Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Morning Roll Call - July and August 2019 CLOSED

Honored Social Butterfly

Morning Roll Call - July and August 2019 CLOSED

CLOSED - PLEASE USE SEPTEMBER- OCTOBER 

Good morning to everyone on the Front Porch! Welcome to July 2019. We had a strong Sunday morning storm to ring out the month of June on the Front Porch! Welcome to July 2019. Going to be a busy day tomorrow if we do not have more rain. Remember that May - June are CLOSED now.

Nevertheless+I+Live_+June+Wrap+Up+&+July+Plans+by+A+Love+Worth+Living+For+Blog+&+Shop.jpeg61243547_643182779486681_2673156665431293952_n.jpg

Posted by Dave the Lighthouse Keeper
Trusted Social Butterfly

Hello, Everyone on the porch.

Too hot to have my coffee on the porch this AM and it will be too hot to have my wine out there this evening. Right now it is 88 and feels like 98. Our (what seems like a billionth) heat wave this summer has begun with no relief until maybe Wednesday.

Got out of my car at the grocery store this AM and my glasses immediately fogged up. Cat LOL

Lydia...I hope you are doing well after your surgery.

The only thing fall-like here are some brown crumpled leaves falling from the trees.

@MsStretch … a new back deck is my next project. I also have rotting boards. I want that stuff that looks like wood, but isn’t. Your Armani reminds me of my late cat, Licorice.

@LaDolceVita …kudzu…like a Stephen King invention. That and wisteria take over everything.

Need a cold drink right now! Take care, all. N.

Feels like a wet blanket outside!Feels like a wet blanket outside!

Honored Social Butterfly

@catwoman500, my landlord's husband says he is going to rebuild the deck with marine lumber, the kind they use to build docks and piers.  Will back drag some of the dirt away from house first to give it more breathing room and better drainage.  I know that lumber you speak of, that should last a looooong time.

Was your Licorice a pistol like Armani?  Armani is very vocal (which makes me wonder how feral he really was since cats only communicate by meowing with humans unless he just found his voice and doesn't want to shut up), but no one claimed him and he never went away.  Delilah is my rescue indoor cat.  Been with me about 12 years now.

Does anyone drink iced coffee?  Whatever is left over in my morning pot, I pour in a big pitcher that I keep in the 'frig.  Always handy for a ice cold drink.  I usually add a dab of a flavored creamer in my glass.  Just as good, if not better, than any of those expensive store-bought bottled coffee drinks.  In fact, a tall refreshing glass sounds good right about now.  Later!

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly

Hello again, All,

@MsStretch ...yeah, I need the no maintenance of the fake wood type material this time around.

Licorice was a talker for sure. He was more like a dog...would greet me at the door when I came home from work and had to have cuddle time right away.

I LOVE ICED COFFEE! When I was a kid, we had it at dinner in the summer. Guess that was when I first started to love coffee. Before I got my Keurig coffee machine, I would do exactly the same thing with the leftover coffee from the morning. Sometimes now if I don't get my second cup at home, I will make one and put it in the frig so I can have iced coffee later. Remember when they actually had it as a beverage on the menu in restaurants?

YUM!YUM!

Honored Social Butterfly

@catwoman500 

@MsStretch 

Iced coffee is still on local menus, for me it’s cold brew for high test at home.

I need caffeine - requirement of life.

6135E844-A478-46E0-8F09-5ACC3AE29C01.jpeg

71* presently humidity climbing, and storms rolling in for later with higher temps. 

Time to get moving.

Froze

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!
Honored Social Butterfly

@catwoman500, @Frozenoem , I do remember iced coffee on menus, but not around here.  I guess Virginians prefer iced tea and lately, more places offer sweetened iced tea which is a southern thing.  Never did acquire a taste for tea, hot or iced.

Coffee is a must.  Caffeine headaches are a bee-yatch.

Recognized Social Butterfly

I even put coffee in icecube trays. 

New Jersey has a heat wave up until this Wednesday.  I just hope people watch their pets and neighbors living alone. Be careful and safe everyone.

Trusted Social Butterfly

Good afternoon, Porch Peeps,

After a trip to the post office and florist I am back inside safe from the heat humidity and possible pop-up weird weather things.

@MsStretch, @Frozenoem ...

Oh, the diners and cheap restaurants we went to in my youth always used to have iced coffee on the menu. Lucky Froze! I’m sure you can order it here, but it would probably be hot and melt all the ice right away and then be diluted. Like the idea of @n566192l 's coffee ice cubes for that.

I really don’t care for hot tea, but I will drink it if we go to a “tea” somewhere and there is no alternative. I love iced tea and usually brew it outside in the sun (we used to call it “sun tea”) with fresh mint…which reminds me I need to do that right after this post.

Oh, that sweet tea in the South! I never noticed it before until we went to Tennessee for my stepson’s wedding back in 1988. At the hotel where we stayed, there was always a pitcher and full glasses of sweet tea on the restaurant tables. I told the waiter we didn’t order that and he looked at me like I had 3 heads and said, “That’s your sweet tea!” My what now?  Cat LOL Guess we Yankees just aren’t “with it.” Then I noticed everywhere we went there was sweet tea served automatically. I sure don’t remember that from traveling in the South when I was a kid. I prefer to add my own amount of sweetener to my tea thank you very much. The way it was served, it was like tea flavored Kool-Aid! Cat Tongue

Hang in and stay cool! N.

STAY COOL!STAY COOL!

@catwoman500   Haha, I tease some of my friends who are mostly careful about using sugar that it is proof they are real southerners as they always have "sweet tea".  Would not consider it any other way.  I started drinking ice tea in Texas, where it is unusual to sweeten it. 

Looks like fall will come in on the schedule I ordered!    Much cooler night temps coming by September 1.  Of course nothing changes like the weather forecast.

Greetings,

Well, SandyHook is a buzz today.  The 🐦 that have made their home there over the summer for nesting, have new mouths to feed. Can someone please share pictures. These 🐦 are on the endangered list. 

Also, 3 fisherman caught a 500 lbs shark, off SandyHook. 

Not sure if anyone else saw on the news about the Panthers in Florida. They seem to be having trouble walking.  I hope someone finds out what is going on with them.

Just got in New Jersey. Storms later. Everyone take care of yourself and enjoy your day.

Nancy

Honored Social Butterfly

@n566192l 

Your wish is my command, you want Plovers

FB28AF1F-D7C3-4B5F-AD96-E351273D6098.jpeg

PloversPlovers

https://whyy.org/articles/sandy-hook-cancels-summer-concert-series-after-discovery-of-piping-plover-...

We’ve had more than few in Maine on beaches, and they were closed to pedestrians, and dogs. To prevent disturbing nests.

I missed out on bad storms yesterday, no high winds mountains kept me safe. Admit the twister warnings in Manchester, NH kept me on my toes.

Today it’s 71* and sunny with possible downpours when temps spike to upper 80’s.

Saw the FL panthers piece re: there walking. Believe that a couple will need to be captured for study.

Unfortunately with T in WH, endangered species may face more extinction risk. I’d post link ordinarily but, not today.

This is my poke and prodding day, afternoon. Tonight with luck might find my Klamps and solder speaker connection, if I can voluntarily get down on knees.Not picking up speaker🤣.

I leave you with this last picture for the day, slightly staged.😇

Froze 

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!
Trusted Social Butterfly

Hello, All,

Pretty sure this is the 5th day of our latest heat wave. It seems endless and I’ve lost track. I think we should get some relief tomorrow, and they keep saying this weekend will be a “fall preview.” I sure hope so. I think I’m going to dust and vaccuum the porch soon so I’ll be able to maybe enjoy it this weekend. I’ve missed sitting outside.

Hope everyone is enjoying their day! N.

Can't wait to follow these rules!Can't wait to follow these rules!

Keep calm and purr on.jpg

Catwoman,

How in the world did you get a picture of me today?  To hot in New Jersey for me to work on the storage unit. I'm going to have to wait until it cools. I did find some more 🐈 items MsStretch just PM me your address.  Hitting the shower. Love all of the pictures!.

Honored Social Butterfly

Good Morning, Front Porch Peepers!

Hope all is well with everyone here.  I had surgery last week to remove what thankfully turned out to be a non-canerous growth from my back.  The surgery itself went well, but the mass was very deep and once removed, required three layers of stitches (inside to out).  A very good friend came out and stayed with me to do my wound care and dressing changes every day.  Couldn't have done it without her!  So I am well on the mend now and just wanted to peek my face onto to The Front Porch and wish everyone a good day and a blessed weekend!

P.S. -- Is anybody else getting the feeling that Fall is right around the corner.  Well, I'm getting the hint as some of the trees in my neck of the woods are already turning colors--from green to orange.  Just a few leaves, but enough to make me think Fall is a-comin'.

Lydia

Honored Social Butterfly

Good morning to everyone on the Front Porch this morning! Have a great day today. I have been out of town for a couple of days. 

69262821_2350254215089116_1341646310373064704_n (1).jpgFB_IMG_1557926978025.jpg68571121_1299191246908291_2273309718573219840_n.jpg

Honored Social Butterfly

@n566192l. @Frozenoem 

Lobsterman in Maine catches rare, 1 in 100 million cotton candy lobster

FALMOUTH, MAINE (WHDH) - A lobsterman caught a rare cotton candy lobster off the coast of Maine last week.

The Town Landing Market in Falmouth, Maine posted a picture of the rare lobster on their Facebook page.

John, the lobsterman who caught the lobster, works for the market.

The lobster has a blue, purple, and pink color to it, just like cotton candy.

According to the market, cotton candy lobsters are a rare 1 in 100 million catch.

67819770_1624550187680258_3732024064202506240_o.jpgcotton_candy_lobster.jpg

Honored Social Butterfly

Today will be hot and steamy in the 80’s, partly thanx to the storms that hit repeatedly last night.

When the day begins in the 70’s it’s a given.

Heads up to dog owners and people in the Southeast and coast to coast (just for a little more joy) keep them out of the Algae Bloom Or Cyanobacteria Lakes, etc. Let’s hear it for warming temperatures👎.

Clean Lake would be the following vs. Algae bloom.

There’s a reason up here we wipe down props and boats before contaminating another lake, pond.

Clean non-Algae bloomed lakeClean non-Algae bloomed lake

https://www.lifewithdogs.tv/2014/09/blue-green-algae-causing-hundreds-of-dog-deaths/

Personally, I only let my guys/gals swim in clean water, where you can see to the bottom or dang close. 

And as as soon as the grass dries need to finish mowing the front yard. For all my years of chainsaws, weed whackers, etc today I’ll be reduced to machetes and crosscut battery powered for trimming some errant maples in the yard. Done in by ethanol in my saws and need to play with new seals - my language became colorful when I noticed.🤬

After that it’s back to playing pin cushion for phlebotomists. If you meet a Lefty be sure to wish them a great day - it’s our day.

Froze

Frozen,

New Jersey has had a problem with this algae bloom. Several of our lakes have been closed to swimming this summer. However, some pet owners failed to heed the warnings dogs have passed away due to this. 

I need your help. What is Elegant Stinkhorn.? How do I safety get rid of this. Someone mentioned it was by my storage area on fort Monmouth.  Or do I just leave it be?  Thanks 😊

We are going to be getting some storms and high winds today. I have something funny to share. I was walking my friends 🐕, the dog started digging in this one spot..So I am thinking Mickey is making a great place to poop. Well, all of a sudden out of the ground come these flying locust. I wish I had a video of just my face when all this was happening. Just wanted to share. I had no idea locust lived underground, boy did they get the Wake up call that day.

Honored Social Butterfly

@n566192l 

Hand pick or boiling bleach water/water mixture, or table salt.

Wear gloves unless you enjoy their scent👎.

Identification, getting rid of them - if the link works.

https://www.wikihow.com/Kill-a-Stinkhorn-Fungus

Or do google search term - “getting rid of elegant stinkhorn”

Froze

Frozen,

When I Googled how to get rid of elegant stinkhorn, I wasn't sure if the options were good for the other wildlife. Many deer,  geese etc also call this area home. See a landscaper saw this stuff. I just wanted to look at the Whole picture here. That's why I reached out to you more informed people. People who care about the environment and living things. Honestly I had no clue what this even was. If it serves no purpose in the food chain, I will just pull it out.  Thanks my friend 😊 for giving me the links to  research. I have time today, rain delay, good day to read up on fungus I guess. 

Nancy

Trusted Social Butterfly

Hi, Everyone,

Woke up this AM (thank goodness, LOL) and had this thought that I never received my VISA bill for July! Looked in my checkbook and sure enough there was no check written for last month. Called the customer service and got a little help, but then asked the guy if it would be better if I actually went to a branch of that bank and just paid the bill. He said yes, so I exercised and got human looking (just so I don’t scare off small animals and children) and drove to the bank. So glad I was acceptable looking because as I was writing my check for the balance, the woman who was helping me asked if I taught grade school. Here, one of the tellers was a mother of one of my former students. She recognized me even though I didn’t know her from Adam. But, when she said her daughter’s name, instantly I pictured her daughter as a first grader and smiled. One of my favorite kids.

Anyway, problem taken care of…I even paid off this coming bill which should arrive any day. That done, I had a spurt when I got home and worked on my vacuum cleaner. It wasn’t sucking well so I pulled a bunch of stuff out the bottom, stuck a hanger down the intake pipe thingie and voila the vacuum is fine again. That being done, my super woman powers were raging so I got the step ladder (UGH! I’m so afraid to climb anything with my disintegrating body) and I changed 4 hi hat bulbs in my kitchen ceiling. There is still one out, but it is impossible to reach and has been out for at least a year. So…I have done enough to earn another cuppa Joe!

Be careful with the storms that some of us are expecting!

But first...COFFEE!But first...COFFEE!

Honored Social Butterfly

@catwoman500, a burst of energy is always a good thing. 

I take it you don't do online banking or Bill Pay?  I write one check a month and that is to my private landlord.  (I did ask if she did Apple Pay. Woman LOL)

Honored Social Butterfly

Morning all -awoke to 52* temps, presently 62* and sunny at least climate wise. Normal temps in Maine today.

Received less than pleasant news of my old Rabbi (not Religious title) has pneumonia and so, has been kicked off lung transplant list. Given weeks or short months to live.

In this case Rabbi is trusted friend who has good ideas and can figure out most things. Talked me through several life altering events. You hit a certain age (it gets earlier and earlier) and whammo.

@n566192l 

From your browser window if you wish to post pictures, scroll up on Android 

Waiting for Phil.Waiting for Phil.

Click on camera icon, above your post.

Click on Photo Library.

click on photo , checkmark should appear on photo.

Click done or enter title.

Click done and post.

A bar should appear along photo bottom as it uploaded ads, and is saved to aarp.

Continue post or hit done.

Fair warning, I may have missed a step, up until 3 am, digging through old pm’s For a friend.

Have a good day

Froze

@Frozenoem   Good info, I did not know about the algae.  A search shows algae in the lake closest to me but we never go there.   @catwoman500  You are frisky and I need a dose of that.  The 2 things I do not have enough of are time and energy.  Even if I did have more time I would not have energy  so I guess I have to rethink this.

We have suffered through the hottest days of the summer, 95 and 96 humid degrees yesterday and the day before.  The mornings and evenings are particularly bad, that is when I am outside and the air feels so still & stale. 

Trusted Social Butterfly

Hi, Porch Peeps,

The rain has stopped for now. It’s very humid, but the temps are low-ish…73 right now. Fence replacement was scheduled for today. When the pool people demolished the pool, they thankfully replaced the fence temporarily (pulled back together with “bubble gum and rubber bands.”)  Cat LOL until the fence company could do it for real. Unfortunately that has taken almost 4 months. So with the storms this morning I was thinking it wouldn’t happen, but they are out there now. There are only 2 guys, so it’s going to take a while. Not sure what is going to happen if it starts to rain again. They may have to stop in the middle of the job and I may have cars driving on my lawn! Yikes!

Another good thing about not having the pool to worry about is…I got my electric bill the other day, and they lowered my budget payment $20/month. Amazing how much electricity is being saved without the pool motor being on 12 hours a day!

Hope everyone is enjoying their day. Meanwhile I need more coffee! N.

Mmmmm!Mmmmm!

Honored Social Butterfly

@n566192l 

Well they’re non-poisonous, they just smell bad and are a tad slimy. 

Something other than flies might like them, and stinkhorn seem to like them👍.

The bleach/water mix might kill other creatures, same with Lime. Table salt or digging them out might work the best but, it’s a crapshoot.

I’d probably ignore them if it were me. And if you have other wildlife in the area.No telling what the deer might be browsing on , in the same patches as your present stinkhorns.

Really the only thing that offends my olfactory system is one swamp in the area NH with a large plot of skunk cabbage, those STINK, 1/2 acre anyone. As pleasant to smell as real skunks, just in greater concentration.

Froze

Honored Social Butterfly

Good morning to everyone on the Front Porch on  this Friday morning from Wisconsin! We have great weather out with temps in the upper 70's during the day and around 60* af night. 

Yesterday was a great day for golfing and I played quite well. Hoping everyone has a great weekend!

FB_IMG_1485452564824.jpg576234_517931228253211_1288680209_n.jpg67885850_10217313368579215_5866183293426204672_n.jpgFB_IMG_1541789936803.jpg

Trusted Social Butterfly

Hi, Everyone,

Oh, what a beautiful morning! It was 64 earlier with no sign of humidity, going to around 85 later. Went to sleep with bedroom windows wide open and a sheet and light blanket. Woke in the middle of the night to pull up the comforter! WOW! How refreshing!

The sun is shining brightly and the goldfinches are munching on the coneflower seeds. Wish I could snap a photo, but they are too fast for me and fly as soon as the door opens.

Tonight is dinner and game night for me so I’m looking forward to that. Hope everyone can enjoy a good weekend, N.

One of our favoritesOne of our favorites

Honored Social Butterfly

Good afternoon to everyone on the Front Porch on this first Wednesday of August 2019. The tornado sirens went off for our monthly alert at noon today. We are looking at temperatures in the lower 70's over the next few days. The outlook for golf tomorrow morning is good. 

Hoping everyone is able to adjust to the epidemic we are facing in this country! We seem to be so far from any partisan agreement. Sorry, enough for this topic here on the Porch today. 

good-night-card-for-friends-5.jpgFB_IMG_1548878744862.jpgFB_IMG_1486670620530.jpg

Dave,

I think I saw on the news tonight, It was National Lighthouse day. I hope you are doing well. Nancy

@Frozenoem @DaveMcK  Would gladly trade your weather for ours.  Looks like we go to the 90s again next week.  We had 5 or 6 days of them in July.  Still not bad because some years we had 90 almost every day for 2 months.  Sooo only 23 days till some relief may be headed our way. 

@Frozenoem  Wishing you poking & prodding that does not hurt and at long last comes up with something.   

On the caregiving front, I called a mobile hairdresser for mom's hair.  She said $100 per hour and I would need to book her for 3 hours.  Now really, that is usery.  Will keep looking.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP