Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Honored Social Butterfly

MORNING ROLL CALL 2023.

MORNING ROLL CALL 2023
CLOSED USE THE 2024 ADDITION!
Good morning to everyone on this 6th morning of December 2023.

Happy Birthday to all of our December Birthday members.
I turned 80 on December 1st

FB_IMG_1633301117620.jpg

Winners are not people who never fail, but people who never quit and above all who learn from their mistakes. Be a winner this December.”

1000009736.jpg

Posted by Dave the Lighthouse Keeper
Anonymous
Not applicable

1 comment (1/6/23) Happy Friday Other OLD People and have an AWESOME weekend! Nicole 🙃

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

We will be going to our Granddaughter Edelins 10th Birthday party on Saturday. She likes bowling and loves pizza so we will be going to a place that has both.

Honored Social Butterfly

Speaking of being tall and shrinking, I still wear a 36" inseam (and oh yes, they are very hard to find except for online), so my legs are not the culprit. 

Coffee doesn't keep me awake, but I do get a caffeine headache without it.

@Anonymous , happy news your check-up went well.  And just for that, a few photos of the shed kitties.

-- Family pile in a chair.  That's Willie Mae scrunched on the right under her 'designer' sons, Giorgio on left and Stellar on top.-- Family pile in a chair. That's Willie Mae scrunched on the right under her 'designer' sons, Giorgio on left and Stellar on top.

-- Newcomer (at the time) Armani-- Newcomer (at the time) Armani

👆These are pictures from several years ago (cats don't generally change looks too much over time) before Willie Mae and Armani were fixed.  They don't have their tipped ears yet.

-- Stellar lounging in their shelter flanked by huts with heated beds  This was taken a couple of months before he disappeared.  It's been over 2 year and I still miss him.-- Stellar lounging in their shelter flanked by huts with heated beds This was taken a couple of months before he disappeared. It's been over 2 year and I still miss him.

-- Giorgio making air biscuits.-- Giorgio making air biscuits.

-- "Whatcha looking at?"-- "Whatcha looking at?"

-- "Can I borrow the truck to take Mom on a quick jaunt?"-- "Can I borrow the truck to take Mom on a quick jaunt?"

Trusted Social Butterfly

@MsStretch ...Gorgeous furballs!

I was coming in the door from taking the trash out the other afternoon, and up runs this mostly white with a few patches of brown and gray kitty (teenager I presume). He/she came right up to the door as I closed it and meowed at me. Didn't notice a collar, but I told him/her that this wasn't their house. I closed the inside door and felt so guilty. Haven't seen it again since. Pretty sure it's not feral. We haven't had many roaming lately.  I'm thinking that is due to the foxes and other critters in the woods across the street. 😧

Anonymous
Not applicable

2 comments (1/4/23) Okay, since no-one asked how my Wellness Check went this morning, I will presume you all still luv me!/lol 😂🤣 Passed and will see him again in April. I did get a "kudo" from @LaDolceVita for a thread called "Feral Cats" = so she is alive and now I have stopped worrying for now. 🙄 Thank you for that "kudo" 🤎🤗 Still got "jet lag" from my 6am alarm this morning for my 9am doctor's appointment. Grateful my next one is not until Monday for Walmart. Party Time. 🥳 Okay, Everyone - sweet Dreams 😴  Nicole

Anonymous
Not applicable

1 comment (1/5/23) @MsStretch , they are ADORABLE and so sorry for your loss. @LeeS4949 had sent me a "private message" asking the outcome. Thank you both for caring 🤎🤗 Nicole 🙂 

Silver Conversationalist

You're very welcome. Glad you are are ok. 😷

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

1 comment (1/3/23) Hey @Frozenoem , just so you know, @LeeS4949 does NOT always get an "email" like he is suppose for this thread 🙄 so I had sent him an AARP PRIVATE MESSAGE with a "copy" of your post to him about Maine. Hopefully he will LOG INTO his computer at some point and see it. Well I have a Wellness Checkup with my doctor tomorrow at 9am. Luv seeing him but HATE that 6am alarm. 😭 And we are expecting a storm. 😭 Wish me and my Old Lady (2006 Hyundai Elantra) luck with making it down our hill in one piece./lol 🤣😂 That is my favorite thing to do, slide on down when there is ice in the morning. 😱 Have not had our 1st snow here in Cave Spring, Virginia. Party Time! 🥳 Sweet Dreams ALL Community Board Members & Porchers. This old lady is heading get some zzz's around my Neighbors & Trains From Hell. Would wear "ear plugs" but I need to HEAR/lol 😂🤣 Nite 😴 Nicole

Silver Conversationalist

Good morning. Thanks for the PM,it worked!! Good luck with your wellness check today. 🙂

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@catwoman500 , maybe Eagles taking a 'break' before the really serious play gets underway.  I see all the teams in the NFC East clinched a playoff spot except for you-know-who. 😞 They lost to a team who had already been eliminated and now the Commanders join them when the Packers' win sealed that deal. 🙄

Shame what happened during tonight's game. 😟 That is scary.  Hoping for a good outcome for Damar Hamlin.

