There's always more to discover with an AARP membership! Check out your member benefits.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Silver Sneakers

Message 31 of 64

Am also upset with AARP. I sure hope they are happy with their 'belt tightening' initiative, concerning Silver Sneakers; looking at the response from AARP members... (my wife and I are also members... this may be our last year.) it seems AARP may be seeing a large exodus of members at the end of this year. Not very good PR for either AARP and UHC.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 32 of 64

To elaborate on my post to LInda NL, you may change Medicare Supplement (Medigap) plans at any time of the year!  There is no restriction on when you can change, however you will have to qualify medically, which means you will likely be denied if you have what the insurance company's underwriting dept. considers a serious medical condition!  I know of one exception to this - if you are a California or Oregon resident and apply within 30 days of your birthday you cannot be denied for pre-existing conditions during that period.  This is know as the "birthday rule" in those states (as far as I know, CA and OR are the only two states in the USA that have incorporated this "birthday rule").

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 33 of 64

@LindaNL -- You do NOT have to wait a year to switch to another medigap insurance company who provides SilverSneakers!  Just be aware that your application will be subjected to underwriting (medical review), so if you have any pre-existing conditions, you could be denied (but there's no harm in trying).  Smiley Wink

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 34 of 64

I am terribly disappointed inAARP UHC. I have been a member for 8 years and brag to everyone about how wonderful they are. This year 2 of my friends signed up on my recommendation. I'm very embarrassed  now, that the promised Silver Sneakers is gone. The very worst part is the sneaky, underhanded way it was done. So no one had a chance to choose for themselves.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 35 of 64
I was told by an United Healthcare rep when I changed over to their insurance for 2019 that they no longer offered Silversneakers BUT they offered another fitness program, Renew Active, that will be honored at my local fitness facility. Needless to say, I went in to resign up and I was told, yes they honor it but... it is a 50/50 plan!! Yes, I now have to pay half the monthly fitness plan fee! I was never told this. I had to call United Healthcare customer service to get a PIN number in order to activate my membership with the club. I voiced my opinion and he really didn't have anything to say about it but.."I'm sorry." Well, guess who has to wait another whole year to look for another insurance company...Not a happy customer.
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 36 of 64

One of the reasons I signed up for the AARP United Health Care plan was that it included the Silver Sneakers program.  I was very disappointed to receive a letter in December announcing the change in the program. The program seemed to me to be a win-win for all concerned--the gyms (because seniors are more likely to use them during the daytime hours when they are less busy), the seniors (whose health is improved) and the health care plans (who presumably pay fewer medical costs when seniors are healthier).  AARP should reconsider requiring this benefit to be included, or seek out a partner that will include it in future bids.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 37 of 64

I'd like to ad my voice to those who are VERY disappointed in AARP for dropping/changing the Silver Sneakers program.

United Health Care should be smart enough to know that they are saving money by having as many seniors as possible involved in healthy workouts. 

I heard or read that not that many AARP members were using the benefit.  That hardly seems to be reason to chop the program up.  That means to me that it's not costing United as much as it could.  It also indicates maybe some more promotion might be in order.

There will always be those who are couch sitters.  It seems to me a much better approach is to pass the word and encourage everyone who can to get out there and exercise!

Perhaps United and AARP would like us all to just sit of the couch!  I wonder how their expenses would increase then???

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 38 of 64
Agree. Dropping Silver Sneakers is a kick in the head to seniors.
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 39 of 64

I am very unhappy with AARP and United Healthcare for dropping Silversneakers in 2019.   One of the main reasons I signed up for AARP and United Healthcare is I believed they cared about the health of seniors.   We will lose a lot of health benefit from the loss of the program.

WJ

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 40 of 64
I too, am disappointed. I've been a Silver Sneakers member for a few years and just this coming year changed over to United HealthCare. Bam! Now I found out they will no longer have Silver Sneakers? Why? I'm confused. It is such a great program.
Kudos
Views