Is your 'stuff' stressing you out? TV personality Matt Paxton has tips for downsizing and decluttering in our free, two-part webinar! Register now.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: MORNING ROLL CALL! MAY - JUNE

Message 121 of 205

@MsStretch 

On subject of raking 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Had oaks, and felled by teenie acorns several times in the last several years.

Telephone company office took them down diseased. 8 foot across stumps. Only have 2 corners where walking becomes a shuffle remaining.

Two members of my town select persons suggested my maples, looked like they were flipping the bird, purely a co-incidence.

There is an easy way to lessen the thump of branches falling on roofs. It’s called a rope powered pole saw. Toss over limb and saw back and forth.

If you lived a tad closer I have a gas powered limb trimmer approx reach 10’ it’s on a pole, you could borrow.

I don’t do roofs at the moment, rentacenters have them. Or you can buy Poulan for around  $190 triple purpose you also can trim grass or brush sand. 

Trimmed some close limbs from a roof in 2006 at Camp, no desire to lose old growth pine standing around 60’, besides nesting bald eagles at top.😎

Froze

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 122 of 205

@Frozenoem wrote:

Check with forester/arborist on health of trees around house, root balls, or learn the sound of good vs hollow (dead/rotted) spaces by whacking trees with axe head (hammer end).

Sugar maples can survive quite abit 60-70% and still come back.

No joy here, closed road and brought them down.

Miss the shade, syrup, don’t miss mulching leaves or branches dropping and taking out power lines.

At least I still have apple, pine, maples, birch and old growth in the back with tree house for resale.

Gosh, how to tell I’ve lived in the woods awhile, Neighbors saw me sweltering while cutting and splitting maples and brought pivoting splitters to use. No joy splitting 4-6’ wide maples with wedge and mauls.Still took a week to move to woodpile.

Froze

Trees are beautiful and the oaks around here keep things cool and shady.  We won't talk about autumn when the leaves fall and you have to shuffle through a daily 3" layer of leaves on the deck to keep from going down by slip-sliding on the acorns.  Not only do I have to 'rake the forest floors' Woman Wink, but shovel off the deck too.

I watched a reporter interview an arborist after the tree killed my neighbor and he said it was a healthy tree, but the ground was oversaturated from recent rains and it just blew over.

Falling branches are also something I can do without.  Heard many a big thump on my roof.  They regularly have crews that trim tree branches away from power lines, but that's not failsafe either.

Still, if I had a choice, would I take them all down?  Nah.  They are healthy and I like the privacy and buffer and as you can see, it really is a nice setting. 

A couple more pictures of the deck tree and another one on the other side.  (You can probably understand why I head downstairs during a storm.)

decktree.jpgThe deck tree dwarfs my little house. The deck was built around it.

housetree.jpgThis tree sits about 4' away on the other side, but makes a nice setting, n'est-ce pas?.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 123 of 205

55* it’s above freezing! And cloudy, tonight maybe answers.

Irregardless Of your choice of bug sprays all can be bought at Walmart at least here, the better stuff is end of aisle upper shelf.

I had 100+ year old sugar maples in front yard, had arborists check when ai bought the place, tried to save them for 15 years with trimming and fertilizers and sprays - no luck.

Check with forester/arborist on health of trees around house, root balls, or learn the sound of good vs hollow (dead/rotted) spaces by whacking trees with axe head (hammer end).

Sugar maples can survive quite abit 60-70% and still come back.

No joy here, closed road and brought them down.

Miss the shade, syrup, don’t miss mulching leaves or branches dropping and taking out power lines.

At least I still have apple, pine, maples, birch and old growth in the back with tree house for resale.

Gosh, how to tell I’ve lived in the woods awhile, Neighbors saw me sweltering while cutting and splitting maples and brought pivoting splitters to use. No joy splitting 4-6’ wide maples with wedge and mauls.Still took a week to move to woodpile.

Froze

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 124 of 205

@LaDolceVita wrote:

@MsStretch   Thanks big time for the information of picaridin.  Looking it up now.  I am not well versed in insect repellants, I usually just dont pay attention unless its on the dogs.  Well I pay attention as I am scratching the bites from deer fly & mosquitoes.  More scared of the chemicals I guess, although I am plenty scared of tick borne diseases.  Is there a brand that is recommended more than another?  Amazon has a plethora of sprays & lotions.  Should check the Walmart site too I guess.  These things are expensive!!

On the subject of trees.  Having moved from Tx we used to try to keep all trees growing around us.  Seeing what a tree did to my neighbor's house I would like to keep them a bit farther now.  Too late, we have a giant oak very close. 

I use Repel Tick Defense.  It comes in a red can.  Also excellent for mosquitoes and a plethora of other annoying little BUGgers.  This old hiker swears by it.

I got it at Walmart in the camping section.  But one day, I went in to restock and NO more Repel red cans!  What?!  Went to their website where still available and ordered for pick-up.  This year, I checked my local Walmart again just for grins, and they had it again, on a very top shelf (usually used for extra restocks) and I grabbed all I could reach without a ladder.  (But, admittedly, I like being able to just order online and pick it up ready to go without the hunt and check-out hassle.)

Trees are nice.  They provide nice shade and cover during those dog days of summer, but during a storm?  Un-uh.  I have a big oak in the middle of my deck!  I often have thought if it came down and didn't smash the house, the roots would take out the building!

oaktree.jpgDeck tree

trees.jpgSurrounded by trees. (The gray shed to the left is the temporary winter kitty encampment which housed their heated huts and cabins. I plan on taking it down for the summer, but does make a nice rain shelter. And look! It's survived the storms and high winds!

Tags (2)
Kudos
Views
Respected Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 125 of 205

Mornin', Porch Peeps,

I'm hoping everyone is safe through all of these awful storms that are giving people trouble all over the place.

We were blessed again yesterday although the regular local NBC 11 PM news was all tornado info and weather stuff.

@LaDolceVita ...Yesterday we got to the playhouse in fine weather and even at intermission it was still dry. However...during the second act there was such a LOUD roar of thunder and heavy rain on the roof, that the 2 actors on stage who had just paused in their dialog, looked at each other, then looked up at the ceiling both with questioning looks on ther faces. It was almost as if it had been planned, and the audience burst into laughter. It was quite comical. Cat LOL

When we left, the rain had stopped and the drive home was fine. Luck was with us again...not so much for surrounding counties that had storms and hail and tornado watches until midnight.

Looking forward to a nice (athough hot on Sunday) weekend.

Remember those who paid the ultimate sacrifice for our Freedom!  Heart  N.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 126 of 205

Good morning to everyone on the Front Porch on this Friday morning! We have a strong storm moving in now . Nice weather outlook for the holiday weekend. We got to play golf yesterday in my Thursday league. The weather was great but I have played better. We have no big plans for Monday as of now. 

• If you had to choose just one item for your anti-mosquito arsenal, a wise choice would be time-tested OFF! Deep Woods Insect Repellent with its 25% DEET concentration that wards off mosquitoes, ticks, flies, and more.

Have a great weekend!

734534_517931191586548_191587225_n.jpg

FB_IMG_1558293566763.jpgFB_IMG_1558359832399.jpgFB_IMG_1557926978025.jpg347672-Chipmunk-Weekend-Greeting.jpgOn-Friday-We-Wear-Red-Wishes-Images.jpg

Posted by Dave the Lighthouse Keeper
Kudos
Views
Respected Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 127 of 205

@MsStretch   Thanks big time for the information of picaridin.  Looking it up now.  I am not well versed in insect repellants, I usually just dont pay attention unless its on the dogs.  Well I pay attention as I am scratching the bites from deer fly & mosquitoes.  More scared of the chemicals I guess, although I am plenty scared of tick borne diseases.  Is there a brand that is recommended more than another?  Amazon has a plethora of sprays & lotions.  Should check the Walmart site too I guess.  These things are expensive!!

On the subject of trees.  Having moved from Tx we used to try to keep all trees growing around us.  Seeing what a tree did to my neighbor's house I would like to keep them a bit farther now.  Too late, we have a giant oak very close. 

@catwoman500  Was your drive home from the theater hair raising?

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 128 of 205

@MsStretch 

Need to agree with you on Picaridin, tried last week.

If swarmed by little ravenous buggers without a can of Deet handy it worked without the rash of 100%.

Even my Otterbox (on phone) was happy plastic cover over touch screen stayed clear, vs smudged plastic.

For clothes presently treated, I’ll stick with Permethrine for this season. Still have a couple of cans kicking around from my Ranger Froze and Camp days, still haven’t expired🤣.

I’ll do anything possible to keep Chelli and me safe from ticks. One to many Moose have been spied down by roads covered by ticks, and awaiting death up here.

Best suggestion during high wind storms , try to avoid trees close to house, second floor/roof usually hit first for tall trees.

Then just for joy you get the wayward tree that smacks the sidewall of house and moves it 1 feet. Happened at Camp, and wasn’t joyous moving Camp back in place again or piers.

Think along with expletives, ended up clearing most dangerous trees away from piers.

Only left old growth pines standing, removed trashier or dying trees. If something stands for 100+ years through everything from blizzards to hurricanes and high winds, it’ll probably remain standing.

Froze

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 129 of 205

We go hit with a hellatious storm this afternoon.  Power blinked -- enough to send my computer, TV (all FIOS) into catatonic stage followed by recovery/reboot mode.  After the recent tragedy across the street, I headed downstairs in my little house.  Thought about encamping under the wrought iron spiral stairs (strong, right?  like standing in a doorway?), but If one of these big trees around here fell, it might be harder extricating me from tangle of iron.  Amazing what goes through your mind after a tragic incident hits close to home.  *shivers*

@LaDolceVita, I started picking off ticks back in March, so yes, it promises to be a healthy season for them.  Funny how immune they are to any kind of climate change.  I used to use Repel 100, but deet can be invasive including melting certain plastics and rubbers (imagine what it does to skin?), but it worked and I put up with the inconveniences, secondary to little insects sucking my blood and causing incessant itching for weeks.   But I've since discovered picaridin.  Safe to spray on clothes and yes! skin, too and works just as well, if not better, and no ucky, icky sticky feeling.

Everyone, stay safe.  Such tragedies unfolding in OK and MO.

Tags (3)
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 130 of 205

66* and cloudy, the rains are preparing to hit hard. Thunderstorms appearing on radar now and not silly little banks but, big muthas.

Have been uptohere in troubleshooting errors for Win10, both here an on-calls.

One more day to answers - hopefully🤣 9 months in Hades gets really old really fast.

Froze

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have a question about AARP membership or benefits? Ask it in the AARP Help Membership forum, Benefits & Discounts forum, or General forum.

multiple white question marks with center red question mark