@Frozenoem , ain't modern meds and side effects grand?  Being a little bit facetious, because I found out in the last year just how beneficial they can be. 

@Anonymous , that old post from several years ago is a blast from the past.  It was a pic of my indoor cat watching her favorite team (Pouncy Panthers, I believe) on Kitten Bowl.  I'd forgotten about that.  I still have Delilah, she's an old lady now.  Will post pics of the shed kitties soon, I promise.

Going on another adventure tomorrow.  Looking for an old abandoned logging camp not far from here.  Have to hone my bushwhacking skills since last winter was a bust for me.  So many old homesites and cemeteries to find... so little time.

Honored Social Butterfly

@MsStretch 

Trust me I know they have good and bad points, these new fangled meds, and old school woodstoves, heating pads, hydrorocolators or bags of rice microwaved in a sock👍.

But, just when I hit 7 miles and no pain. Surprise. Re-arranged body parts. Bone and cartilage, new drugs and dizziness, I’d prefer a little meditation on my navel instead of all the above in either sentence🤔.

Dining rooms chair being used to feed fire wtheck, for just in case moments. New weather patterns approaching are either saying heavy rain or another blizzard next week??

Seems to be a continual learning experience, what’s this pang mean NOW!Thank heavens one will stop in 4 days, then O can hopefully get all shots👍👍.

Flu, Covid and Pneumonia. Not allowed courtesy of one or two pills🤬.

Now it’s bed time, had to work and I’m retired dang it.

@Anonymous 

My only allowed sport is still shooting old computers, the shooting is only targets or after e waste is removed. BPD trained decades ago -69-70 Mustang Fastback ago, memory requires car of moment to recall approximate year at academy. 

Froze

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!
Anonymous
Not applicable

11 comments (1/3/23) I am a big "baby" when it comes to pain @Frozenoem . Lol, you should see me when I had my "wisdom" teeth pulled out. 😭😭😭 And yes, they "numb" but when it begins to wear off, sorry, but pain meds don't even "touch" my pain. Sending health your way. Nicole 🤎🤗

Honored Social Butterfly

@Anonymous 

Pain creates character or p’d off attitude, least that’s what my orthopedic surgeon told me 50 years ago. After jaws of life and a limo vs semi

oopsie, stainless steel runners on my back for 4 years.

With age comes feeling everything that was ever broken, when humidity rises or snow/rain events are coming. Problem being I used to be hiker, sleeping why getting back🤣,don’t plan on running hose lines or chainsaws, gas cans,files, birch hooks, sleeping bag, just in case 2-day food, water bladders 5-gal etc for awhile. Trail crew for state park, decades back same as stretch. Also a relative youth same as stretch.

Tome to make caffeine my mood stabilizer, take several pills and then PT through pain, return to lower back strengthening in front of stove. Then more firewood from porch to woodbox.😎

Enjoy all

Froze

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!
Anonymous
Not applicable

9 comments (1/3/23) Yikes @Frozenoem !!! 😱 And I need my caffeine ️. Lol, no longer "keeps" me awake. I guess at age 64 (65 this year) my body thinks it is "hot chocolate" 🤣😂. Luv you all, Nicole 🤎🤗

Honored Social Butterfly

Drink enough coffee it’s good for waking up and going to sleep🤣. Least that’s the way it works for me👍.

Dark roast wakey, wakey!

Light roast sleepy time.😎

Froze

Anonymous
Not applicable

7 comments (1/3/23) Lol @Frozenoem 🤣😂 Nicole 🙃

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

@MsStretch ...Hope you are right about the Eagles taking a break!

That is so scary about Damar Hamlin. Just read that the Bills-Bengals game won't be made up this weekend. So smart to stop that game. Who could have played after seeing CPR being administered to a player? So sad!

@Frozenoem ...no fair you only shrunk an inch. I lost 2 plus inches and can really notice it when trying to reach something on a high shelf. I used to be the one in the grocery aisle who could help shorter people...now, not so much. At the orthopedist, I asked the nurse to measure me again after she said I was 5'5"! The second time I got an extra 1/4", but, yikes, that is not my 5'7.5"! Guess in a group photo I would no longer be in the back row!

@Anonymous ...still can't drink regular coffee after 5 PM, so have to have all my coffee before that. 

Honored Social Butterfly

@catwoman500 

@Anonymous 

Or anyone of petite stature, just do as my ex 5’1”would do, climb on up, over or into the coolers. Sturdy mounts on all food racks😎.

Used to absolutely amaze me how she could jump into a 2001 Dodge Ram 2500 TUrbo diesel, only slightly lifted. 34” to floorboards.While I was still loading, adding the dogs, gear and trying to get up and in.

Or not , people of height learn from an early age to grab things for petite folks. We don’t mind and are usually used to the request, I think I was 6’4” at 13.

And now have hit the stage of using a 2-step ladder to reach my stock pot atop the cabinets in kitchen, and looking long and hard at the fan pull chain on ceiling to turn up speed. Shoulders are a might crunchy.

Froze

Anonymous
Not applicable

1 comment (1/3/22) @Frozenoem , I use to "climb" the shelves until my "knees" went out./lol 🤣😂 And NOT every "tall" person, including employees have wanted to help me. Sometimes I just "skip" the item and HOARD the next time I can get help. 👌 Nicole 🙃

Silver Conversationalist

I get it! Boy do I get it.

Honored Social Butterfly

@LeeS4949 

Just scanned msgs, a Mainah by birth or other lands? That last bit was cleansed - for me higher elevation than now and from the state we love to hate🤣 but, in a larger town from whence I lived.

Just lived 40+ years Maine Western mountains, Lakes (Richardson & Mooselookmeguntic) and coast in Milbridge.

Froze

Silver Conversationalist

Nice to meet another Mainhah! I was born in Bangor and aside from some military service I never strayed far. Lived in Winslow for a number of years but eventually landed back within 20 miles of my hometown. Great to "meet you".😎

Honored Social Butterfly

@DaveMcK , good for you for sleeping in.  Nothing wrong with that. 😉 I'm a master at that art. 😁

@catwoman500 , glad your holidays worked out merry and happy for everyone.  I, too, hate driving at night.  I hate driving...period!  It's just not fun anymore, constantly on high alert for everyone around you. 😬

Greeted the new year with a First Day Hike at Mason Neck SP here in VA.  (Not like I missed a great Sunday football game or anything. 🙄)  Foggy morning (makes for an ethereal and eerie hike), but it quickly burned off.  Temps climbed (probably the warmest 1st Day Hike I've done in a looooong time) and more peeps came out, but, of course, you can usually find a trail less traveled.  Met a couple with a little boy and girl and they said it was their kids' very first hike ever.  Kids had their little backpacks and looked like they were having a ball discovering Mother Nature.  One of the happiest things I saw. 😄

@Anonymous , you asked me about my username last year.  When I was younger, I was 6' tall and it was a nickname that stuck.  (Of course, shrinkage has occurred over the years and I'd really have to s-t-r-e-t-c-h to reach that height now.)  But 'Stretch' is usually a masculine nickname, hence the Ms.  Old friends still call me Stretch.

Hoping to see the rest of the gang soon.  Hope everything is OK, @Frozenoem , been while since we heard from you.

Recognized Social Butterfly

@MsStretch   Never occurred to me that your name had special significance.  Mine should be non la dolce vita, as really not many seniors have a very sweet life!  There are sweet spots though, especially outdoors on a nice day!  I watch the sunrise and sunset every day. 

Honored Social Butterfly

I live, been busy making new noises when sitting, staring just generally moving. Still 6’3” for shrinkage height, only lost inch in height.

Have been busy discovering modern medicine and side effects of the same. 

@Anonymous 

After taking to friend from old SBA bbs on New Years he told I became Frozenoem back in the

’80’s. Reason being dabbling in original equipment manufacturing (computers,etc) and living in the tundra (western Maine & Western MA) ski slope land.

Frozen

Anonymous
Not applicable

1 comment (1/2/23) Lol @Frozenoem 😂🤣 and so GLAD you checked in!!! ALL we need now are @LaDolceVita and @LeeS4949 🤔 Nicole 🤎🤗

Silver Conversationalist

Lee checking in lol

Trusted Social Butterfly

@MsStretch ...ditto on the "great" football game Sunday. 😾 Pathetic for the 🦅's I swear we never should have played on Christmas Eve. 🤠's owned that one and then we never got good juju back.

Honored Social Butterfly

Yes I am a little late as it was a long holiday weekend so I'm posting now.

Trusted Social Butterfly

Hey there, Porch Peeps,

Happy 2023 to All!

Yesterday was Christmas and New Year's rolled into one as I finally was able to get to my friends' house for our celebration. It was such a nice warm and sunny day.

They got the last of their water back on Friday, and repairs to the roof should begin today.

We had a delicious pork and sauerkraut dinner (with a care package for me to bring home, YAY!) Gifts were given and appreciated. 😸

New Year's Eve was rainy and ugly. I'm deciding I hate driving at night anymore but was able to get my friend and I to our other friend's house to play games and have some munchies. I didn't get home until 1:30 AM...very late for me, so glad I didn't have to leave for the Christmas/New year's celebration until later on Sunday.

Hoping we all have a great start to this new year!

CHEERS!CHEERS!

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP