Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Contributor

Silver Sneakers

I live in California and am covered by Medi-Cal. Is there anyone that has experienced any coverage problems?

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

So this is the response of AARP & United Healthcare....

AARP Medicare Advantage plans insured by United Healthcare will be offered the program called Renew Active, formerly Optum Fitness Advantage.

AARP Medicare Supplemental (Medigap) plans insured by United Healthcare are offered the program called Health Your Way.

If AARP was really looking out for us they would have told United Healthcare the removal of silver sneakers was a deal breaker for recommendation but NO AARP did nothing in my view. If you also look at the Rx rteceommendation through Optum Rx you will find similiar tactics in the drug coverages.....I have complained to AARP and it looks like the only resolution is to change at open enrollment.....shame on me for not doing a better due diligence on these underhanded tactics but I mistakenly thought AARP had my back. WRONG AGAIN.....

Contributor

this is a very worthwhile cause. Bring Silver Sneakers back Now I have to pay and cannot afford this extra montly bill.

Contributor

AGREE!!!! BRING SILVER SNEAKERS BACK!!!!
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I forgot to mention that in 2018, UHC is estimated to earn over $12 billion dollars ( that’s Billion with a B) of net income.  This is an increase of about 120% in the last five years, so UHC is certainly not hurting financially.

i just don’t understand why UHC would anger such a large number of their customer base which has given them record profits over the past few years.

They have replaced the free Silver Sneakers program with access to a wellness coach.  I am pretty confident that the first recommendation of a fitness coach to stay healthy would be regular exercise, and would probably quote the Cleveland Clinic study as proof of the benefit of regular exercise.

Contributor

AGREE!!! The new wellness program called HealthYourWay only pays one half of the enrollment fee and is not usable when traveling. A big loss and I also intend to look for other coverage in October 2019
0 Kudos
Contributor

Am also upset with AARP. I sure hope they are happy with their 'belt tightening' initiative, concerning Silver Sneakers; looking at the response from AARP members... (my wife and I are also members... this may be our last year.) it seems AARP may be seeing a large exodus of members at the end of this year. Not very good PR for either AARP and UHC.

Contributor

Agree 100%.....Bring Back Silver Sneakers.
0 Kudos

I am terribly disappointed inAARP UHC. I have been a member for 8 years and brag to everyone about how wonderful they are. This year 2 of my friends signed up on my recommendation. I'm very embarrassed  now, that the promised Silver Sneakers is gone. The very worst part is the sneaky, underhanded way it was done. So no one had a chance to choose for themselves.

Contributor

Yes, agree, and one other thing people might like to know. they are limiting how many replies get posted so it appears that not a lot of interest....thats a lie. Everyone I talk to that has insurance through UHC/AARP, is unhappy about the loss of Silver Sneakers benefit, but word isn't getting out though this medium. You need to go to facebook and instragram and post there for people to here.
Contributor

I'd like to ad my voice to those who are VERY disappointed in AARP for dropping/changing the Silver Sneakers program.

United Health Care should be smart enough to know that they are saving money by having as many seniors as possible involved in healthy workouts. 

I heard or read that not that many AARP members were using the benefit.  That hardly seems to be reason to chop the program up.  That means to me that it's not costing United as much as it could.  It also indicates maybe some more promotion might be in order.

There will always be those who are couch sitters.  It seems to me a much better approach is to pass the word and encourage everyone who can to get out there and exercise!

Perhaps United and AARP would like us all to just sit of the couch!  I wonder how their expenses would increase then???

Contributor

You are right. When they say not many were using the Silver Sneakers program, that's just their way to justify without proof. I think more were using than they say as evidenced by these posts. Only one out of every 100 people will bother to post a response or to post a complaint. But is does not mean they are not happy. That will be evidenced when people change to other plans. I hear the Anthem has the Silver Sneakers program...check them out.
0 Kudos
Contributor

One of the reasons I signed up for the AARP United Health Care plan was that it included the Silver Sneakers program.  I was very disappointed to receive a letter in December announcing the change in the program. The program seemed to me to be a win-win for all concerned--the gyms (because seniors are more likely to use them during the daytime hours when they are less busy), the seniors (whose health is improved) and the health care plans (who presumably pay fewer medical costs when seniors are healthier).  AARP should reconsider requiring this benefit to be included, or seek out a partner that will include it in future bids.

Periodic Contributor

I was told by an United Healthcare rep when I changed over to their insurance for 2019 that they no longer offered Silversneakers BUT they offered another fitness program, Renew Active, that will be honored at my local fitness facility. Needless to say, I went in to resign up and I was told, yes they honor it but... it is a 50/50 plan!! Yes, I now have to pay half the monthly fitness plan fee! I was never told this. I had to call United Healthcare customer service to get a PIN number in order to activate my membership with the club. I voiced my opinion and he really didn't have anything to say about it but.."I'm sorry." Well, guess who has to wait another whole year to look for another insurance company...Not a happy customer.
Contributor

Good for you posting this to the website so others will not be taken for fools. The new plan is bad.
0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

@LindaNL -- You do NOT have to wait a year to switch to another medigap insurance company who provides SilverSneakers!  Just be aware that your application will be subjected to underwriting (medical review), so if you have any pre-existing conditions, you could be denied (but there's no harm in trying).  😉

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

To elaborate on my post to LInda NL, you may change Medicare Supplement (Medigap) plans at any time of the year!  There is no restriction on when you can change, however you will have to qualify medically, which means you will likely be denied if you have what the insurance company's underwriting dept. considers a serious medical condition!  I know of one exception to this - if you are a California or Oregon resident and apply within 30 days of your birthday you cannot be denied for pre-existing conditions during that period.  This is know as the "birthday rule" in those states (as far as I know, CA and OR are the only two states in the USA that have incorporated this "birthday rule").

I am very unhappy with AARP and United Healthcare for dropping Silversneakers in 2019.   One of the main reasons I signed up for AARP and United Healthcare is I believed they cared about the health of seniors.   We will lose a lot of health benefit from the loss of the program.

WJ

Contributor

I've noticed that about fifty people a day are viewing this topic on Silver Sneakers.  If you desire AARP to take action on reinstating Silver Sneakers with UHC insurance then please add your own post on this.  The more AARP sees that this matters to members the more likely they will react.  Just click reply. You will see the very first posting on this subject from a few years ago.  Don't let that concern you; your reply will come up as the next one on the current Silver Sneakers subject.  You will have to sign in to AARP to complete your reply.  It is not that difficult.  Please reply.  One reply a day won't make that much of an impression, but if the fifty viewers a day each posted then it will make a statement.  Thank you and have a Happy, Healthy, Holidays.

Contributor

Most people won't take the time to post about being unhappy, but they will think twice when making their selection for next year. Anthem has the Silver Sneakers program, check them out.

I am very disappointed that Silver Snekers is not being honored by AARP United Health Care services. Shame on you, we seniors need more help, not less

Periodic Contributor

I too, am disappointed. I've been a Silver Sneakers member for a few years and just this coming year changed over to United HealthCare. Bam! Now I found out they will no longer have Silver Sneakers? Why? I'm confused. It is such a great program.
Contributor

I too missed the September notice of the dropping of Silver Sneakers from AARP UHC plans.  I just received UHC's December letter and am very dissapointed with AARP allowing this to happen for us Ohio members.  I of course am very dissapointed that AARP approved of UHC doing this.  Shows how very little they think of members and us seniors.  I will start to question any of AARP's future policies and are they a benifit for seniors or just AARP's finances. 

Contributor

agree 100%. Please also post to facebook and instragram so others will know the underhanded way they eliminated this very beneficial program to seniors. Shame on AARP for allowing this to happen. Bring back Silver Sneakers. Also, just so you know. I have noticed that it looks like all posts are not being shared. Their way of making it look like not many are interested? I wonder??
Contributor

Agree. Dropping Silver Sneakers is a kick in the head to seniors.
Regular Contributor

"Listening To You

Input from AARP's diverse membership shapes everything we do as an organization."

Okay AARP, by now you have heard enough from us on this issue, so if your mission guideline (above) is really true, it's time for you to act!!!

Contributor

I missed the announcement about SilverSneakers back in September.  Sad to see that your dropping SilverSneakers, I joined this about 2 months ago and joined a Gym under the program.  Now I see this will be dropped and no longer offered.  The options left are not good and makes we wonder why I signed up for Health Care through AARP, maybe it's time to go to another provider.  Kinda sneaky how this was announced. 

I too am very disappointed in Aarp United Healthcare discontinuing the Silver Sneakers Program.  Silver Sneakers is one of the advantages I looked forward to when signing up for this Supplemental Insurance Plan. I will be looking for a different insurance next year when enrollment opens again.  Sorry to find out seniors health fitness is not important to your company.  

Periodic Contributor

If a couple is in good health the Silver Sneakers benefit is very rewarding, not just to a persons health and financial health but also to the lower financial costs of the Insurance Company providing this benefit.

AARP and United Healthcare are really showing a true lack of concern for customers by removing this Silver Sneaker benefit. This program has now been replaced by a "special program offer of 50% off the monthly membership retail rate" at a very few and non-beneficail locations. This is just AARP & UHC "blowing smoke" into the customers (add your own thought here) by misdirection. If a "couple" both recieve 50% off,,, well that's not much different from paying 100% which is comparable to a normal family membership cost.

We signed up for AARP-UHC this November 2018 due to being told that the Silver Sneakers program was available. I guess it was, but not for long.

We'll be another pair of Retiree's that will be dumping AARP & UHC next enrollment just like I suspect several thousand current customers will be. I've read that Blue Cross & Cigna both currently provide Silver Sneakers so that's where we'll be shopping.

Contributor

I am not happy with AARP and United Healthcare to drop Silversneakers for 2019.   One of the main reasons I signed up for AARP and United Healthcare is I believed they cared about the health of seniors.  Taking this benefit away is devastating.  

What can we do to make sure our voice is heard about this specific topic???    

Periodic Contributor

We will be switching next year in the open enrollment period.  This is a dumb mistake by United and their marketing arm AARP.  After just a basic medicare supplement insurance - which is the same from all vendors - the silver sneakers program was the only reason to even talk to AARP.  Next year - gone. 

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroids® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP