Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

AARP IS NOTHING BUT A CONDUIT FOR ADVERTISING

Honored Social Butterfly

AARP IS NOTHING BUT A CONDUIT FOR ADVERTISING

I received a thick envelope today from AARP.

Leafing through the contents, I came to the conclusion that AARP is nothing other than a conduit for advertising.

In the envelope were ads for:

Consumer Cellular

Wyndham

EyeMed

Valvoline

Walgreens

The Hartford

Delta Dental

These contents about filled my trash can.

What a waste of paper, what damage to the environment, and what a pointless waste of my time.

Shouldn't AARP concentrate on representing its constituents rather than being a SHILL for other companies?

I think so.

What do you think??????

Totally agree.  I started getting junk mail from AARP when I was in my 30s.  They just sent out random sales literature to addresses from the lists they buy.  Now it looks like they buy email lists from crooks who have stolen the email addresses from other places.  Some of the email addresses to which I get spam were never posted publicly or shared so someone got the info from somewhere.  If privacy laws really protect privacy (they don’t) then the info was gotten illegally.  Speaking of safety, did you know that a fakebook app on your phone harvests your contact info and spies on you even when the app isn’t open?

My mother joined AARP and their auto insurance was more expensive than what she could get on her own, from the same company.  AARP is mainly in the business of using senior advocacy as a front for its main operation, which is shilling for marginally unethical businesses.  

I get spam from crooks who forge AARP email addresses but there is no way to properly report it, which entails forwarding the email.

AARP might be a fun social experience for some people but do your research and don’t assume they have your best interests in mind!  AARP, like every other business today, is interested in helping lighten your load by lightening your wallet!!  The fact that their website is littered with clickbait is a good indicator of their ethical standard.  

Look carefully and you will see that AARP discussion boards are “powered” by Viafoura, which is another company that is probably stealing and selling your personal information, or maybe they’re just helping facebook spy on you. AARP business partners actually contribute to identity theft and spam because they don’t need to abide by AARP’s privacy policy.  Privacy tip: close your social media accounts on fakebook, twitter, tiktok (dangerous chinese government spy app), all of that junk.  Those companies steal your info and sell it to scammers.

I have a special email account set up for this AARP presence.  Now we’ll see how much spam I get from AARP’s “marketing partners”!  FYI, we will never have privacy protection in the USA because, with all of this allegedly business-related spying and information theft disguised as advertising targeting, the government can get all sorts of info on you legally now without a warrant. Think about that before you open an instagram account.

0 Kudos

Today is Nov. 19, 2021, Friday morning: 8:06 am. I agree!!!

I have been trying for about a week to get Texas insurance because I need Texas insurance, ( I moved here about a year ago & its time to get Texas insurance instead of keeping my Louisiana insurance company. 

So far the quotes for a single over 55 one c ar one driver woman have been ridiculous to say the least. So I finally thought I had come up with the best most awesome idea! AARP...they are always sending me emails about my BENEFITS for becoming a memeber, ( recent new member), I have heard about AARP for years, and ALL THEIR BENEFITS TO WE PEOPLE  of a certain age. Well finally I bit the apple, and jumped in with both feet, I joined. 

Well to make a long story short between yesterday and today, I called Hartford to get a quote. They quoted me, yesterday at 91.00 a month, no mention of a down payment I might add. This was the best quote thus far, it was only several dollars above my current La. insurance. So this morning I had decided to go for it, feeling good that AARP was 'True" to form. Well I have never been in an accident in five years, no tickets, good driving record, etc., When she got done reassessing me & and my info her quote was 156.00 down and 110.00 a month. I don't know about anyone else but for me that sounds ridiculous exactly and even higher than other quotes I have gotten recently.  I might add that I politely and calmly (although I was fuming), told her how I felt about that quote, how it wasn't benefitting me as an older driver (over 55, under 60), how AARP was not benefitting me in the car insurance beneficial department by connecting to them on my behalf, and how they were not giving older adults what they proclaim between AARP and themselves as a company, to be beneficial to us if we give them our business, etc.. So I intend this morning to reach out and find the email address of the President of AARP or someone in authority high up enough, to make my same point to him or her. It is very important to me that I speak out and speak up as an older adult, this may as well be called, "another scam". Ms. Freeman

0 Kudos

@RobinF82737 

AARP Member Benefits Team here to help. We certainly understand your concern regarding the service provided by The Hartford. We’d be happy to forward your concern to the Escalation team we work with at The Hartford for their thorough review and investigation if you’d like. To do this, we will need more information. Please send me a private message in the AARP Online Community by clicking this link and entering my username, “AARPLakeisha” into the “Send to” box https://community.aarp.org/t5/notes/composepage. Please provide the following details in your message:

• Your first & last name
  • AARP membership number (or home address)
  • Best contact phone number

We apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate you informing us of your concern. We look forward to hearing from you soon!

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@RobinF82737 wrote:

Today is Nov. 19, 2021, Friday morning: 8:06 am. I agree!!!

So far the quotes for a single over 55 one c ar one driver woman have been ridiculous to say the least. So I finally thought I had come up with the best most awesome idea! AARP...they are always sending me emails about my BENEFITS for becoming a memeber,

When she got done reassessing me & and my info her quote was 156.00 down and 110.00 a month.  Ms. Freeman

This is exactly what I am talking about.

In fact, @RobinF82737, What you were quoted for one car, I pay that amount for TWO CARS....... ONE BRAND NEW and the other A HIGH END VEHICLE.

Their quote is, as you say ridiculous.

Most of AARP'S "discounts" can be either found elsewhere or are "bested" by discounts from other sources.

AARP IS JUST A CONDUIT FOR ADVERTISING........their discounts are inferior.

0 Kudos

Hello Again, 

It is now 8:55 am. I just emailed these posts to the Executive Team. All of them. I believe they need to hear what we have to say and respond accordingly. It is done!

Have a wonderful Friday today!

R. Freeman

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Can't comment on any value an AARP benefit might give to one but just remember all the other things about oneself which are included in any auto policy pricing.

• Zip Code - meaning the amount of traffic / accidents
  • number of uninsured motorist in the area
  • one's age
  • one's credit score
  • the average value of the autos in the area
  • car thefts in the area
  • pay all at once discounts

Used cars are currently up about 26% because of high demand and limited supply.

CNN 07/08/2021 - Here's why car prices are so high, and why that matters

In turn, used car insurance premiums are rising because of having to replace one to one that is similar.  Repair cost is also higher because of inflation and the availability of parts.

Hartford - the AARP branded one - also has some individualized options and coverage  - that may or may not be of interest to one. Things like:

• Disappearing Deductibles
  • RecoverCare Advantage
  • Accident Forgiveness 

https://www.thehartford.com/aarp/car-insurance/discounts 

It also has a footnote on this page that says:

** Automobile/Homeowners discount is available only to policyholders who have both their auto and home (or condo or renters) insurance through the AARP Auto & Home Insurance Programs from The Hartford. The homeowners product is not available in all areas, including the state of Florida.

The footnote on their webpage says:  (quote)

AARP Home & Auto Insurance Program from The Hartford

In Texas, the Auto Program is underwritten by GEICO Texas County Mutual Insurance Company through Hartford Fire General Agency. Hartford Fire Insurance Company and its affiliates are not financially responsible for insurance products underwritten and issued by GEICO Texas County Mutual Insurance Company. Effective 10/16/21, the Auto Program is underwritten by Trumbull Insurance Company. The Home Program is underwritten by Trumbull Insurance Company.

That's why you have to evaluate the actual policy, not just the price, to see what is the best fit for you.  Compare apples to apples.

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
Trusted Social Butterfly

Must admit a little surprise at the volume of stuff coming from AARP, but the credit union does the same thing....less quantity.

'tis a nuisance.

Contributor

As in most advertising, AARP is probably getting some funding from those advertisers. I , too, am getting fed up with junk mail. I check my mailbox about twice a week now, since Covid hit. I used to use the junk mail in my wood stove to start the fires. I don't need the stove any more so, I either throw the paper away or burn it in the barrel out back. 

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Breakout® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP