Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

MORNING ROLL CALL! CLOSED

Honored Social Butterfly

MORNING ROLL CALL! CLOSED

FB_IMG_1546036171423.jpgGood morning to everyone on the Front Porch! Welcome to 2019. We had an overnight snow to ring in the new year. Going to be a slow day today. 

FB_IMG_1546378733946.jpg

Happy-New-Year-Best-Wallpaper-2019-Download-3.jpgFB_IMG_1546354019900.jpgFB_IMG_1546354010963.jpgFB_IMG_1546354004957.jpgFB_IMG_1543890517705.jpg

Posted by Dave the Lighthouse Keeper
Honored Social Butterfly

Good morning, Everybody!

It's still cold here like everybody else has reported.  21 degrees right now.  They say it feels like 1* though.  Two good things though--1) no new snow "yet"  and 2) we all made it through the weekend and holiday!!!  The snow and the cold and the wind hasn't  beaten not one of us.  So to all Our Front Porchers I say keep on keeping on.  Only 57 days til Spring. Godspeed!

Honored Social Butterfly

Almost time for a charge of cell, and battery packs.

If you have well water start filling those jugs now. No power no well, no generator no heat, unless you have woodstove.

expect outages for lengthy periods, turn on the lowest water point (like Basement at a drip) called a bleeder valve, and your pipes shouldnโ€™t  freeze if power out for more than a day.

Check your little greenies propane cylinders for cook stoves. I need my coffee and percolators are ready for camp stove.

My airpot is filled keeps coffee hot for 8 hours, if rinsed with hot water. Itโ€™s the thermos you find at coffee shops, pump for coffee, best $15 ever spent at Coast Guard or NEX exchange in Boston.

Enjoy the snow, at this temp 5* we should get powder - 2 feet but, powder. Beats all heck outa heavy wet snow.

Sleet wouldnโ€™t be pleasant, thatโ€™s a time for power outages, led lamps, or kerosene Aladdinโ€™s. Ayuh have them.

1. Itโ€™s not my first blizzard. 
  2. Bayberry candles in freezer, last longer pre-burn.

Froze

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!
Recognized Social Butterfly

All you  guys sound like you are  pretty snug up there in the north.  Powder snow sounds pretty nice especially if it melts fast.  We have been inundated with rain here. Hardly see the sun a couple of hours a week.  Temps not too bad, 32 at night  40s during the day.

Honored Social Butterfly

11* and powder already have 18-20โ€ of snow on ground, and itโ€™s still snowing๐Ÿคฃ

Chelli Discovered close to garage beneath eaves, less snow and not above her head.๐Ÿ˜

HillbillyWeatherman says it isnโ€™t over, in the colorful language for New Englanders in the snowbelt.

If you see Brrrlin, NH on maps Iโ€™m slightly right๐Ÿคฃin Maine. Time to play enjoy.

Froze

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!

GREETINGS All,

Well just very windy and cold, no snow here in Eatontown NJ

Ground froze over night, helps with tracking in the mud. I have coats on the pups. Just have Dr appointment, then off to Fort Monmouth, to get the supplies to the furloughed members of the coast guard. Stay safe and warm

Nancy

Its gotten cold here in the south too, low of 20 degrees Sunday night.  Willl warm to 60 tomorrow with rain then back to the ice box for the weekend.   January is almost over and that usually means the worst of the cold is over. 

Trusted Social Butterfly

Good Morning, All,

It's 8 and feels like (-)8.

Went out to chase my errant trash can which had blown to the middle of the street so I put on longjohns, boot socks, a turtleneck, heavy sweater, my heaviest jeans, Lands End gloves and parka with hood up. I looked and felt like Nanook of the North. At least there is sun and no snow. The icing never happened because luckily yesterday the winds dried everything up. Winds are obviously still with us as @n566192l mentioned.

I'm not going anywhere today! Cat Tongue N.

Honored Social Butterfly

Guess what Iโ€™ll be doing for the week! Emojis donโ€™t cut it.

-2* with wind chill -22*, awoke to perhaps 2 1/2 feet atop everything else.

Chelli broke trail through 4โ€™ of snow.My dining room window is buried 3/4 up the bottom window of sash.

My snow pants will be used today good to -40*, Maine wardens jacket ayuh! Polypropylene Hat you bet.

Think Iโ€™ll be walking like a penguin for awhile. Kept power starting a fire anyways. Need coffee black!

For your viewing pleasure.Side door think Iโ€™m trapped.Side door think Iโ€™m trapped.

Dining roomDining room

Froze 

Trusted Social Butterfly

@Frozenoem...YIKES! Cat Surprised

Kudos
Views
Honored Social Butterfly

@catwoman500

Itโ€™s fine as long as no longer than 5 minutes at garage door, warm up, 5 minutes at side door. Front door maybe later.

Snow totaled at 4โ€™ and there just arenโ€™t enough layers in the world right now.๐Ÿคฃ

At least itโ€™s powder but, then the wind hits and fingers cease to work.

Gotta love Maine winters! 7 - 10 minutes to frostbite, once was enough.

Froze

Frozenoem,

I better get the other supplies out to you fast. Boy, that's a lot of snow. I remember,when my aunt had a tunnel her way out of her house in Saratoga springs due to snow. Funniest thing I've ever seen. I miss snow โ˜น๏ธ. Love the pictures. Stay safe and warm and enjoy.  Nancy

Honored Social Butterfly

@n566192l

No worries -35* predicted overnights for my corner of Maine.

Chelli has discovered joy of business outside is 1 minute tops.

Since Iโ€™m on the other end of leash, I believe maximum time is 2 minutes!

Shoveling can wait until it warms to 5-20*. Coffee is stockpiled, I will survive ๐Ÿคฃ

Froze-

there is a reason for my name.๐Ÿคฃ

Greetings All,

Well, woke up to rain, and a very puddled yard. Seems like a very muddy day, lots of fun. Catwoman500, did you happen to get snow? Maybe, the storm has passed. Seems to warm for snow, right? Nancy

Trusted Social Butterfly

Hi, Everyone!

Wonder of wonders, the storm seemed to fizzle when it got here. Wahoo! We had about an hour and a half of fast heavy snow last evening before it changed to rain and thankfully washed it all away. This morning it was still just raining. My sump pump was very active last night. The temps went up as the night passed. Our next hurdle was going to be a bad icing situation tonight and tomorrow as the temps are now dropping rapidly to the single digits tonight and through tomorrow and were supposed to freeze all the standing water. Feels like temps will be below zero. But....the wind has picked up and the sun is kind of out, so all that water seems to be drying up! My guess is that there will be little to none of the anticpated problems with ice unless we get a glazing of black ice overnight.

I haven't heard how the people north of us have fared, but I have a feeling you guys were not as lucky as us PA/NJ folks.

Right now we have dropped to 31 ("feels like" temp is 23). N.

Hang in there!

Honored Social Butterfly

Good morning, Our Front Porchers!

Chicken Little was right.  The sky has fallen and brought a ton of snow with it! Yep, it snowed last night, this morning, and still's snow right now.  My "dusting" has become a winter wonderland and the Corn Flake sized snow crystals have heavily layered my pine tree and front bushes like thick cream cheese frosting on carrot cake. (Ummmm. Yum!  But I digress.)  So this will be day two of my self-imposed hibernation.  At least I have plenty of logs for the fireplace,  a pantry full of grub,  and I have to admit, watching the snowfall from the my big picture window....it is quite lovely--picturesque in fact.

Okay everybody, stay warm and stay safe!  

LydiaN586309,

Love The Chicken Little Dancing post. Boy, I wish I could move like that.... Nancy

Honored Social Butterfly

Good morning to everyone on the Front Porch! 

@n566192l Thank you for all you are doing for our deployed members of the service. Also good to hear that Fort Monmouth is available for a place to provide space to house donations for those that have been furloughed from their jobs. Fort Monmouth was my home in 1968 when I was stationed there.

There is a Federal Prison not far from here that has workers there trying to figure out how they will be able to pay their rent and feed their families like many other places. 

It will be very interesting to see how this all plays out.

FB_IMG_1540150418761.jpgFB_IMG_1543595825297.jpgFB_IMG_1534553299793.jpg

Honored Social Butterfly

Good morning to everyone on our Front Porch today! We are expecting a high today in the 30's and in the low 20's over the weekend Starting Friday evening we will be getting up to 3"of snow by Saturday noon. Looking forward to Sunday evening when we meet friends for our Taste of Madison Restaurant Week dinner. FB_IMG_1541777817867.jpgFB_IMG_1535680354600.jpgFB_IMG_1476143664862.jpg 

Honored Social Butterfly

Morning itโ€™s 7* and to all on the east coast and inland, suggest you stock up and prepare for fun.

1-2 Feet coming, perhaps on Saturday and Sunday it you believe weathermen.

Now, itโ€™s off to woodpile for whatelse.๐Ÿคฃ.

Froze

Frozenoem,

You are getting 1 to 2 feet of snow ? Please be safe. I think we, central New Jersey are only getting a few inches. But, the weekend is going to be a mess. I hope the road crews are able to get things cleared up. I have to pick up the special rock salt, because of the dogs. Everyone please be safe. I tend to stay in doors when weather is bad. Plus, I am on a new blood pressure med. I keep falling for some reason. Off to stock up on coffee and ๐Ÿ• supplies. I hope no one loses power due to the weather.

Nancy

Greetings All,

Well, I see a light dusting of snow on the ground. This is fine with me. However, I understand there's another Clipper storm headed our way.

I did see on the news, that an eleven year old has entered college. Way to go ๐Ÿ‘.  I believe he is going to be studying physics and engineering. Hope everyone is doing well and that you are safe. 

Catwoman, how are things by you?  I think you must live close to me. Sorry, I am just really tired. I have been trying to put together items for various for  furloughed workers. See, some of my friends are food brokers. So, my little house is donation Central. Thankfully, there's plenty of help, just need more space. Things are looking up though, I just found out space is available at Fort Monmouth. We will be moving all the donations over there.  I have also been so fortunate, Mike is going to be taking over all the tech stuff for this project. I couldn't be happier. I am not able to do any of this. The project can move forward and grow. Back to the boxes. Nancy

Honored Social Butterfly

18* and sunny heatwave to upper 20โ€™s today, Sunday looks like fun for Maine inland mountains.

@n566192l

Central NJ you may get hammered or ice, neither are fun options. You seem to be in 8-12โ€ land with icing. Stay inside.

Havent been through New Jersey since last road trip , to FL.

About all I recall is the state took forever to drive and I thought ME was lengthy.๐Ÿ˜‡

Forecast still calls for deep doo doo, here. Last night was heat pack self adhesives, everywhere.

Had to go to store (walking) at 2*, slightly brisk. Someone had drooled in my boots, wonder whom๐Ÿคฃ.

Time tp bring in just in case.

Froze

Frozenoem,

I called the post office to try to track your package. The phone message just keeps looping, I am unable to speak to an agent. I am PM you the information. I am sure you are much better at this than I am. 

Nancy

Frozenoem,

Well, I only mailed one of three boxes to you. UPS just called to inform me of the other 2. Glad someone keeps track of me. I will get them to you as soon as possible. Anyway, this is funny, so happy someone else is taking care of the donations over here.  As far as staying inside, not a problem. I am boxed in. More donations arrived while I went for gas. 

Nancy

Honored Social Butterfly

Good morning, Front Porchers!

I hope this morning finds everyone on Our Front Porch doing and doing well.  I know that we are in the full swing of the winter season.  But we have been blessed so far, knock on wood (my head),  with very few occasions of even light snow.  And the few times it has snowed so far,  the snow has presented little to no accumulation and the "dustings" soon melted before the noon sun. I just hope it keeps up!  

Today it's 28 degrees and although it's not sunny, we are having full, bright light under overcast skies.  The weatherman has been threatening winter advisories and potential snowstorms for several days in a row.  But nothing amiss so far. If it keeps up like this,  we may even have Spring early.  Truly wishful thinking.   But in any case, we now have only 62 days til Spring!  Woo Hoo!!!

Honored Social Butterfly

I guess I spoke too soon.  Yesterday, I was celebrating how wrong the weatherman had been.  Well, finally last night he got it right!  Snow fell.  Not much. But enough to keep me inside for the day.  Now, if his further predictions come to pass,  we will be waking up with 4-8 more inches tomorrow morning. Ugh!  I really thought winter's worst would pass us by this year.  But we'll see what comes. It's 31 degrees right now.  Feels like it's more like 22*.  80% chance of snow over night. The snow that fell last night is still on the ground.  Doesn't look like it's going anywhere this time.  Chicken Little is pacing outside my kitchen window.  Yep, the sky is falling!

Nancy,  I love to hear about all you do to help others.  Dogs  and  people are equal opportunity recipients of your caring heart.  You are an inspiration. Be well and stay strong. God bless!

Trusted Social Butterfly

Good Afternoon, All,

Looks like there will be a window to get some things done from now until tomorrow afternoon. Of course every crazy person in the world will be out there buying up everything that stands still. Then it looks like all kinds of "H-E- double hockey sticks" will break loose starting late tomorrow afternoon. It did snow a bit overnight and I'm going to go out soon and clear the car of what's left on it. I did get the spike thing for my cane and I'll probably put on the ice grippers just for added steadiness on the driveway.

We are supposed to get snow and freezing rain and then back to snow and then a deep drop in temps for a freeze over. This does not bode well for the power lines. My biggest fear is losing power. I just hate the cold.

Hoping everyone stays safe and warm this weekend. N.

@catwoman500  Reading your post I am wondering why you are going out to clear your car of snow when you are expecting more?  Have I been living too long in the warm south  (all of my adult life) and just dont understand these things Woman Embarassed

Stay safe and warm folks.  We had snow and ice twice last winter and lost power which was pretty hard one me.  Thankfully it happened before mom's stroke and it was just the inconvenience of no water (we have a well)  and the cold.  We would be in a pickle now as she is an invalid on oxygen with a hospital bed.

@Frozenoem  I see that you walked in drooly boots on snow and you did not fall.  Hope you stay upright especially when outside!

Honored Social Butterfly

Hi all,

Brisk 5* in Maine, snow starts tonight, here!

@LaDolceVita

Clearing snow off vehicles keeeps unpleasant shifts of snow off roof to impede view OR keeps it from becoming one with vehicle until Spring.

Prestone de-icer or a broom while still brush-able. Always preferred broom to de-over or worse that semi- that didnโ€™t clear roof of trailer and 4โ€™ falling onto my windshield x 52โ€™.

@n566192l

Package is at PO, will pick up on Tuesday with luck. Thanx.

Gotta love living in the snowbelt, next to 15 ski slopes.

Need supplies.

Enjoy all.

Froze

Frozenoem,

Great news ๐Ÿ‘.  I still have 2 more boxes to ship to you. Just send me a PM of wants or needs, with in reason of course. Lol. Not like Elmer j fudd I want a mansion and a yacht. I have ALL KINDS OF stuff here with no home. Unfortunately, I have had more response to my request. I had to take the donations over to  Fort Monmouth for storage. I did contact my local food banks and ASPCA , Churches. Hope everyone reminds save and there's no power outage. Nancy

cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroidsยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP