Content starts here

Temporary Loss Of Employer Provided Health Coverage


Temporary Loss Of Employer Provided Health Coverage

Working age 67.

Wife revceives SS, I receive Spouse benefit.

We are both enrolled in Part A.

No Part B yet, my employer provides health insurance.

On layoff due to national health crisis.

Last day of health coverage is 30APR.

Will be returning to work within two to three weeks.

Health coverage will reinstate, no feedback yet from employer on when.


What do I do for coverage in the interim?


My understanding so far:

In communication with, advised to sign up for Part B after employer coverage ended.

SEP for 8 months after loss of coverage to sign up for Part B without penalty.

But I don't want Part B until fully retired, maybe a year or two away.

Later, advised I don't need to sign up for Part B if going back to work within SEP, no penalty.

COBRA is a not an option, complicates and delays Part B and Medigap when fully retired.


Any knowledge of a similar situation, and how to handle it?




0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly



We certainly aren't in "normal" times and your problem, hopefully short-lived, isn't an easy one to rectify.


Your main problem seems to be the prophecy of the future and the timing of the matter.


In your case, because you have had interium coverage from your employer and you are older than 65 now, signing up for Part B will take time and documentation from your employer.  You won't have a late signup penalty and you do have time (8-months) but the real problem is your insurance coverage for these Part B (and maybe Part D) coverage item. 


Of course Part B can be stopped after it has started, but the process is filled with paperwork from you and your employer and is not an easy task even in "normal" times.


Social Security FAQ: How do I terminate my Medicare Part B (medical insurance)? 

from the link ~

You can voluntarily terminate your Medicare Part B (medical insurance). However, since this is a serious decision, you may need to have a personal interview. A Social Security representative will help you complete Form CMS 1763. To find out more about how to terminate Medicare Part B or to schedule a personal interview, contact us at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY: 1-800-325-0778) between Monday through Friday from 8:00 AM to 5:30 PM. You can also contact your nearest Social Security office.


So signing up for Part B (and perhaps Part D) and then terminating Part B (and perhaps Part D) when your employer coverage begin again is possible but a pain and will require work and precision in timing.  Then of course, you also mentioned a Medigap (GAP) policy too.


I find it odd that your employer is not keeping the coverage for just a few weeks more but guess that is up to them unless they have gotten a PPP loan/grant - where they should keep it going to qualify.


What has your employer advise you and any others in this special situation to do? 

Think you will just have to make the best decision you can based on what you think the future is going to be with your job and employer coverage. 



It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
0 Kudos
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Need to Know

AARP Limited Time Offer: Memorial Day Sale! Join or renew for just $9 per year when you sign up for a 5-year term and get a FREE gift.

AARP Memorial Day Membership Sale

More From AARP