Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

MORNING ROLL CALL APRIL - JUNE CLOSED

Honored Social Butterfly

Good morning everyone on this THURSDAY morning APRIL 1, 2021. 

71315842.jpeg

302328-Goodbye-March-Hello-April.jpg

178949.png

178949.png

Posted by Dave the Lighthouse Keeper
Bronze Conversationalist

@Anonymous    Good Morning, Angela!   Hope all goes well with your tooth this morning!   It will be over and done with before you know it.  Been there done that!    Stay sweet as you are!   🤗

Anonymous
Not applicable

@RosemaryF433825 wrote:

@Anonymous    Good Morning, Angela!   Hope all goes well with your tooth this morning!   It will be over and done with before you know it.  Been there done that!    Stay sweet as you are!   🤗

💥Thanks @RosemaryF433825 I am in car waiting for them to come get me 🙄💥

20210624_085514.jpg

Honored Social Butterfly

@Anonymous wrote:

💥Wednesday - June 23, 2021💥

Lol, completely forgot about my 9am EST Tooth Extraction for tomorrow. 😭 Anyone want to take my place? 😂🤣 So I am binging on the ice cream I got at Walmart tonight. 😱 Hey, it will be 4 to 6 weeks before I can eat it after my extraction. 🙄 And, yes this time they had the one I like = Party Time!!!

Good Luck and hope all goes well and you will be feeling better after it is over and done.

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
Anonymous
Not applicable

@GailL1 wrote:

Good Luck and hope all goes well and you will be feeling better after it is over and done.

💥Thank you @GailL1 💥

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@Anonymous , I think we are good in Virginia for one more day -- 70s again, and then it starts to inch up to 80s+

I just applied online yesterday for my SS benefits.  Reached the end of the line for max bennies, so time to start collecting.  One thing about COVID, they made it easier to do things (online) to avoid cramming people into waiting rooms.  Government offices always seemed to relish seeing peeps in person.  It might have helped I already have a My Social Security account and I already have Medicare.  Hopefully, that will be it. 🤞  I am standing by.  

@Frozenoem , you'd make a good trail overseer.  No power tools allowed, particularly the AT. 😁

Honored Social Butterfly

@MsStretch 

Must be an ATC hikers only requirement about chainsaws.

Vague recollection when still youthful 40-50 park Ranger for both my ex and I, it was chainsaw, gasoline/oil mix, files, extra chains and bar, 2 gallon water, food, tp, rain coat, fleece, sleeping bag (just in case)and tarp for trail maintenance. 50-70 lbs of just in case at Katahdin and Elsewhere.

I don’t think that’s happening again for awhile, my balance is still shot for the moment. Really don’t see myself crawling over or under boulders unless I make a sheath for cane.🤣

My balance IS improving but, not quite there yet. Buck saw is purely for home use for moment. 70 lb pack when you weigh 240 is easy, at 170 not so much.

Froze

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!
Recognized Social Butterfly

@Frozenoem  Good for you on the balance!   @Anonymous   Thanks for the good wishes on the cataract surgery.  My vision is very blurry now. 

Yikes the humidity is back  and the forecast is changed for the worse.  No 90s though in the next 10 days.  This is my last summer here and I want to remain as happy as possible.  Last summer I was exhausted most days from the combination of heat, hill & stairs. 

Honored Social Butterfly

@Frozenoem , ah, could also be a national park/wilderness thing on the power tools and loud invasive noises.

Actually not sure what they use when renovating or repairing some of those remote PATC cabins/shelters in Shenandoah NP.  I do know that supplies go in by donkey or helicopter drop.

Honored Social Butterfly

@MsStretch 

Had to nap, just woke up and was replaying Baxter days in my mind, and a state park elsewhere.

I forgot Percy’s pesky lease, that must have been it, and now with the addition of Quimby’s land, it’s a roll of the 🎲 🎲.

Guess Lockdown took a few memories with it. National Monument or State Park, I can’t recall what they’re called now.

Now, I’m curious, hope I saved the paperwork🤔, somewhere. Haven’t been back lately too far from home.

And have lost desire to camp on ground for awhile,About the same feeling I get every-time someone asks me to help with opening there camp up. Posturepedic, no problem, thermarest pad might be a problem.

Guess I am slightly older.🤣

Re-builds of shelters , leanto’s around here on trail requires 12” spikes and sledges/hammers to power in.

Froze

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!

Lovely cool day in Ga too!  Windows open and cool enough to turn oven on to cook!  The whole month of June has been great, only one semi hot day!  The next 10 days look great too, no 90s in sight.  Have a lovely day Porchers, looks like I will have one!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@LaDolceVita wrote:

Lovely cool day in Ga too!  Windows open and cool enough to turn oven on to cook!  The whole month of June has been great, only one semi hot day!  The next 10 days look great too, no 90s in sight Have a lovely day Porchers, looks like I will have one!

💥Hmmm, cooking @LaDolceVita . Lol, got a spot at your table for me?😂🤣 I use to live in Columbus, Georgia before I left my last ex. 🙄 That is where my furbaby Jeremiah ran away 😭 We also had lived in a lovely old house across the bridge in Phenix City, Alabama. Was such fun having different time zones on each side of the bridge. Had to remember which Time Zone I was in. 😱 Would forget and be late or too early for things.💥

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

💥Wednesday - June 23, 2021💥

Good Morning Porchers!

It is nearly 6am EST here in Cave Spring, Virginia. Time to open up my window to let in some fresh air and nature before it gets hot. Lol, scared to check the weather. 😂🤣 Busy day as I am rich today, Social Security Direct Deposit. Paying rent today so I donot forget it. I have until July 5th before they slap their $35 lat fee on to it. Also Walmart Hell Day. Out of stuff, so need to go. 😭

Lots of luv and hugs.

Honored Social Butterfly

@Anonymous 
Morning 60* glorious degrees, yep I’m surprised. Windows open, and today grass gets mowed.

And with luck one maple 🍁 tree, finally comes down the old fashioned way buck saw. Two remaining chainsaws and ethanol has done me in.🤬

Froze

Honored Social Butterfly

Wonderful family, @DaveMcK . I bet it was nice to gather without the masks and the COVID fear somewhat abated.  For those of us fully vaccinated anyway.

Heat and humidity back for the time being in Virginia.  AC cranked back up, but tomorrow it drops back to the 70s.

I am assuming the KISS pup's owners were located (chipped).  Never did hear back and I checked Animal Control FB and they did not post looking for owner.  There was only one other found dog post and happily, it was updated that he's been returned to his family. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Lol, oh yes, Mr. Humidity is outside @MsStretch 🤣😂 Missing my spring here in Cave Spring, Virginia 😭😭😭

Honored Social Butterfly

Good morning everyone on this Father's day morning June 20, 2021. Welcome to our Front Porch. It is so great to be a Father and first time Grandfather to Adalyn Johnson. 

Happy Father's day to all the Father's on the Front Porch! 

FB_IMG_1624194576619.jpg

FB_IMG_1624194556928.jpg

FB_IMG_1624194095993.jpg

FB_IMG_1613532459214.jpg

Daughters Janice, Mary ( wife ) Emma and Michelle 

Posted by Dave the Lighthouse Keeper
Anonymous
Not applicable

A Happy Belated Father's Day @DaveMcK !!!! And luv those pics 😁

Social Butterfly

Good morning fellow Front Porchers 😁!! Happy Belated Father's Day Dave and all the fathers here on the front porch!!! Beautiful granddaughter you have Dave 😇. Hope everyone is well and enjoying the start of summer. Here in Tucson, Old Mr Heat Miser has a stranglehold on us, average tempt is 108 lol. Wish everyone a wonderful blessed week and remember to stay hydrated!

Kudos
Views
Anonymous
Not applicable

@OscarE1968 wrote:

Good morning fellow Front Porchers 😁!! Happy Belated Father's Day Dave and all the fathers here on the front porch!!! Beautiful granddaughter you have Dave 😇. Hope everyone is well and enjoying the start of summer. Here in Tucson, Old Mr Heat Miser has a stranglehold on us, average tempt is 108 lol. Wish everyone a wonderful blessed week and remember to stay hydrated!

💥Stay cool @OscarE1968 💥

Trusted Social Butterfly

Happy first full day of summer, Porch Peeps. 😎

@LaDolceVita ...I haven’t had the need for the cataract surgery yet. Eye doc appointment is at the end of July, so we’ll see….no pun intended. LOL 👀

@Frozenoem …ha! KISS dog! You are right, but the dog is cuter!

@DaveMcK …glad you had a good Father’s Day. Very quiet around my neighborhood. I smelled one BBQ, but that was about it.

Finally broke down and turned the AC back on today. We are having another heat wave, but not as bad as you folks out west. Trying to save a little money by not turning it on, but at some point, the body screams for less humidity, and today was the day. Hoping it will be a one day shot since storms are supposed to come in and bring cooler air and lower humidity.

Today starts Amazon Prime day. Anyone going on a shopping spree? I looked, but honestly at this point in my life, I don’t need any gadgets that I don’t know how to use. I cook so little that the Insta Pots and the air fryers would be wasted on me. Stove, oven, and microwave do me just fine.

Looked at some clothes, but I can get them cheaper at Kohl’s. So I just ordered a couple of things that I ordinarily order…no prime day discounts on those items.

Happy shopping if you are going to Amazon today or tomorrow.

coffee and wild speculation.jpg

Honored Social Butterfly

@catwoman500 
To be honest I’m still at the what day of the week is this stage, Monday. Summer start today, OK😎

After the gales +50 mph pass later, and the rains👍Might celebrate and put A/C in, no need, only hot +80 twice.

70 is comfy👍, no mosquitos or noticeable black fly explosion this year.

Drought conditions courtesy of not much snow compared to normal. 

@OscarE1968 

Friends in CO, AZ and CA are already complaining of heat in upper 110 & 118* ranges. Three months in Phoenix says Uh, uh 🙄 not happening.Only one case of heat stroke every 40 years allowed.

Cold packs, A/C on in truck for an hour convinced me of that, core temp definitely lowered. Gallons of water consumed, that day and didn’t help.

Time to find a spare monitor and finish microscope, 21”  should work across the room🤔

Froze

Kudos
Views
Anonymous
Not applicable

Lol @Frozenoem what hunks of glass are you swinging? 🤣😂 I have been meaning to ask the first time I saw your post signature? 🤔

Honored Social Butterfly

@Anonymous 

Since 1968 - computer fields. If I ever Re-boot my laptop , might have to change that signature line.Your the second to ask this year?

My first portable Teletype for telecommuters weighed around 80lbs. If the 250 foot thermal paper roll was in case 100 lbs.

EAFABA79-641F-4C34-9B7F-2753D555FBF9.jpeg

I remember ending it’s existence in the early 80’s by shotgun😎. After two rotator cuff surgeries for carrying down/up stairs at DC Metro, and Boston MBTA, etc.

It was like the old Samsonite commercials, it survived flights on jets, across US , CA and UK by trained baggage handlers, and bouncing off tarmac’s from carts. But, the first time  it needed cleaning of its dot matrix head, following the 50 page manual instructions.

Dead, destroyed by service/instruction manual.🤣

Have been swinging hunks of glass, plastic and circuits ever since. Don’t hit e-waste streams any longer by me.

Froze

Anonymous
Not applicable

Lol @Frozenoem luv your ending by shotgun!!! 🤣😂

Anonymous
Not applicable

@catwoman500 luv your coffee picture. Have not had my 1st cup as yet. Just came back from printing out a document at library.

@DaveMcK   What a beautiful baby!  Lovely picture of your daughters too.   @Frozenoem  Thanks for the encouragement. 

Bronze Conversationalist

@DaveMcK Oh my goodness!!!!!!!  Will you look at the new little cherub????   What a darling!    Congrats, Grandpa Dave!!!  And thanks for sharing the photos of the other pretty ladies in your life, too!

HAPPY FATHER'S DAY TO YOU, DAVE... and to all the Dads who post in this section.  And to the yet to be Dads who are father figures and mentors to so many of us.  You are indeed treasures in our lives.

(And HAPPY FATHER'S DAY to my own Dad who made me the woman I am today!  May you be sharing in a special heavenly celebration!   I LOVE YOU !!!)

--Rosemary

Honored Social Butterfly

@LaDolceVita , I've had cataract surgery.  Piece of cake.  You will be amazed at the difference.  For 50 years, I wore contact lenses and not sticking something in my eye took getting used to, but I got over it fast.  Went from 20/700 to 20/15.

The dog is in good hands.  In the long run, we did the only thing possible in calling animal control.  Even if we had gotten him out, we really had no place to keep him.  The Animal Control here is excellent to their guests and at finding them homes -- either adopted or sent to rescue if unclaimed.  Still no response to my Nextdoor app and I checked all the lost pet pages (PawBoost, FB, etc.) and nothing.  🤷

We still have cooler than normal temps here in VA (70s to low 80s, 60s overnight,).  AC hasn't been on for several days, but today I will have to kick it on since temps are inching back up to high 80s-90s). Bummer about your heat and drought, @RosemaryF433825 .  You know what they say -- "Dance as if no one were watching" -- just stay clear of wet concrete. 😄

Honored Social Butterfly

Found a poor doggie in a pit on the property today.  There is a retaining wall that was built around a oak tree and than was backfilled when they hauled yards of dirt in to raise the grade.  About 5' deep.  Neighbor heard a dog bark and didn't see it, so went to look in the woods and lo and behold! he was in the tree pit!  No telling how long he had been there, but I noticed the shed kitties were mostly scarce today.  Tried to ramp a ladder down and a long board for him to come up, but no one really wanted to go down there because he appeared friendly, but he was definitely wary and scared. Lowered some cat food (hey, that's all we had) and a bucket of water and then neighbor started throwing down ham on the board and ladder rungs hoping to lure him up.  He wasn't real thrilled with the sketchy-looking ramps.

I posted a picture on the Nextdoor app and we tried to check with neighbors (who mostly weren't home or answering their phones).  We didn't recognize the dog.  Finally, I called Animal Control.  They were closed, but they still have officers in the field.  Already long story short, poor baby got rescued and will enjoy overnight accommodations at their facility.  Hopefully, he was chipped and the owner will be located.  No one has responded to my Nextdoor post yet, but I did update it on his new location.

"This is the pits!""This is the pits!"

@MsStretch   Poor dog, I hope all turned out well for him.  I am always concerned about what happens to animals not directly under my care, thats why I have so many!

Very lucky year for us summer haters here in Ga!   Only one hot day so far this summer!  I thought I would have to start my countdown to fall,but no, it is pleasant again.  No drought either, garden doing well.

Had my eye exam, ready for cataract surgery with pre op exam on July 1.  I  am feeling pretty relaxed about it, I like the surgeon so that helps.  She did my mother's eye as well as my neighbor, both have 20/20 vision in that eye right now.  It has been a looong time since I have had 20/20 vision in either eye 😟.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP