Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Honored Social Butterfly

WHAT'S SPECIAL ABOUT TODAY?

Today is March 24th and it is:

World Tuberculosis Day

World Tuberculosis Day is a worldwide event that aims to raise public awareness about tuberculosis and the efforts made to prevent and treat this disease. This event is held on March 24 each year and is promoted by organizations such as the World Health Organization (WHO).

March 24th marks the day in 1882 when Dr. Robert Koch detected the cause of tuberculosis--the TB bacillus. This was a first step towards diagnosing and curing tuberculosis. World Tuberculosis Day can be traced back to 1982, when the International Union Against Tuberculosis and Lung Disease launched World TB Day on March 24 that year, to coincide with the 100th anniversary of Dr. Koch’s discovery.

I plan on posting interesting tidbits about each day/date of the calendar.  I hope others will add to it as well.  It can be related to any subject as long as it happened on or is correlated in some way with that particular date.

Bronze Conversationalist

@Anonymous    Glad your extraction is over and your lips are back!  🤗

Yep.  I can relate to the hip thing!  That's why I usually just duct tape sweets to the outside of my thighs because they will just end up there anyway!!   Take care!!!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Lol @DaveMcK you are making me hungry!!! 😂🤣

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

@DaveMcK ...Can't beat the pralines made in a shop along the riverfront in Savannah, GA! So good! 😋

Honored Social Butterfly

NATIONAL CHOCOLATE ICECREAM DAY JUNE 7, 2021

Vanilla is considered the most popular flavor of ice cream, but ever since the Italians froze hot chocolate in 1692, chocolate has been a close contender. The celebratory day itself was likely started by an ice cream manufacturer to encourage greater sales of the delightful dessert, but the question remains whether there was really any need to encourage people to eat more chocolate ice cream.

chocolate-ice-cream-day.png

National-Chocolate-Ice-Cream-Day-980x552.jpg

National-Chocolate-Ice-Cream-Day-1024x577.jpg

Posted by Dave the Lighthouse Keeper
Anonymous
Not applicable

@DaveMcK wrote:

NATIONAL CHOCOLATE ICECREAM DAY JUNE 7, 2021

Vanilla is considered the most popular flavor of ice cream, but ever since the Italians froze hot chocolate in 1692, chocolate has been a close contender. The celebratory day itself was likely started by an ice cream manufacturer to encourage greater sales of the delightful dessert, but the question remains whether there was really any need to encourage people to eat more chocolate ice cream.

chocolate-ice-cream-day.png

National-Chocolate-Ice-Cream-Day-980x552.jpg

National-Chocolate-Ice-Cream-Day-1024x577.jpg

💥 Lol @DaveMcK my hips do not need anymore chocolate 🤣😂 💥

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

Ok?  Who was the wise guy (or woman) who just HAD to  include those photos of chocolate ice cream and syrup?   And Dave?  No worries about hips.  When it comes to any chocolate, candy, pie, cake, cookies, etc.  I just duct tape them to the outside of my thighs and pretend I already ate sweets.  They will end up their anyway!  Haha!!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Lol @RosemaryF433825 🤣😂

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

FB_IMG_1624200361582.jpg

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Good morning America... As I get ready to head out to pay my respects on this Memorial Day, I have one simple request for all Americans.. I simply ask that Americans live their lives in a way that preserves Freedom and Honors the sacrifice that my Fallen Brothers and Sisters have made to preserve it for you.. For if you let Freedom die, your children will forever live in bondage and the sacrifice our Fallen have made will have been for nothing...

May God bless you all and stay safe..

We seem to have ended up with some duplicate photos today.

FB_IMG_1622466122499.jpg

FB_IMG_1622466165680.jpg

FB_IMG_1622466195376.jpg

FB_IMG_1622466205057.jpg

T.c

FB_IMG_1622466224870.jpg

FB_IMG_1622466122499.jpg

FB_IMG_1622466165680.jpg

FB_IMG_1622466195376.jpg

FB_IMG_1622466205057.jpg

FB_IMG_1622466215262.jpg

FB_IMG_1622466224870.jpg

FB_IMG_1622466243094.jpg

FB_IMG_1622466254964.jpg

FB_IMG_1622466265699.jpg

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

WHY IS THE POPPY A SYMBOL OF MEMORIAL DAY?
In the war-torn battlefields of Europe, the common red field poppy (Papaver rhoeas) was one of the first plants to reappear. Its seeds scattered in the wind and sat dormant in the ground, only germinating when the ground was disturbed—as it was by the very brutal fighting of World War 1.

John McCrae, a Canadian soldier and physician, witnessed the war first hand and was inspired to write the now-famous poem “In Flanders Fields” in 1915. (See below for the poem.) He saw the poppies scattered throughout the battlefield surrounding his artillery position in Belgium.

The Poppy Lady

In November 1918, days before the official end of the war, an American professor named Moina Michael wrote her own poem, “We Shall Keep the Faith,” which was inspired by McCrae’s “In Flanders Fields.” In her poem (also shown below), she mentioned wearing the “poppy red” to honor the dead, and with that, the tradition of adorning one’s clothing with a single red poppy in remembrance of those killed in the Great War was born. Moina herself came to be known—and honored—as “The Poppy Lady.”

The Symbol Spreads Abroad

The wearing of the poppy was traditionally done on Memorial Day in the United States, but the symbolism has evolved to encompass all veterans living and deceased, so poppies may be worn on Veterans Day as well. Not long after the custom began, it was adopted by other Allied nations, including Canada, Australia, New Zealand, and the United Kingdom, where it is still popular today. In these countries, the poppy is worn on Remembrance Day (November 11).

Today, poppies are not only a symbol of loss of life, but also of recovery and new life, especially in support of the servicemen who survived the war but suffered from physical and psychological injuries long after it ended.

FB_IMG_1622312253962.jpg

FB_IMG_1622312263105.jpg

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Remembering our forthcoming Military Holidays!

FB_IMG_1622240785237.jpg

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

National Wine Day today May 25th 2021 brings to mind my favorite Wisconsin Winery which is the Wollersheim Winery & Distillery.

Wollersheim Winery is located on a scenic hillside across the Wisconsin River from Prairie du Sac, Wisconsin. Created in the 1840s, Wollersheim Winery has developed into a leader in the Midwestern wine industry, winning numerous awards throughout its storied history. I hope everyone has an enjoyable National Wine Day with a glass or two of your favorite wine.

download (3).jpeg

IMG_20190705_103400077 (1).jpg

2021-04-08.png

IMG_20190705_111848546_HDR.jpg

panoramio-95822938.jpg

1fe2fd35111420d5a54c157f0cb00dc5.jpg

2020-08-08.jpg

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Happy National Dog Rescue Day was yesterday! Love this pup SO **bleep** much !! Our daughter Janice with her husband Dean and their rescued puppy Kona. 

FB_IMG_1621605042864.jpg

Anonymous
Not applicable

@DaveMcK luv the picture! Hey Kona 👋

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

Ditto from me too, Dave!!!    Hey pup!!!!   🤗

Honored Social Butterfly

NATIONAL BUGS BUNNY DAY

National Bugs Bunny Day on April 30th commemorates the date the famous bunny first appeared in a short film in 1938. 

Known for his comical antics, Bugs Bunny created memorable roles in Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies cartoons produced by Warner Bros. The wascally wabbit caused many a raucous scene for his castmates Daffy Duck, Yosemite Sam, Porky Pig, Pepe Le Pew, and Marvin the Martian. However, his eminent counterpart was forever the estimable hunter, Elmer Fudd. 

His popular catchphrase, “What’s up, doc?” continues to be associated with the humorous bunny. He first appeared in 1938 in Porky’s Hare Hunt as a Happy Rabbit but later solidified his character as Bugs Bunny in the 1940 A Wild Hare

Over the years, various actors have voiced the animated bunny. However, Mel Blanc originally voiced the iconic “Eh, what’s up, doc?” voice and he did so for almost 50 years. 

Honored Social Butterfly

BIRD DAY

We honor our feathered friends on several holidays called Bird Day in the United States. The day celebrates birds of all kinds across North America.

With over 2,000 species of birds in North America, birdwatchers and nature lovers alike will appreciate the beauty and variety of these winged friends offer. From songbirds to waterfowl and domesticated birds, they come in every color of plumage and wingspan.

During the spring, migrating birds move to their summer nesting grounds. It’s an excellent time for those new to birdwatching to learn to identify birds by species. Enthusiasts also know that birds will migrate through backyards and stop for a rest, a bite to eat, and a drink if the right habitat is provided. They stand prepared by their windows with binoculars and watch as new visitors arrive daily. Whether it’s an oriole, a tree swallow, the ruby-throated hummingbird, or an American Finch, you’ll want to make sure you’ve prepared food, natural habitat and water sources for your guests.

However, it’s not just the passersby that get birdists excited. It’s the long term residents and those of the greater outdoors. Year after year they watch robins collect their nesting material or chickadees caring for their brood. They wander through nature preserves seeking a glimpse of a varied thrush or a prairie warbler. When they do, they are often graced with a privileged view of a bald eagle soaring above them.

Bird-day-4.jpg

FB_IMG_1617655359650.jpg

FB_IMG_1616510399270.jpg

FB_IMG_1616510363511.jpg

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

I am positively BLESSED...yes, BLESSED that over my land is a major, migratory bird path.  I have a multitude of different kinds of birds...sometimes up to 30 or even 40 cardinals on my feeders and the trees around them at one time.  Since there is a river very nearby, I am entertained by eagles, hawks, herons, vultures, and other large raptors.  It is a positive delight to watch my Summer layovers come in the Spring, and be replaced by my "snow birds" in the Winter.  From sunup to sundown, I am treated to all sorts of birdsongs that I can now identify, and the birds have come to trust me to the point of some I can hold in my hand.  My hummers will come inches from my face.

Birding is so cool and so exciting.  I'd recommend it to everyone!!   Thanks for letting me share part of my world with you!

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BUGS!!!

I never get tired of watching your cartoons!!!

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

NATIONAL AMARETTO DAY

On April 19th, National Amaretto Day recognizes a liqueur known around the world for its flavor and aroma. 

The word Amaretto in Italian means “a little bitter,” because it is made from bitter almonds or apricot kernels or both. Makers infuse it in pure alcohol or brandy, resulting in a strong almond flavor. This traditionally Italian liqueur carries a reputation for being fragrant.

Shrouded in Secrecy and Lore

Taking us back to the 1525 Renaissance in Saronno, Italy, painter Bernardino Luini selected a young innkeeper as his model for a fresco of the Madonna of the Miracles. In gratitude for being selected, the innkeeper gave the artist a gift of her own secret blend of almond and brandy. For centuries, the family held the recipe as a closely guarded secret. However, the Di Saronno family began producing its amaretto for a broader market in the 20th century. The liqueur began appearing for sale in advertisements in the United States in the late 1940s, and the family still bottles their recipe today.

Another Amaretto tale comes from the same area of Italy. However, this story tells of a young Lazzaroni couple blessed by the Cardinal of Milan in 1718. The couple honored his visit with a unique recipe of their own, producing an amaretto cookie like no other. And this one came also came in a bottle. Of course, they also closely guarded their recipe generations. In 1851, the Lazzaroni family began selling their amaretto liqueur, and the family is still producing it today.

HOW TO OBSERVE #NationalAmarettoDay

Amaretto can be enjoyed in several ways. Whether you bake or mix a drink, celebrate the day with the flavor of amaretto. The aroma alone is quite satisfying. The amaretto sour is likely the most familiar amaretto cocktail. However, amaretto also complements coffee and citrus beverages, too. Thanks to amaretto flavor syrups you can also enjoy delicious mocktails.

But you don’t have to stop there for an amaretto flavor. Baked amaretto also makes for delicious baked goods! Experiment with recipes or share your favorites. We even have a recipe for you to try.

Ready for a cocktail that’s part drink, part dessert, and 100 percent irresistible? Try Amaretto Coffee! When Alex and I first tried this boozy coffee drink, we expected it to taste good. But one sip and our eyes widened. Wowza, is this stuff good! It’s one of those flavor combinations that’s years beyond the sum of its parts. The amaretto brings a nuttiness and spice to the coffee that’s hard to quantify in words. Topped with frothy whipped cream and a sprinkle of cinnamon, it’s truly to die for.

Amaretto-Coffee-003.jpg

Bronze Conversationalist

Mmmmm.   Amaretto is my most FAVORITE LIQUOR!  So thanks for the info, and a toast to everyone!!

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

Wonderful excuse for one of my favorite treats - amaretto cherry ice cream! Thanks for posting this notice, and the interesting history.

Honored Social Butterfly

NATIONAL DEEP DISH PIZZA DAY

On April 5th, National Deep Dish Pizza Day gives pizza lovers a day to celebrate one of America’s favorite varieties of pizza. 

Whether it’s dine-in, delivered, take out or homemade, deep-dish pizza satisfies pizza lovers all across the country. Pick whatever toppings you like. This day focuses on the deep crust that holds an amazing amount of sauce and toppings. Like other styles of pizza, the deep-dish menu offers a variety of combinations to choose from. If you prefer an all meat pizza, the deep-dish makes it. Top it with vegetables galore. Or order extra mushrooms, the deep-dish can manage. 

GettyImages-80148422.jpg

national-deep-dish-pizza-day.jpg

Honored Social Butterfly

NATIONAL NOUGAT DAY    

National Nougat Day on March 26th celebrates a soft and chewy or sometimes hard and crunchy candy often found at the center of a candy bar. 

Made by whipping egg whites together and adding honey or sugar, roasted nuts, and sometimes candied fruit, some say nougat has been a sweet treat since ancient Rome. Enjoyed both as a candy all on its own or paired with chocolate or other flavorings.

Recipes range from the more traditional nougat made with almonds and honey to those with hints of citrus.

In Italy, they call it torrone. In Spain, a nougat is called turrón. The United States has a version made with corn syrup called divinity.

Three basic kinds of nougats include:

1.     White nougat – made with beaten egg whites and honey.
2.     Brown nougat – made without egg whites and has a firmer, often crunchy texture.
3.     Viennese or German nougat – chocolate and nut praline

In the United States, modern candy bar makers use a different recipe than the traditional nougat. Today they make of a mixture of sucrose and corn syrup aerated with a whipping agent such as egg white or hydrolyzed soy protein or gelatin. It is the preferred and often used ingredient of large candy companies because it is inexpensive to make and used as a filler.

Varieties of nougat are found in:
3 Musketeers, Mars, Snickers, Milky Way, Zero, Salted Nut Rolls, Reese’s Fast Break, Reese’s Whipps, Baby Ruth, and others.

HOW TO OBSERVE #NationalNougatDay

This holiday offers an opportunity to become a nougat aficionado. Or perhaps try learning the nuances of nougat. No matter how you spend the day, be sure to get a sample or two. Whether it’s a big bite or small, enjoy some nougats. Be sure to share a piece, too! Use #NationalNougatDay to post on social media.

NATIONAL NOUGAT DAY HISTORY

National Day Calendar continues researching the origin of this confectionary holiday.

nougat.jpg

527.jpg

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

So many "Nationals!"  What's a body to do????   😗

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

National Crabmeat Day is celebrated on March 9th of every year. Crabmeat is the meat found in a crab. Crabmeat is used in many cuisines across the world for its soft, delicate, sweet taste. Brown crab, blue crabs, blue swimming crabs, and red swimming crabs are the most commercially available crabmeat globally. For the U.S. market, the crab meat comes in different forms, depending on which part of the crab’s body which comes from and the overall size of the crab from where the meat is taken. Imitation crab meat is widely used in the United States of America as a replacement for 100% crab meat, due to the labour-intensive process of extracting fresh crab meat, and is popularly used in American sushi. Imitation crab is made with a fish called surimi. Crabmeat is widely used to cook crab cocktails, crab cakes, pasta, risotto, gazpacho or eggs benedict. National Crabmeat Day is for all crab meat fans to celebrate their favourite seafood.

united-kingdom-2066475_1920.jpg

National-Crabmeat-Day.jpg

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

On March 2nd every year, it’s time to celebrate cream pie – banana cream pie, to be precise. On this day, pie lovers in the United States raise a spoon to one of the most popular sweet treats in the country. And if you want to join in with your own banana cream pie, don’t worry – there’s no law that says you have to share!

Banana-Cream-Pie-8.jpg

Conversationalist

It is Groundhog Day and six more weeks of winter

Shari
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

148110330_10159450226421929_8498195566703847577_n.jpg

Bronze Conversationalist

@DaveMcK 

(Just realizing she totally missed the day, she very quietly leaves a small trophy with a grumpy man's face next to Dave's favorite chair and tiptoes away.)

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroids® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP