Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

MORNING ROLL CALL!! NOVEMBER-DECEMBER 2018 CLOSED

Honored Social Butterfly

MORNING ROLL CALL!! NOVEMBER-DECEMBER 2018 CLOSED

Due to timing issues I am making the change to NOVEMBER-DECEMBER early!

341019-Witch-Turkey-Goodbye-October-Welcome-November-Quote.jpg

Posted by Dave the Lighthouse Keeper
Honored Social Butterfly

Good morning everyone on the Front Porch! We got 2" of snow overnight.

Found this post about Wisconsin Fish Fry's.

Link: https://www.channel3000.com/madison-magazine/city-life/9-fabulous-fish-fries-in-the-madison-area/161...

Honored Social Butterfly

Good evening to everyone out there on the Front Porch! It has been a very busy few days here with Mary having an early morning MRI on her head to be sure that her clipped brain aneurysms are stable. The preliminary report was that they are doing great and there are no new ones. Thursday we went in for the complete report and view the pictures from the MRI with her doctor. 

Today was another early morning with Mary going to a scrapbook club meeting about 75 miles from here. I drove her about half way to meet up with one of her girl friends so they went to the weekend meeting. I will pick her up Sunday afternoon. On the way home I checked out a couple of antique store with little luck. I did find a turkey napkin holder as a gift for our daughter and her husband who are hosting Thanksgiving dinner.

With Mary gone I treated myself to a traditional Wisconsin Fish fry and a couple of Wisconsin beer. 

Fish Fry Fridays, 1997-2010

EnlargeFive people are posing outside Timmer's Restaurant before going in for a fish-fry dinner. Timmer's — Exterior, 1998

Cedar Lake, Wisconsin. Widmer crew outside Timmer's on Big Cedar Lake in Washington County. View the original source document: WHI 80621

In Wisconsin, Friday fish fry dinners are a ubiquitous tradition. Aficionados are always looking for new venues. Why are Wisconsin fish fry events emblematic? Early German Catholic settlers in Wisconsin made use of the region's abundant supply of fish because they were prohibited from eating meat on Fridays. Over the decades, local cooks across the state experimented with making a simple menu uniquely their own.

Today a typical fish fry menu consists of beer-battered fried perch, bluegill, walleye or catfish, or cod brought in from the East Coast. The fish is served with tartar sauce, French fries or German-style potato pancakes, coleslaw, and rye bread.

Jim and Shirley Widmer once traveled 235 miles to go to a fish fry. Their journeys have led them to diners, bars, country clubs, veterans’ organizations and churches all over Wisconsin. During the course of their 13-year adventure, the Widmers experienced more than 450 unique fish fry events in Wisconsin.

Tomorrow I will be waking up to our second snowfall this week.

Hoping everyone on the Front Porch has a great weekend!

45370076-fish-and-chips-fish-wrapped-in-beer-batter-herbs-dip-and-czech-beer.jpgFried_Fish_and_French_Fries.jpg

1430.jpg

I remember going to Friday Fish Fries with my Grandparents in the early 1950's.  They were mostly fresh lake perch. No Icelandic cod like they try to pass off as a Wisconsin Fiday fish fry. 

Recognized Social Butterfly

@DaveMcK  Looks great!   I love fried fish.  If I visited too many of those fish fies I would have to get a new wardrobe though.

We had a taste of winter for a couple of days, have now returned to Camelot weather, about 60 during the day.  The leaves are still pretty.

@catwoman500Still catching up on Poldark.  Also saw the 1st episode Reggie Perrin  and with Martin Clunes and it was hilarious.  Not sure if it ever made it to PBS.

Kudos
Views
Honored Social Butterfly

@catwoman500

Walmart pharmacy section - tip for canes, steel spike on order for $5 bucks.

The way I’m staggering at the moment decided to get new spike.

Figure the old spike was past prime, it fell off. Supposedly also available on-line. Not one size fits all, measure the bottom or take to pharmacy.

My old antler cane had dual-functions, both ends were pointy.

Great for rapid transit in Boston.

Subtle suggestion to MOVE, NOW!

Froze

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!
Trusted Social Butterfly

@Frozenoem...Thanks! I will checkout the cane tips! N.

Honored Social Butterfly

Good Morning, Front Porchers!

It's snowing this morning.  Big fluffy flakes en masse racing down from the sky to the ground; making a snow white blanket on everything. The furnace is on steadily doing it's best to keep me warm and comfortable.  And as I watch the snow show outside of my kitchem window,  I sip my coffee following a hardy breakfast of hot oatmeal w/raisins and sausage.  Um, yum!  The coffee is hot and creamy.  Tastes so  good going down.  But I have a good book to continue reading.  So before long, I will be sliding back into my bed and hopefully I will be able to turn through a few pages before  inevitable sleep overtakes me.  

Have a great day no matter what's on the news. And let us pray for our fellow Americans who are in need or in distress.  God Bless You All!

Lydia

Honored Social Butterfly

No snow here in middle Georgia but winter has come for the first visit of the season.  We awoke to sunny skies, but temperatures ranging around the freezing point.  It's 33 here this morning and there's a strong breeze that's finding every crack in the 100-year old house.   My little dog is curled up in my lap keeping us both warm.  I like that much better this time of the year than I did when she wanted to be in my lap in the summer heat.  

Trusted Social Butterfly

Hi, Everyone...

Yes, mother nature smacked us in the face with an early storm yesterday. Only about 4 inches of snow here, but rain, sleet, and ice was enough to not have mail delivered, schools let out early, and even a 2 hour delay for schools opening this morning. It was a real mess yesterday. You'd think we lived in the south the way people acted though. This is Pennsylvania, folks...snow happens. I guess a lot of people just weren't ready for it this early. A few years ago we had a darn blizzard before Halloween, so it's not impossible!

This morning since I had errands to run, I put on my ice grippers, got out there and shoveled one path to the street, cleaned off the car, and very carefully drove over the plow pile at the end of the driveway. It was smooth sailing for errands except for one tricky spot near the post office. I wonder if they have such a thing as a spike tip I can put on my cane. Cat LOL

Stay warm and safe! N.

Honored Social Butterfly

Went to sleep to roaring fire and outside temp of 20*, with snow falling and awoke to 33* and 9” of freshly fallen.

Presently raining slightly , think dizzy or not , need to get moving.

Start the snowblower, break out the shovels and clear out the driveway.

Least if I fall it will be soft, powder, and not ice or dirt.

Winter is coming, although some color is still in the trees.

Chell sends her regards.

Ms Chelli discovers wood heatMs Chelli discovers wood heat

Enjoy

Froze

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!
Honored Social Butterfly

GOOD  MORNING! I'm NOT frowning.  I'm smiling upside down!

Honored Social Butterfly

It is official!   Winter is upon us.  The snow is on the roofs and there's a dusting of it on what is still green grass underneath.   And it is c-o-l-d.  31 degrees!  Shiver!  Bundling  up  and heading out to do my morning runs.  And then back in for my afternoon nap.  Hope everyone on Our Front Porch is doing well today.   Be blessed and Godspeed.

Honored Social Butterfly

Good morning,  Front Porchers!

And Happy Veterans Day!

The sun is up and smiling and so am I!

Trusted Social Butterfly

Brrrr! This morning it was 28 in the Philly Burbs. Glad I had located my gloves last night as I had to go grocery shopping. Used the remote start on the car so I wouldn't have to scrape the windshields. Now it's up to 44. The sun was up early and is still going strong here.

This week looks to be alternating days of rain and sun.

Playing our arch enemy, Dallas, tonight on NBC...

FLY, EAGLES, FLY! Beat the Cowboys!

Honored Social Butterfly

Morning,  Everyone!

It's been a long week for me and I am so glad it's now the weekend!  Two days to rest, relax, sleep, and replenish the storehouse (i.e. my body) before heading back into the daily swirl of the workplace.

Yesterday, I whined about the all too soon snow and the cold, cold temperatures.  And I even layered up with all of the necessary winter gear.  So by all forecasts, I was ready to go and face winter at it's most brutual.  But then something happened. Things changed. Maybe God heard my complaint because the temperature rose a bit and the snow was soon gone--melted away.  That all happened within the day.

This morning when I opened my eyes and looked towards the window, I could see the sun brightly peeking between the slats of the window blinds and I was encouraged that maybe, just maybe winter was being held at bay.  So as I arose and opened the blinds, I could see beautiful sunlight and blue skies peppered with clouds and the birds wildly feeding at my feeders.  Oh, what a "wonderful" start of the day!

At that, I began to venture down the hall and out to the kitchen.   But by the time I reached the cord on the kitchen window blind and pulled,  the bright sun had been swallowed up in a murky sea of clouds and the blue skies were now gone.  Winter fooled me...again.

But not to be daunted, there's always coffee!

Honored Social Butterfly

43* and cloudy. Mere dusting 3-8” of white stuff coming, I live on the line of 3-6 and 6-8”.

The wood is in mostly, the rest is covered.Have enough in for a week of constant burning.

Tonight brings what it brings. Chell is a work in progress but, I knew that.

My coffee roaster brought me a new darker richer surprise, I did his network and he knows what I like.

He’s still trying to break me of my nasty DD habit (his words), and into the good stuff. Rather have French Vanilla than Civet droppings.🤣

Need a stagger, trying to keep moving.

Froze

@Frozenoem  I was waiting for an update from you.   You did a lot of work getting that wood or you have very good friends.   Medication for the staggering? 

@catwoman500  I have watched all of season 3 of the Durrells.  Last episode a bit silly and seems to be made of fairy dust except for a few minutes of harsh reality.  And that is all I will say until you have seen it.

Trusted Social Butterfly

@LaDolceVita...ACKKK! That Durrells' birthday party was cringe-worthy! Cat Tongue N.

Honored Social Butterfly

Good morning to everyone on the Front Porch! We had about an inch of snow over night. It has melted off the patio, driveway and the roads so I'm ok with it. Hoping everyone has a great weekend! Sunday is Veterans Day so take a Vet out to eat either Sunday or Monday for a free meal. There are a lot of places in your area that offer free meals either of these two days. To all of my fellow Veterans thank you for your service and welcome home Brother's and Sisters. 

FB_IMG_1541777863967.jpgFB_IMG_1541777817867.jpg1278px-World_War_I_veteran_Joseph_Ambrose,_86,_at_the_dedication_day_parade_for_the_Vietnam_Veterans_Memorial_in_1982.jpgFB_IMG_1534553299793.jpg

Trusted Social Butterfly

I'm shivering as a few of you mention snow. That is a four letter word for sure. 44 and raining here. It's supposed to rain all day but be fine for the rest of the weekend, although not getting out of the 40's. Brrr!

Will be stuggling to bring a large bag of birthday gifts into the restaurant for a luncheon today as I can't hold an umbrella, tote a bag of gifts, and have my cane in the other hand. So a hooded jacket has to do. I may looked like a drowned rat, but I'll be there. Cat LOL

Thanks to all veterans for their service! Heart N.

Honored Social Butterfly

Well, I have to report that the snow has finally arrived here.  Way too early in my mind of course.  But it's here and I'm still here, so all's good.   Snowing and 34 degrees.  Bringing out my big guns--heavy winter coat, warmest wool hat, and my thermal gloves.

Viva la winter!

Honored Social Butterfly

Good morning, Front Porchers!

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!   It's cold here today.  BUT at least it's dry.  No rain in the last two days. So I'm happy with what we have today--cold, cloudy, and dry.  Now, "tomorrow" is a different matter.  The weatherman predicts ......

Woe is me!  It has come to this.

Anyway,  to everybody out there,  wishing  you well--happiness, good health, and strength.  Be safe.

First cold front of the season coming in tonight.  Freeze warning for the mountains.  Yikes!  Will I still be able to call this Camelot in the morning?  We will see, I dont mind a bit of cold.  Very wet and muddy right now.

Honored Social Butterfly

46* and raining, time for a stagger  to polling place.

Here’s hoping all get their wishes  for the good of country, depending🤣.

Stagger today partly vertigo, and partly Chelli ripping apart  my last bag of French Vanilla.

Pure sacrilege on her part, had to Hoover the contents of 2 pound bag.

Froze

Kudos
Views

I did the early voting thing last week.  Lines are just too long around here on election day.  @Frozenoem  Hoping for good news for you from your doctor or at least a resolution.  If you are falling down winter is a very scary prospect. And Chelli is a handful it sounds like. My grandmother had vertigo for over 40 years plus ringing in the ears and she had to be careful during flare ups but she did not fall. 

Honored Social Butterfly

Good  morning, Front Porchers! 

The BIG Day has finally arrived!!!!

I am up and getting ready to vote!  Yippee!  I am so excited!  I  truly feel like I'm doing MY part in the running of this country.   And after I cast my vote, I've got to drive some 25 miles to chauffeur a wheelchair bound friend to the polls in her district.  Looking forward to that part too!

Be well and be blessed Everybody!

Honored Social Butterfly

36* cloudy with rain forecast once it warms.

@LaDolceVita

Cleared for driving by one Dr, not allowed by the other. Hate to say agree with naysayer.

Hate to say it, the idea of sleeping all day appeals to me about now.

Gets a tad annoying breaking ribs repeatedly, and Zyphoid.Last break was 4 weeks ago, and still fork tender.

But, still need to clean, rugs calling.

Froze

Honored Social Butterfly

Tomorrow November 6th is Election Day! Get out and vote!

Honored Social Butterfly

While this is not my reality today (it's 49 degrees and damp from nightly rains),  I can dream of days gone by and hope for days  to come. 

Sending up prayers for those out there on Our Front Porch who may be going through tough times right now.  Thinking of you all and wishing you and yours well. 

Be blessed!   Godspeed.

Lydia

Honored Social Butterfly

40* and sunshine.

@LaDolceVita

See me after Tuesday Nov. 6 for funk it’s midterms and also Dr. appt.

3 months of vertigo, another round of tests, 3 different canes, and sharpening my winter cane - for walking straight line vs staggering like lit.

Kopi Luwak coffee isn’t even helping to blast funk away, and that’s high test. Like a nice Turkish or Cuban coffee.

Froze

0 Kudos

@Frozenoem  You do sound very down and vertigo  does not allow you to do much I am thinking.  You are OK to drive?   Perhaps due to ear problems?  

While we are on a down note, my mom is not doing well.  She sleeps most of the time now.  She is no longer her imperious self.  I am having trouble emotionally. 

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP