Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Anonymous
Not applicable

Any Retirement HOBBIES?

💥THIS DISCUSSION WAS POSTED ON April 16, 2021 12:15pm💥

Do you have any retirement hobbies to tell us about? Pictures welcome too 🙂

Me, several hobbies, but today's hobby update are my cuttings hopefully growing in water/lol. Had finally found a rack to sit them on. Rack is really a shoe rack from Big Lots, not bad for $12. Apart from getting the shelves into position, an easy set up. Being in my cute studio apartment until I Iocate a tiny cottage to rent in Salem, Virginia has been a challenge. But rack is small enough to fit into what I call my HAPPY CORNER 🙂 I purchased salt and pepper shakers from my favorite and addictive Dollar Tree. Perfect size for cuttings. Fingers, toes and eyes are crossed that they all root!20210416_115823.jpg

Anonymous
Not applicable

Anymore retirement hobby folks out there? Please stop by 😉

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

I thought I would retire and travel the world, but I discovered writing. Now, nonfiction writing owns me. I have written four books (two full sizes and two novella-size). Can find them through wanjiruwarama.com and a few other places.

Currently, I'm about to finish a rewrite of the first book of a 5-book series - based in Kenya during the British occupation. The book should publish in the fall. It's quite a marathon

P/S I'm surprised that there isn't a vibrant writers group here at AARP. Or perhaps we haven't discovered where they are.

Wanjiru Warama
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @WanjirusBits thank you for stopping by 😉 Are you also writing something at the moment or plan to? I will check out the link you sent. How EXCITING, 3 writers so far.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I have discovered a writing talent! In retirement aas a new hobby,  I have written 2 childrens' books and I self published them and you can find them on Amazon. These are  illustrated stories  books for 3-6 yr olds, inspired by the arrivals of our grandchildren. The proceeds all go to the National Make- a- Wish Foundation, which supports kids with possible terminal cancer and giving them a chance to get their wish. 

Sally and Friends and Sally the Swan and Sammy both by Bagga

Happy retirement to all

Bronze Conversationalist

@RaymondC34748 How exciting!! Congratulations on your books. As a writer myself, I think children's literature is much more difficult to produce that other genres, so I am in awe of your work. If only my daughter was still a nanny I would get them for her charges.

Will you be writing more? Do keep us updated!!

Contributor

Thank you for your kind words.

Indeed, a 3rd book is in progress and will form a trilogy.

Stay tuned!

Kudos
Views
Anonymous
Not applicable

Saturday - May 15, 2021

Yes please update us @RaymondC34748 🙂 🙂 🙂 @DeahWA please update us too. Any other writers out there??? We would luv to hear about your Writing Journey too.

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

Thanks for asking, @Anonymous 

In another thread this morning I mentioned a recent update I'd done on an ebook for ways to deal with situational anxiety titled Creating Sanity in Troubling Times. Originally written in 2012, the 2021 version expands the practices section, and adds content on dealing with the complex lingering emotions and difficulties of the Covid-19 pandemic.

Also published in 2021 is an experimental collection of flash fiction -- 31 micro stories, most of which are between 500 and 1500 words. The title to look for is Hot Flashes: A Month of Mini-Fiction.

Last year I published a contemporary romance in the erotica genre called First Time Again. I'm current working on a few more stories in this vein. These are published under a pen name.

Almost ready to publish is another experimental project called Whispered Tales: 5 Interviews with my Ancestors. This blends the historical stories of 5 of my actual many times great grandmothers with some fictionalized details to fill in some gaps, using the frame of a journalistic type of interview style. Currently polishing up based on some feedback, and will probably publish next month.

All these titles can be found on my offerings page at Smashwords.com or copy and paste this link --  https://Liminal.pub/authors -- in your browser.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@DeahWA luv it!!! Wow you are one busy lady. Can we message you if we need to about these books? Lol, I need the HOT FLASH one 😂🤣 I use to laugh about them when I saw it on TV. Told my daughter to be ready to have your own PERSONAL heater 🙄

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

Oh @Anonymous I'm afraid the title is a bit misleading. Hot Flashes refers to stories that are over and done with quickly, some of which are slightly spicy, but none at all about the menopausal phenomenon of the same name. It's a play on the writing of flash fiction -- stories that are under 1500 words, flash being the indication of a fast read.

But yes, of course, anyone who wants to know more can message me. Or take a look at each book's summary at https://liminal.pub/authors

Thanks for asking. 😉

Anonymous
Not applicable

Lol @DeahWA thanks for clarifying things 😂🤣

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yay, I was hoping you would see his post @DeahWA = both writers 😉

Anonymous
Not applicable

May 9, 2021

@RaymondC34748  thank you SO MUCH for stopping by to join our discussion🙂 🙂 🙂 Awesome about your writing!!! And yes, we do some things for the grandkids. Nothing like being a Grandparent. I will check out your books on Amazon.

0 Kudos
Conversationalist

I like the positive thinking that they will root and become viable plants by virtue of those plastic plant markers by two of 'em.

Anonymous
Not applicable

April 17, 2021

Lol and thanks @AvocadoDog 

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP