Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Community Manager
Community Manager

Favorite Irish Songs?

With St. Patrick's Day coming - let's share our favorite Irish Songs!

Here's one to start - Listdoonvarna by Christy Moore is a new favorite of mine.

AARPTeri
Trusted Social Butterfly

Kitchy and Commercialized as they were accused of being, I have always liked Bridget Flynn by The Irish Rovers.

Periodic Contributor

Danny Boy 🍀🧡🍀

0 Kudos

My favorite is "Too-ra-loo-ra-loo-ra".  I sang it to my children and grandchildren each night before lights out.  Beautiful memories.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I have two

Red is the Rose - by The High Kings

&

The Sick Note - by The Dubliners

0 Kudos

A Mother's Love's a Blessing

0 Kudos
Contributor

Macushla! Although a late-comer to my memory, it is so melodic and emotional... my favorite style. Literally always sung by an Irish tenor, it's the "female response to 'Danny Boy'" (at least in MY mind!), although it was published in 1910, three years before 'Danny Boy.' Here it is, performed by Frank Patterson (5 October 1938 – 10 June 2000) with the Cafe Orchestra. I hope everyone enjoys it at least half as much as I do.  https://youtu.be/NRAagRHBSCc

Lyrics, including Irish Language: Courtesy of IrishSongs.com

https://www.irishsongs.com/lyrics.php?Action=view&Song_id=446

Authors: Josephine V. Rowe (lyrics) and Dermot MacMorrough (music)
Copyright: c. 1910, Boosey & Co., New York

Macushla! Macushla!
Your sweet voice is calling,
Calling me softly, Again and again,

Macushla! Macushla!
I hear it in vain.
Macushla, Macushla,
Your white arms are reaching,
I feel them enfolding,
Caressing me still.
Fling them out from the darkness,
My lost love, Macushla,
Let them find me and bind me
Again, if they will.

Macushla! Macushla!
Your red lips are saying
That death is a dream,
And love is for aye,
Then awaken, Macushla,
Awake from your dreaming,
My blue-eyed Macushla,
Awaken to stay.

The Irish language origins, mo chroí (my heart), mo chuisle (my pulse; as in 'a chuisle mo chroí', pulse of my heart - in English we can call someone a 'heart throb') Macushla; my darling, my sweetheart Words by Josephine V. Rowe Music by Dermot MacMorrough

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

When I need a bit of cheer, 'Don't Go For the One' by Gaelic Storm. You can find it on YouTube.

Teresa
Social Butterfly

We use to have an Irish neighbor who would constantly play Roll Me Over In The Clover. Fun song!

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Danny Boy has been my favorite since childhood.  As a pet lover, it's always sad to hear.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Songs by Andy Cooney

Maggie

Galway Shawl

Daughter of Mine

My Rose of Balinrobe

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

My name is Iris.  When I was a child, instead of singing When Irish eyes are smiling, we'd sing "When Iris's eyes are smiling.....".  It's still one of my favorite Irish songs.

Conversationalist

Of course Danny Boy will be the most favorite, but I also like When Irish Eyes are Smiling.  Easy to sing along to and such a happy song, the opposite of Danny Boy.  With words It's like a morn in spring, in the lilt of Irish laughter, you can hear the angels sing, how can you resist?

Contributor

That has to be "danny boy". My bro came home to visit. My Mom knew she was dying. She had a beautiful soprano voice and performed many times in her younger days. She changed the word to Danny to Donnie (her son) and sang it for him. I so remember that moment.

Contributor

I cannot hear Danny Boy without it bringing a tear to my eye. For over 45 years I listened to my husband perform it for audiences from 1 person (me) to tens of thousands. He passed away last November and I'd give anything to hear it one more time. My favorite part is the second verse. So beautiful!

Trusted Contributor

Heart  YES - me too !      Thought I was replying about DANNY BOY

And although written by American Shel Silverstein, I also love The Unicorn song recorded by The Irish Rovers

Peace, Love, Blessings, Health and Happiness

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Kiss Me I'm Irish by Gaelic Storm

Regular Contributor

Too-Ra-Loo-Ra-Loo-Ral (an Irish Lullaby), actually an Irish- American song

Conversationalist

Shure and begorra yes!

Four Green Fields

0 Kudos

When my wonderful Mother-in-law was in failing health we would go every weekend to relieve her care giver.. When she was still able to get around she sould hear our car pull up and as we were entering would always hear Danny Boy playing on her Bose. 

My husband was her Danny Boy - that will always be my favorite Irish song..

Honored Social Butterfly

Whiskey in the Jar -  Traditional Irish Folk, sung by almost every Irish band on the planet and some that aren't. My favorite version is by Thin Lizzy, followed by the Metallica cover of it.

“When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.” - Jimi Hendrix
0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroids® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP