had not been vested in Social Security because of a short working time, you would have been given a stipend, I think now it is about $700 a month from SSI - Supplemental Security Income which is a welfare benefit for those who are not vested into the SSDI program.

Hope this helps, I am low on battery so I cannot post more right now but ask any question and I will attemp to explain the programs in a nutshell.
* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Kudos
Views