Keep yourself safe from scams with AARP’s free, two-part webinar Feb. 5 and Feb. 7. Sign up today!

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Silver Sneakers

Message 1 of 42

@AARPTeri wrote:

@le731  We have posted the information you are looking for here:  https://community.aarp.org/t5/Health/What-is-happening-with-the-AARP-Medicare-Plan-and-Silver/ta-p/2...

AARPTeri,

While that is a good informative response from this membership organization, I believe they should go one step further and explain that the benefit which will be offered from UHC will be determined by what type of AARP Branded Medicare plan from UHC which they have.

AARP Medicare Advantage plans insured by United Healthcare will be offered the program called Renew Active, formerly Optum Fitness Advantage.

AARP Medicare Supplemental (Medigap) plans insured by United Healthcare are offered the program called Health Your Way.

Sometimes beneficiaries aren't given this detail and it is confusing to them when they try to get information - their plan makes the difference in how the UHC rep describes their optional health and wellness benefit.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Community Manager
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 42

@le731  We have posted the information you are looking for here:  https://community.aarp.org/t5/Health/What-is-happening-with-the-AARP-Medicare-Plan-and-Silver/ta-p/2...

AARPTeri
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 42

Dear readers, please confirm that we can no longer qualify for silver sneakers through AARP, is that true?

If so what exercise service will AARP cover and how do we register? Thank you.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 42

this is a very worthwhile cause. Bring Silver Sneakers back Now I have to pay and cannot afford this extra montly bill.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 42

@p107249I,  are you in a Medicare Advantage Plan or a Medicare Supplement Plan?  If the latter, there's no need to wait - you can to switch to another company's Medicare Supplement Plan at any time if you are in good health (as discussed in my prior post).  ...unfortunately, that's not the case if you are in a Medicare Advantage Plan. Smiley Sad

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 42

I am very disappointed in AARP and United Healthcare regarding Silver Sneakers.  At the next open enrollment, I will be looking for a new insurance carrier.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker +
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 42

I forgot to mention that in 2018, UHC is estimated to earn over $12 billion dollars ( that’s Billion with a B) of net income.  This is an increase of about 120% in the last five years, so UHC is certainly not hurting financially.

i just don’t understand why UHC would anger such a large number of their customer base which has given them record profits over the past few years.

They have replaced the free Silver Sneakers program with access to a wellness coach.  I am pretty confident that the first recommendation of a fitness coach to stay healthy would be regular exercise, and would probably quote the Cleveland Clinic study as proof of the benefit of regular exercise.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker +
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 42

When AARP/UHC cancelled the free Silver Sneakers program, what they did was to DISCOURAGE seniors exercising, as many seniors could no longer afford a gym membership.  Without access to gym facilities, regular exercise almost always goes by the wayside.

Meanwhile, the prestigious Cleveland Clinic published the results of a ten year study on over 120,000 participants.  Their conclusion, published in the also prestigious Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA) is that a sedentary lifestyle (lack of regular exercise) was MORE DANGEROUS TO YOUR HEALTH THAN SMOKING.

Said differently ( a little tongue in cheek), you would be better off starting to smoke than to quit regular exercise.

AARP is a wonderful organization.  But even wonderful organizations make mistakes.  AARP...PLEASE BRING BACK FREE SILVER SNEAKERS PROGRAM.  IF UHC WONT AGREE, FIRE THEM AND FIND A DIFFERENT PARTNER TO MARKET MEDICARE supplement and advantage programs.

AARP members....if you agree with this post, please send me an email at shamoo11111@yahoo.com.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 42

Am also upset with AARP. I sure hope they are happy with their 'belt tightening' initiative, concerning Silver Sneakers; looking at the response from AARP members... (my wife and I are also members... this may be our last year.) it seems AARP may be seeing a large exodus of members at the end of this year. Not very good PR for either AARP and UHC.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 42

To elaborate on my post to LInda NL, you may change Medicare Supplement (Medigap) plans at any time of the year!  There is no restriction on when you can change, however you will have to qualify medically, which means you will likely be denied if you have what the insurance company's underwriting dept. considers a serious medical condition!  I know of one exception to this - if you are a California or Oregon resident and apply within 30 days of your birthday you cannot be denied for pre-existing conditions during that period.  This is know as the "birthday rule" in those states (as far as I know, CA and OR are the only two states in the USA that have incorporated this "birthday rule").

Kudos
Views