Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Where do you want to live when you retire?

Periodic Contributor

Where do you want to live when you retire?

Colorful_garden_1.jpg

It is reported about 10,000 baby boomers retire daily.

Some of them want stay home where they are.

Some want to move to other place to enjoy their retirement.

Do you want retire and stay where you are?

Or do you want move to a community where you can make friends and share commen interests?

Carin
Contributor

Near my children in California, but to expensive & state doesn’t have as many “over 50 communities.” Any ideas?

Hilton Head Island, SC

Regular Contributor

Hope you've got a ton of money. Housing prices are astronomical. Don't forget hurricanes as well.
Contributor

Where??
Kudos
Views
Contributor

Asheville (Flat Rock) North Carolina
Contributor

Definitely North Arkansas.  The scenery is spectacular, fishing great, and most do not have money.  I would fit right in.  Arkansas is slow paced and the common people are generally courteous.  My parents moved from southeast Texas to southwest Arkansas when I wasl 11 years old, now at 62 I still liive in southern Arklansas.  The rich hillscape will capture even the plains people.  I may never make it to Northern Arkansas but if I ever move that's where you will find me.    S.Hilton, Prescott, AR

Contributor

SoCal. 

Contributor

We have family in Lexington, KY and are considering that area-something within two hours.

Contributor

Georgia, a warm climate been in northwest all my life and the winters are getting to be too much...

We will go to Arizona. Can't wait as we have been dreaming about it for over 20 years. The weather, architecture, culture, food, art ....... Just love everything about it.

Contributor

Love, love, love Arizona but want to escape mortgage payments.  Cost of housing in SC looks appealing and negligable snowfall (originally from Michigan!)

Regular Contributor

Greenville is getting more expensive, according to the Post and Courier, which did an article on housing costs. (Sunday, 5 November, 2017).

sarasota, florida
Contributor

I have lived in Boise Idaho for the last 30 years, and have decided that it is not a place to retire. I have found a place in Kingman arizona . The weather is good, and costs are low. 

I've been living in Cincinnati metro area for 8 years. Though much has changed positively over this time it is not a place I could ever call home. I'm hoping to retire in Dec 2018 and move back to New England to be near family. The hard part is expenses. Rent alone in most places is twice what it is here and energy costs are about 20-30% higher. My first thought is Western Massachusetts or Providence RI. Anyone know anything about either or currently live there?

Tennessee 

I plan to retire in June 2018 and am interested in the Olympic Pennisula in Washington state. I have visited Sequim and like the town.  I have friends there and in neighboring towns. What can you tell me about the area?

Contributor

I purchased land in the Olympic Peninsula along the Coast.  It's in a temperate rainforest,and is gorgeous, but haven't built yet.  Still trying to decide if rain is in my longterm forecast.  Sequim is in a dry and beautiful area. It may be a good choice. 

Contributor

We lived in Port Angeles,  Wa which is very close to Sequim, and it was anything but dry. That was back in the early 70's

Periodic Contributor

How long to you plan to live there?  Will this location be suitable when you are old and frail?  How accessible is it for your friends and for emergency services if and when you need them?

Contributor

alaska
Contributor

Tenn,around Maryville. I wonder how welcome gay's are as I have a cousin that is planning to move now. My spouse and I plan to once he retires in 6 yrs. Love the

Smokie Mt's!

@dreamhomenj wrote:

Colorful_garden_1.jpg

It is reported about 10,000 baby boomers retire daily.

Some of them want stay home where they are.

Some want to move to other place to enjoy their retirement.

Do you want retire and stay where you are?

Or do you want move to a community where you can make friends and share commen interests?

Contributor

Have been in Ohio for the past 7 years due to my husbands job.  Our plan is to move back to my home state of Wisconsin where family is. I lived in a small town for over 50 years and moving to a big city at that age was culture shock to say the least.  Retirement for us is 3 years away, but we are looking at real estate from time to time and are finding that comparitively, where we want to move is quite a bit higher than where my husband is from in New York state.  That's the price we have to pay if we want to be by the kids.  😞

Periodic Contributor

Good morning,

We have lived in Connecticut for the past 30+ years but CT tends to be expensive.  For the same reasons as you; being closer to family as well as trying to reduce expenses, we are planning on moving to New Hampshire -- no income tax on pension or SS, no Sales Tax, and southern NH is about an hour and 15 minutes from Boston (where two of our kids live).  Also, Boston is home to a major airport (we enjoy traveling when possible).  

I would love to hear feedback from people about New Hampshire.  

Thank you.

Periodic Contributor

We, lived in Exeter, NH many years ago and loved it. I know it's changed, because we visit when we come back east, but it's more artsy and creative, it seems. What used to be hardware stores, are now art galleries. 

There are beautiful hikes, from gentle walks through the woods with benches along the way to sit and rest, to some that are not for the faint of heart, and everything in between. Autumn is spectacular....second week in October. 

Keep in mind that all of NH is above the snow line. We've had out of town guests who had to stay an extra week because it ended up snowing every other day and they couldn't get out. 

Enjoy...and build a snow person for me, please!

Periodic Contributor

Agreed, NH is great on taxes but it get colder and snowier than CT. It's definitely something to consider as you age. For several years i got around with a cane but if it was raining then anything tile was like ice. Now I'm on a walker and unable to get up on my own from any fall so any place with substantial snowfall is out of bounds for me. One fall in the bathroom put me on this walker and destroyed my back.

Regular Contributor

I live in the rural area of Indianapolis, IN. I am originally from Tucson, AZ.  So my 'want to's' are Tucson, AZ, or Greece.

~Sharon~
Contributor

I want to live in Montgomery County, Maryland.  It is a very progressive, tolerant, open-minded area,very unlike the area I currently live.  It has an incredibly vibrant active retirement community called Leisure World.  It is also located very close to Washington, D.C., with many cultural, culinary, and entertainment options.  I am looking forward to moving here.

Contributor

I have often wondered why Indiana is not promoted as a good retirement state.   We live in Ft. Wayne, a beautiful medium-size city.  We have more going on here than we can possibly do, great golf courses, top-notch philharmonic orchestra and civic theater, a poster-picture ball park, lots of lakes within an hour.  It does sometimes turn cold in the winter, but much more reasonable to live here and visit warm weather for a month!

1) Kanab Utah.  Volunteer at Best Friends Animal Society

2) Santa Fe NM

3)Flagstaff **bleep** 

i live in Florida Now.  Though I love Ocala.  That is the Only nice place left in Florida.  Not hugely affordable for middle income families

not a good enough reason to stay

florida is a Dump.  Everywhere.

The People are Atrocious. Horrible.  Rude. Self Absorbed  

Then there are the Snowbirds. Who feel We Owe Them our lives. Because They vacation here 

the Education system one of the lowest in the country

public transportation is non existent   

There are limited nature places left that are intact

Work is limited to service or tourism

Been here 20 years. Counting the days.minutes  until I can get out

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP