AARP and the photographers of Magnum Photos look at older people living in new ways around the world in A New Age.

Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Where do you want to live when you retire?

Message 91 of 321

House is paid for. Looking to retire in about 7 months. Would like to work part time at an Apple store. Do not want to stay in Illinois, however, as taxes are killing me. Looking for place with international airport, excellent healthcare, education opportunities, arts, education, recreation, friendly town, walkable, that I can afford.  Can be overseas.  In the meantime, I'll stay put and work on that Apple job while I decompress from this one. 

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 92 of 321

My wife and I plan out of retiring to Florida's Palm Coast where we plan on volunteer our time with our religious organization there.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 93 of 321

With 4 years until my husbandf retires , we are planning now of where to live. Currently we live in NE PA which is a tax friendly state for retirees however we are looking for less hustle and bustle. I was considering NC but read it isn't tax friendly. So now we are considering southern VA. We ant 4 seasons but a more less snow than here. It is such a major decsion and there is so much to research. 

Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 94 of 321

I'd love to retire in Tennessee. We've vacationed in Tennessee and loved the Smokey Mountains, no state income tax and low costs for housing compared to Maryland. 

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 95 of 321

Thank you, this is great getting all this input. Being close to VA is important. I have a variety of interests so it all sounds great. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 96 of 321

Check out the Tri-Cities - Johnson City/Kingsport/Bristol, TN - close enough to VA to save (alot) on sales tax only 1-1/2 hours to Knoxville or Gatlinburg or Asheville or Roanoke; 6 hours to Charleston SC and the ocean/6 hours to Wash.DC.  Good medical/King University/ETSU/good community college.  Barter Theater/ Good festivals/NASCAR

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 97 of 321

I knew about sales tax but my retirement money was not as bad as where I'm at and other states. I have a 9% here on sales tax so use to it. Thanks about recommendation as I had been looking at oakridge area. I'll look at strawberry plains.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 98 of 321

Be aware that Tennessee taxes EVERYTHING, fromgroceries to clothing. It's a hefty one too.

I'd check into some of the smaller towns near Knoxville (Knoxville traffic is crazy!).  

Strawberry Plains is a nice suburb quite close.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 99 of 321

I thought it was going to be where I'm at now, Arizona but life events changed my mind so now I'm going to Tennessee in less than 2 years.  Looking at Knoxville are along the Smokies. Being retired military and soon to be retired federal government employee, Tennessee is tax friendly and just a beautiful State. I can be near water and mountains as well as trees and greenery.  Any advice?

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 100 of 321

We retired a couple of years ago. We sold our house in Winnetka, Il and purchased a smaller home near downtown Fort Lauderdale. We love being near the beach and a short distance to restaurants and shops. When it gets really hot in the summer we escape to Chicago to spend time with our adult children

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have a question about AARP membership or benefits? Ask it in the AARP Help Membership forum, Benefits & Discounts forum, or General forum.

multiple white question marks with center red question mark