Honored Social Butterfly

What Songs Would You Retire?

Should "American Pie" be put out to pasture? Has John Lennon's "Imagine" been imagined one too many times? What songs would you retire?

If I hear that song one more time!
I was at a restaurant recently when "Cats In The Cradle," a mid-'70s song by Harry Chapin, came on. It's the one about a dad too busy for his son, and ends with the son growing up to be too busy for his dad. Anyway, the thought hit me, "Do I really ever have to hear this song again?" It's a well-crafted tune, but please: can't we just retire it?!

And so a show is born. On this edition of All Songs Considered, "Hallelujah! The Songs We Should Retire."

http://www.npr.org/sections/allsongs/2017/10/10/556692186/hallelujah-the-songs-we-should-retire?utm_...

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
0 Kudos

Anything by Neil Diamond

Contributor

'When a man loves a woman' sung by Percy Sledge. I never liked that song, even when it was a hit

Periodic Contributor

No, it’s so romantic! And sappy, I love it.

get rid of the cave man song, “Gotta have a woman”

0 Kudos
Contributor

Amazing Grace, especially on bagpipes, which aren't tuned for the higher passages. It's a good enough song, but wa-a-a-ay overplayed. 

Contributor

Margueritaville 

You Light Up My Life. 

Both are horrible songs I never want to hear again!

Regular Contributor

I love both of them.

Regular Contributor

I agree with You Light Up My Life, but Margaritaville? That's my theme song!

Contributor

Jingle Bell Rock

Social Butterfly

I would say something. But, I've already forgot them.

Periodic Contributor

iRetire The ' Who Let The Dogs Out"  That was Dumb--Sorry!!

Contributor

Everything from the 50's 60's and all Rap

Kudos
Views
Regular Contributor

All rap - YES

50s and 60s - NO

Super Contributor

"Say Something; I'm Giving up on You."  The piano at the beginning of the song sounds out of tune to me.  Then there is so much repetition in the song that I always turn my radio off or change the station when that song comes on. 

Actually any song that has a lot of repetition irritates me as well as songs with lyrics I can't understand because they aren't pronounced clearly or because the backgound music is too loud for the lyrics. 

I also don't like songs with foul language, and they often seem to be blasting out from the vehicle in the lane next to me while waiting for the traffic light to change.

Conversationalist

I know a few of you mention Kiss, but I was never big on the boy bands.  They can take "Bye Bye Bye" for me.  Also, Justin Bieber?  Couldn't stand "Baby Baby".  I know there are worse songs out there but too many to mention!  Better to remember all the great songs ("You'll Never Walk Alone" was my gradutation song) for instance.

Periodic Contributor

I Will Always Love You by Whitney Houston.  This song is like fingernails on a blackboard to my ears.

Regular Contributor

This is one of those beautiful songs that should last forever.

Periodic Contributor

Ooh, agreed, particularly since she got all the publicity and Dolly Parton who wrote it was ignored !
Regular Contributor

I like Jingle Bell Rock. It's a snappy tune.
(Oops - showing my age I guess)
Periodic Contributor

By far, Andrew Gold's 'Lonely Boy'...I mean, C'mon, his life is ruined because his parents have a sister and now he's not the most important person in the family???? Give me a break!!!

Regular Contributor

Singing in the Rain

Contributor

I’ve got two:  Fever and Send in the Clowns.

Periodic Contributor

Henry the Eight by Herman's Hermits. Why anyone agreed to record that song in the first place is beyond me.

Regular Contributor

The song was written and performed as it was to display the Cockney accents.

Regular Contributor

The Lonely Goatherd

Contributor

The Devil went down to Georgia, I like my women just a little on the trashy side, and all songs by Kiss and the Beatles.

Regular Contributor

The Devil Went Down to Georgia is just one of those really great pieces of music. Always enjoy hearing this.

My mother named me Susan which I shortened to Sue as a teen. Then along comes Johnny Cash with his "Boy Named Sue" song. PLEASE... I could happily live the rest of my life without another reference to that song!

Contributor

I would love to retire ALL of the Beatles songs. They were so overrated as a music group and as individual artists also. 

Conversationalist

You don't know much about music if you say that about the Beatles!! You don't have to like their music, but at least have respect for their talent. All 4 of them!  While My Guitar Gently Weeps is one of the best songs ever written.... 

Periodic Contributor

We will have to agree to disagree. I do respect the Beatles, however they are not my cup of tea. Though I thought the White album was pretty good.

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

"I downloaded AARP Perks to assist in staying connected and never missing out on a discount!" -LeeshaD341679

AARP Perks

Test Your Knowledge, Score Big. New Game Each Day!

AARP's new Right Again! Trivia game - part trivia, part puzzle, all fun! Special opportunities for AARP Members and Rewards participants. Play Now.

AARP Right Again! Trivia

AARP Rewards

Sync your smartphone or favorite tracker with AARP Rewards to earn points for hitting steps, swimming and cycling milestones Sync Now.

AARP Rewards Badge

Music and Brain Health

From soft jazz to hard rock - discover music's mental, social and physical benefits. Learn more.

Music and Brain Health