Refresh your driving skills and you could save on your auto insurance! Sign up for the AARP Smart Driver course.

Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: What is a Meaningful Retirement and How do I know if I am having one?

Message 1 of 20

That seems to be the problem - finding that "Happy".  I am definately getting there.  Thanks.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 20

@dl73698250 wrote:

I think the big thing is being able to say that your working years were well spent with no regrets, freeing yourself up for that new chapter in your life without having to clean up a messed-up previous chapter. I think it's always better to do it right the first time. Retirement should be the time to really benefit from the fruits of your labor/lessons-learned/wisdom without having to answer to a boss/money-making-life. I think the real test of knowing, is being able to look yourself in the mirror and say, "I lived/am living a good life.", without regrets/redos. That's a freedom worth working for. Be true to yourself.

Thank you.  It can be really hard to look at yourself as valued just as you are without paycheck validation.  I am getting there!

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 20

@ay1113 wrote:

Kaye, don't be afraid to negotiate a volunteer job you really want to do. You have identified needs, and analyzed what you wanted out of a position all your professional life. You have amazing gifts. I encourage you to figure out what your favorite non profit needs, decide what you would like to do to address it, and then make a proposal to the management. You may be surprised at how much happier you will feel. Good luck and thank you for your post!

Thank you!  I am doing just that.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 20

@Sarank wrote:

Years ago, my husband began reading to 1st & 2nd grades in our neighborhood schools. I joined him. We have had exstudents, 19, 22, younger and older, come up to us and say "You don't remember me, but you read to me in the 1st grade and I started to love reading." Doing volunteer work has rewards not only in the present but in the future. 

How very special - clearly you and your husband are making a difference.  Thank you!

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 20

@2Papa wrote:

Travel, travel, travel!  Icelandthis month, New Zealand next month etc.  Make your own trip of the month club!

Great Idea!  Thanks!

Kudos
Views
Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 20

Travel, travel, travel!  Icelandthis month, New Zealand next month etc.  Make your own trip of the month club!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 20

Years ago, my husband began reading to 1st & 2nd grades in our neighborhood schools. I joined him. We have had exstudents, 19, 22, younger and older, come up to us and say "You don't remember me, but you read to me in the 1st grade and I started to love reading." Doing volunteer work has rewards not only in the present but in the future. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 20

YOU GOT SUCKED RIGHT IN DID'NT YOU. I AM GLAD YOU FOUND A WAY OUT. I T6HINK OF MYSELF FIRST,  THEN MY BEAUTIFUL FAMILY AND GRANDCHILDREN. INEED TO BE HAPPY TO MAKE OTHERS HAPPY. I ALSO HAD TO LEARN TO SAY NO NO NO  TO THE HYJACKERS.

LIVE IN PEACE.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 20

Kaye, don't be afraid to negotiate a volunteer job you really want to do. You have identified needs, and analyzed what you wanted out of a position all your professional life. You have amazing gifts. I encourage you to figure out what your favorite non profit needs, decide what you would like to do to address it, and then make a proposal to the management. You may be surprised at how much happier you will feel. Good luck and thank you for your post!

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 20

I think the big thing is being able to say that your working years were well spent with no regrets, freeing yourself up for that new chapter in your life without having to clean up a messed-up previous chapter. I think it's always better to do it right the first time. Retirement should be the time to really benefit from the fruits of your labor/lessons-learned/wisdom without having to answer to a boss/money-making-life. I think the real test of knowing, is being able to look yourself in the mirror and say, "I lived/am living a good life.", without regrets/redos. That's a freedom worth working for. Be true to yourself.

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have a question about AARP membership or benefits? Ask it in the AARP Help Membership forum, Benefits & Discounts forum, or General forum.

multiple white question marks with center red question mark