Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Honored Social Butterfly

What Songs Would You Retire?

Should "American Pie" be put out to pasture? Has John Lennon's "Imagine" been imagined one too many times? What songs would you retire?

If I hear that song one more time!
I was at a restaurant recently when "Cats In The Cradle," a mid-'70s song by Harry Chapin, came on. It's the one about a dad too busy for his son, and ends with the son growing up to be too busy for his dad. Anyway, the thought hit me, "Do I really ever have to hear this song again?" It's a well-crafted tune, but please: can't we just retire it?!

And so a show is born. On this edition of All Songs Considered, "Hallelujah! The Songs We Should Retire."

http://www.npr.org/sections/allsongs/2017/10/10/556692186/hallelujah-the-songs-we-should-retire?utm_...

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Super Contributor

You Light Up My Life by Debbie Boone makes me want to hurl myself off a bridge.  Ditto Billy Don't Be a Hero, Tie a Yellow Ribbon, and The Night Chicago Died.  Also, anything by Air Supply or Journey will have me retching within nanoseconds.

Bronze Conversationalist

I liked Journey's "Wheel in the Sky." Other than that, I completely agree with all of InsertCleverNameHere's selections, and I'd add anything by Christopher Cross or Olivia Newton John. 

Super Contributor

There are two songs I could do without and they are "Michelle" by the Beatles and "Let's Stay Together" by Al Green.

Periodic Contributor

Gilbert O'Sullivan's "Alone Again Naturally" is a real downer. I change the station every time it is played.

Bronze Conversationalist

There are two songs that I think are just plain dumb:  One is "Where the boys are" by Connie Francis and the other is "Rubber Biscuits".  I'm sure there are more, but these two happen to be on a set of CDs with music of the 50s and 60s so they're mixed with several songs that I enjoy, which means I can't get rid of the annoying ones. 

Social Butterfly

Caravan by Thelonyis Monk.  Iโ€™ve had it in my mind for weeks and it wonโ€™t go away!

Periodic Contributor

All Carpenters music. 

Regular Contributor

They have some of the greatest music. Don't take that away from us, ever.

Contributor

As we are approaching the Holiday Season, the song that jumps to mind for interment is "Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer."

Regular Contributor

Yes!  Dump it!

Anything by Neil Diamond

Contributor

'When a man loves a woman' sung by Percy Sledge. I never liked that song, even when it was a hit

Periodic Contributor

No, itโ€™s so romantic! And sappy, I love it.

get rid of the cave man song, โ€œGotta have a womanโ€

0 Kudos
Contributor

Amazing Grace, especially on bagpipes, which aren't tuned for the higher passages. It's a good enough song, but wa-a-a-ay overplayed. 

Contributor

Margueritaville 

You Light Up My Life. 

Both are horrible songs I never want to hear again!

Regular Contributor

I love both of them.

Regular Contributor

I agree with You Light Up My Life, but Margaritaville? That's my theme song!

Contributor

Jingle Bell Rock

Regular Social Butterfly

I would say something. But, I've already forgot them.

Periodic Contributor

iRetire The ' Who Let The Dogs Out"  That was Dumb--Sorry!!

Contributor

Everything from the 50's 60's and all Rap

Kudos
Views
Regular Contributor

All rap - YES

50s and 60s - NO

Super Contributor

"Say Something; I'm Giving up on You."  The piano at the beginning of the song sounds out of tune to me.  Then there is so much repetition in the song that I always turn my radio off or change the station when that song comes on. 

Actually any song that has a lot of repetition irritates me as well as songs with lyrics I can't understand because they aren't pronounced clearly or because the backgound music is too loud for the lyrics. 

I also don't like songs with foul language, and they often seem to be blasting out from the vehicle in the lane next to me while waiting for the traffic light to change.

Conversationalist

I know a few of you mention Kiss, but I was never big on the boy bands.  They can take "Bye Bye Bye" for me.  Also, Justin Bieber?  Couldn't stand "Baby Baby".  I know there are worse songs out there but too many to mention!  Better to remember all the great songs ("You'll Never Walk Alone" was my gradutation song) for instance.

Periodic Contributor

I Will Always Love You by Whitney Houston.  This song is like fingernails on a blackboard to my ears.

Regular Contributor

This is one of those beautiful songs that should last forever.

Periodic Contributor

Ooh, agreed, particularly since she got all the publicity and Dolly Parton who wrote it was ignored !
Regular Contributor

I like Jingle Bell Rock. It's a snappy tune.
(Oops - showing my age I guess)
Periodic Contributor

By far, Andrew Gold's 'Lonely Boy'...I mean, C'mon, his life is ruined because his parents have a sister and now he's not the most important person in the family???? Give me a break!!!

Regular Contributor

Singing in the Rain

cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipedeยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP