Keep yourself safe from scams with AARP’s free, two-part webinar Feb. 5 and Feb. 7. Sign up today!

Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Silver Sneakers

Message 11 of 42

@LindaNL -- You do NOT have to wait a year to switch to another medigap insurance company who provides SilverSneakers!  Just be aware that your application will be subjected to underwriting (medical review), so if you have any pre-existing conditions, you could be denied (but there's no harm in trying).  Smiley Wink

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 42

I am terribly disappointed inAARP UHC. I have been a member for 8 years and brag to everyone about how wonderful they are. This year 2 of my friends signed up on my recommendation. I'm very embarrassed  now, that the promised Silver Sneakers is gone. The very worst part is the sneaky, underhanded way it was done. So no one had a chance to choose for themselves.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 42
I was told by an United Healthcare rep when I changed over to their insurance for 2019 that they no longer offered Silversneakers BUT they offered another fitness program, Renew Active, that will be honored at my local fitness facility. Needless to say, I went in to resign up and I was told, yes they honor it but... it is a 50/50 plan!! Yes, I now have to pay half the monthly fitness plan fee! I was never told this. I had to call United Healthcare customer service to get a PIN number in order to activate my membership with the club. I voiced my opinion and he really didn't have anything to say about it but.."I'm sorry." Well, guess who has to wait another whole year to look for another insurance company...Not a happy customer.
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 42

One of the reasons I signed up for the AARP United Health Care plan was that it included the Silver Sneakers program.  I was very disappointed to receive a letter in December announcing the change in the program. The program seemed to me to be a win-win for all concerned--the gyms (because seniors are more likely to use them during the daytime hours when they are less busy), the seniors (whose health is improved) and the health care plans (who presumably pay fewer medical costs when seniors are healthier).  AARP should reconsider requiring this benefit to be included, or seek out a partner that will include it in future bids.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 42

I'd like to ad my voice to those who are VERY disappointed in AARP for dropping/changing the Silver Sneakers program.

United Health Care should be smart enough to know that they are saving money by having as many seniors as possible involved in healthy workouts. 

I heard or read that not that many AARP members were using the benefit.  That hardly seems to be reason to chop the program up.  That means to me that it's not costing United as much as it could.  It also indicates maybe some more promotion might be in order.

There will always be those who are couch sitters.  It seems to me a much better approach is to pass the word and encourage everyone who can to get out there and exercise!

Perhaps United and AARP would like us all to just sit of the couch!  I wonder how their expenses would increase then???

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 42
Agree. Dropping Silver Sneakers is a kick in the head to seniors.
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 42

I am very unhappy with AARP and United Healthcare for dropping Silversneakers in 2019.   One of the main reasons I signed up for AARP and United Healthcare is I believed they cared about the health of seniors.   We will lose a lot of health benefit from the loss of the program.

WJ

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 42
I too, am disappointed. I've been a Silver Sneakers member for a few years and just this coming year changed over to United HealthCare. Bam! Now I found out they will no longer have Silver Sneakers? Why? I'm confused. It is such a great program.
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 42

I am very disappointed that Silver Snekers is not being honored by AARP United Health Care services. Shame on you, we seniors need more help, not less

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 42

I've noticed that about fifty people a day are viewing this topic on Silver Sneakers.  If you desire AARP to take action on reinstating Silver Sneakers with UHC insurance then please add your own post on this.  The more AARP sees that this matters to members the more likely they will react.  Just click reply. You will see the very first posting on this subject from a few years ago.  Don't let that concern you; your reply will come up as the next one on the current Silver Sneakers subject.  You will have to sign in to AARP to complete your reply.  It is not that difficult.  Please reply.  One reply a day won't make that much of an impression, but if the fifty viewers a day each posted then it will make a statement.  Thank you and have a Happy, Healthy, Holidays.

Kudos
Views