Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

MORNING ROLL CALL! MAY - JUNE CLOSED

Honored Social Butterfly

MORNING ROLL CALL! MAY - JUNE CLOSED

Good morning to everyone on the Front Porch! Welcome to May 2019. We had an overnight shower to ring in the morning on the Front Porch! Welcome to May 2019. Going to be a busy day tomorrow if we do not have more rain. Remember that March - April is CLOSED now.

httpsi.pinimg.comoriginals2945d62945d60f334132db56d883665bcdd306.jpg

Posted by Dave the Lighthouse Keeper
Honored Social Butterfly

Remember that May - June are CLOSED now.

Kudos
Views
Honored Social Butterfly

Good morning to everyone here on the Front Porch this stormy Sunday noon hour. Another storm will be moving in around 5 this afternoon. Some area's will have wind damage with tree damage and power outages. I got the front lawn mowed andthe back is waiting to be harvested. 

Not sure if I will be golf tomorrow. Have a restful evening everyone!

302611-Merry-Monday.jpg65237337_172928040406092_3415563177251831808_n (1).jpgFB_IMG_1550877784284.jpg

Honored Social Butterfly

Morning 76* and humid (yeesh!), time to re-arrange parts and pieces and toss the A/C in the Windows. 

Need caffeine, slightly groggy from milk of the gods - Ouzo.

Think I may be aging. Births, weddings, funerals one beverage choice in toasts to memory.

Froze

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!
Honored Social Butterfly

Good morning to everybody on the Front Porch on this last Friday of June,  2019. Rain, rain go away. We had a wild drive in rain and wind coming back from two days in Milwaukee with friends going to 2 Brewers games. They won 1 game and lost won 1. One of the highlights of the first game was an in the park homerun. Hoping everyone has a great weekend. 

FB_IMG_1557926978025.jpgFB_IMG_1534625529549.jpg65110667_2724876567542110_3924244844498649088_n.jpgMiller Park MilwaukeeMiller Park MilwaukeeMy wife Mary with meMy wife Mary with meOur friends Denise and WayneOur friends Denise and Waynestock-photo-milwaukee-wi-june-miller-park-home-of-the-milwaukee-brewers-284984081.jpg

Recognized Social Butterfly

Greetings,

I saw on the news that the Cookie Monster sang a song during a baseball game. He even got his on Jersey afterwards. Pretty cool 😎

Hot in New Jersey and a good day for the beach

I hope to be going to Rehab soon. Hope everyone is doing well and enjoying their day

Things are looking up.  My helper is back.  Will wrap her in cotton.  I hope my head stops aching pretty soon.  And the feet.  The weather is heating up, 90 degrees for about a week, nights  about 70.  To be expected in July I guess but I still like to complain.  Take care of your health folks.  @n566192l   Feel better soon.

Trusted Social Butterfly

Hi Porch Peeps,

H&H here (Hot and humid)

@LaDolceVita ...So glad you have some relief...if not from the heat at least from the caretaking.

Hope everyone is enjoying their weekend.

Stay hydrated! N

Drink plenty of water!Drink plenty of water!

Honored Social Butterfly

Good Morning, All!

I really, really....

Image result for good morning it's friday

So glad we finally made it to the end of the week.  For me, It's been busy, long, tiresome, and fun too at times.  But I'm glad it's the end of this week.  I'm gonna rest from work, from play, and do ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!!!  That's my goal today.

@Frozenoem , sorry about the loss of your friend. Losing someone is never easy, but I wish you strength and peace.

@LaDolceVita , I hope you feel better.  Just take it easy.  It's the weekend!

Everybody enjoy and keep safe!

Related image

Honored Social Butterfly

Image result for good morning everyone animated

To All Our Front Porchers!

Image result for good morning everyone animated

It's hump day already.  Can't believe how quickly this week is moving.  But it is and I'm just trying to keep up!  Still working a lotta hours and sleepin' much of the rest.  So I guess I'm doing good just checkin' in here today.

Image result for pics of beautiful porches

Sure lookin' forward to the day when I can spend at least a little while lazin'

at home...if not on my front porch, at least on my back patio.  Wistful and wishful thinking indeed!

Wishing everybody a sunny and beautiful ....Image result for pics of coffee and krispy kremes

coffee-laced Krispy Kreme filled kinda day.  That's the latest thing with Krispy Kreme you know--coffee flavored donuts with a hint of coffee in every bite.  Yum!

Image result for animated pouring coffee

Nothing like fresh donuts and an endless cup of joe.  And to everyone I share these few words.....

Image result for enjoy the day

and to.......

Image result for enjoy the day

Lydia

@LydiaN586309   Your back patio looks comfy!  @Frozenoem   Stay upright, stagger is not so bad if you dont hit the ground.

I am exhausted.  Too tired to say more.

Honored Social Butterfly

76* sunny and humidity has arrived, A/C can stay on floor in closet For awhile longer.

@LaDolceVita 

No problem on being short , a friend passed yesterday, One minute you speak of him, call him for his take and then. 

Lost a Fellow PITA, sarcastic exterior with marshmallow interior.  

47E0E295-F170-4579-AFE8-EE8D25410C6F.jpeg

Froze

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!
Trusted Social Butterfly

@Frozenoem ...so sorry for your loss. N.

CondolencesCondolences

Honored Social Butterfly

Spoiler
70* and sunny with swarms, Chell and I came back from morning stagger/  waves in back yard.

Debating how to hay and continue standing, maturity 🤬 Foxtrot.

C wants another stagger, and my presence is required. Apologies for whoever’s birthday I missed, Think I can only remember two posts this week.

Enjoy
Froze

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

Hi, Everyone,

Sitting here with iced coffee this time...Had to turn the AC (ugh) on to preserve my sanity.

This will be our first heat wave this year, and according to the weather folks, the humidity will only get worse as the "wave" goes on. But, as I've said before...It's summer in suburban Philly, what's new?

I was going to go out and wipe down the porch, and maybe vacuum,but it feels too hot to do anything out there.

Oh, BTW...that lemon bundtlet was delicious! So moist and lemony! Cat Very Happy N.

Potted purrchPotted purrch

Honored Social Butterfly

Morning rain coming and 70* with humidity for a first of year.

And with humidity comes swarms of mosquitoes, mega waves by neighbor and I this morning, we were both swarmed. Here comes the Picaridin! And Frontline For Chelli.

@n566192l Geez ask a Mainah about lobsters - White is rarest and albino. Blue, cotton candy, orange, etc.

In people coloring would be determined by melanin , lobsters coloring determined by Astaxanthin.

Not to worry about colors, worry more about even Maine waters heating up and lower numbers of lobster over coming years.

Brown spiders or all spiders treatment, clean , antibiotics and ice with elevationif on leg or arms.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/313661.php

And boric acid for ants, sounded to much like boraxo the way my brain works. After the log cabin on the coast of Maine just became a believer in calling the Orkin guy for all bug infestations.🤣.

He took care of termites, ants and wasps.

@catwoman500 

I blame it all on a quirky memory, punctuation gone but, spelling has lasted.🤣

Too many years coding in LISP, List Processing language for computers.

Froze

Honored Social Butterfly

Good morning to everyone on the Front Porch on this cloudy Monday morning! 

I would like to take a moment to salute those that are or have been a caregiver. 

Hoping everyone has a great week.

65437097_2944467172261234_8889069297410768896_o.jpg65087088_1602693863198309_6540287520159039488_n.jpg64461393_2800702343278501_910361018952056832_n.jpg

Trusted Social Butterfly

Hi, Porchers,

Happy Monday.

I can feel the humidity crepping in after two lovely days. I see AC in the near future as they are callyng for our first heat wave this week.

Meanwhile my coneflowers are looking good...

Bees will find these soon!Bees will find these soon!

Honored Social Butterfly

@catwoman500, I was forced to turn on my AC weeks ago.  Not all the time, but enough to keep the wretched humidity under control.

Have you noticed less bees in your area?  Big difference here in VA.  Right now, my neighbor has her veggie garden up and going but even the tomatoes are looking pretty bloom-less.  No bees to help with the pollination.  Squash has been sort of useless for the past couple of years, unless you manually pollinate them.  Very sad.

Greetings,

Hey did anyone happen to see the rare Blue Lobster that was recently caught? I also understand that there were other rare lobsters that where also found .

MsStretch, my daughter Ashley, has dishes with marbles and water for the 🐝 in our backyard.

Ashley, told me today, she saw 5 Monarch Butterflies in our backyard today. I remember growing up seeing hundreds of Monarch Butterflies in National Guard Field across the street from my house. So sad 😪 that there seem to be fewer of these beautiful creatures

Good Evening,

I need your help . My friends husband works for Ocean Country Public Works. He has been coming home covered in Tics. I remember several people posting great ideas regarding this problem. Can you please , remind me of what to do about the treatment of clothing, yards, etc. Also, what was the best thing to do after you are biten. Ideas for Brown Spider bites.

Thank you so much for your time and research on the issues I need help with today. Frozenoem, I am sure you can help me with this problem. MsStretch, I remember you also posted great ideas. Also, fleas and what is safe and works on lawns. Small ants are also a problem. Thank you! Nancy

Honored Social Butterfly

@n566192l, Froze covered all my bug hints & tips.  Deet or picaridin are my go-tos.  Prefer picaridin (Repel Tick Defense - red can) ever since my Repel 100 (Deet 99.99%) turned the mat on the running board of my truck into a gooey mess, not to mention experiencing smear-y plastic things and other Deet UN-friendly items.  Not sure you can even get 99% Deet anymore.  Consumer Reports said 40% is effective. 

Permethrin also very effective, but quick fix is that picaridin is also safe for spraying on clothes.  Usually, I close my eyes and mouth and spray down!

For annoying itchy bites, I just went to straight ammonia (keep a small bottle), ingredient in AfterBite and window cleaners (another quick hack).

Ants in house?  I like Terro liquid ant baits.  First time I saw a line of ants, I put a couple of these out (under stove and 'frig) and knocking on wood, it has been a couple of years since I've seen any.

Like Froze, I don't use anything outdoors.  Too many critters, not to mention the fur kids.

Never heard about the water dish and marbles trick.  But I'm afraid the feral kids would probably have a ball with something like that.  Toys and a quick rehydration break -- all in one!  They have a water dish, but prefer an old hubcap that I  rinse out and keep full, not to mention whatever puddles or standing pools of stagnant water they can find.  *rolling my eyes*

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, @catwoman500 !

Honored Social Butterfly

@MsStretch 

You’ve seen the flyover on motorized parasail on other group, we still have bees, hornets and wasps. Corn here is low mainly to delay in Spring, can’t grow in mud.

Perhaps stimulate nature with artists brush it’s worked a few time in college years, when it was bad year in CT. Valley of MA.

@n566192l 

No problem if working in tick land spray clothes to dampen with Permethrine. Not while wearing them, let dry and no ticks should happen. Will last even if washed for many washes, number written on can.

Wear light colors they ticks, sleeters like to leap on dark colors. 

Picaridin works with people, safe to use on exposed flesh, I’m slightly allergic to DEET beyond 50%. Picaridin is on my doing battle with bugs list, both are WalMart available.

Keep grass mowed low and woodpiles away from house, you should be golden.

Thermacell does make a tick repellent that seems to work, surrounding yards. Some type of tube not a spray, think it kills the hosts not ticks. Kills mice etc. that eat it.

I don’t spray my grass for bugs, iy’s Clover, violets,  etc, old farmland. Too much wildlife and feral species - cats, gophers, woodchucks, chipmunks,coyotes, etc.

Worry about killing things I like or put up with like 🐿 , if they eat poison like mice or voles they die.

Think I Used diatomaceous earth at one point to dust veg garden and grass. That’s coming from 20 years back, spelling and name might be off.

There is a yard fogger but, with bees dying I stopped using long time back. Borderline treehugger and eco freak who carries anakit.

There also is relatively safe but, pricier propane powered mosquito attractant, that Brings em in and kills them. It uses the 5gal/20 lb propane for bbq’s. Most outdoor restaurants have them -Walmart.

Neighbor swears by 1-2” strip of bleach along all sides of house, to stop ants from entering house. Think borax for fleas sprinkled on carpets then vacuumed out.And last Think Used will come at 4 am in my sleep, from healthstore total blank ( also used on cockroaches) haven’t lived in city for too long , whatever it is it killed them to.😎

Happy time  night night pain killers just hit, one month out from test results, and ayuh broke sternum again-expletive.

What happened to the young guy who used to be here and capable of keeping weight on.😡🤬 I swear I almost blew down the street yesterday in a 30mph gust.

Froze

Trusted Social Butterfly

Hi, Everyone,

@MsStretch ...the normal number of bees around here or so it seems. Since I can't keep up with a garden anymore, I do my tomatoes in a big pot. This year I'm trying grape tomatoes for the first time. I may have mentioned that earlier. The other day I saw wee teeny bees around the blossoms and already some teeny tomatoes are starting to form. Cat Very Happy

@n566192l ...didn't see the blue lobster on the news here.

@Frozenoem ...Yes, you spelled "diatomaceous" correctly. Not that my first graders even had to spell words like that, but as a "former" pool owner, I had to lug the bag of "DE" to skimmer when it was time to backwash the filter. Don't miss that a bit!Cat Wink

So as today is my birthday, I went to Starbucks to collect my free birthday beverage.

Yesterday I stopped at a new place to buy myself a birthday treat for today. It's a new place called Nothing BUNDT Cakes, and they make all kinds and sizes of bundt cakes. I bought a lemon "bundtlet" which is the size of a large cupcake. Can't wait to taste it. I'll attempt to post a photo.

Have a lovely day! N.

Lemon "bundtlet"Lemon "bundtlet"

Kudos
Views
Honored Social Butterfly

Good morning to everyone on the Front Porch on this Saturday in June 1969.

We are looking at a nice day today weather wise with temps in the high 70's. Sunday will be rainy most of the day and caring on into Monday. 

Golf was ok on Thursday with very nice weather.

Hoping everyone has a nice weekend and a restful nights sleep. 

@LaDolceVita I hope you find some assistance with your mother and some peaceful time for yourself. 

62606166_2792705747411494_4373556633352011776_n.jpgenjoy-the-weekend-quote.jpgFB_IMG_1558033846989.jpg12186529_1653945211548773_4268326679935794678_o.jpg

Peonies are one of the best-known and most dearly loved perennials. This is hardly surprising considering their sumptuous beauty and fragrance, trouble-free nature and longevity. Peonies also thrive almost anywhere in the country. Many varieties can even survive a zone 2 winter (that's a low of -50 degrees F). Ours are about done for this year. 

8106-peony-support.jpg

Trusted Social Butterfly

@LaDolceVita ...I feel for you. Sure hope you can hang in there and maintain your own health until you get some relief.

@DaveMcK ...Your peonies sure lasted longer than mine. Mine were over and done with last month!

Had a breakfast out this morning, but had to eat lightly as I have dinner and Game Night later.

Weather is gorgeous with sun, nice temps, and no humidity.

Have a pleasant day, All!

porch napporch nap

Honored Social Butterfly

Good morning to everyone on the Front Porch on this rainy day here in Madison!

Monday was a great day for golf and the weather was great. I also had my best round of the season. Hoping the weather turns out to be as forecasted for golf tomorrow. Also I have to harvest the back lawn tomorrow. 

62035939_2776527999029269_7491881535117721600_n.jpg155897_517931238253210_1854892983_n.jpgturned-railings-round-porch.jpgC-Walkers.gif

Honored Social Butterfly

Upright before noon 64* fog burning off, to rain showers.

Feel another day away from clearing all of side yard, when younger 300’ run of fence seems manageable, now not so much.

Had to go Rangeley earlier this am, just got back. Saw these 4 lying down in a Rangeley and thought you might like.

There is a town and a lap-strake boat, both called same, it’s not a canoe per se.

Been a might wet, up here.Been a might wet, up here.

Enjoy the day.

Froze

Honored Social Butterfly

@Frozenoem , those deer look so relaxed and at home in that canoe.  Great pic!

Honored Social Butterfly

@LydiaN586309 

You just never know what will appear beside or on a road in Maine, one of the more enjoyable reasons for camera/cell at the ready.

Froze

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP