Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Silver Sneakers being dropped by AARP recommended insurer

Message 131 of 664

well, just checked FLIP50, and sadly, since it's touted as AARP - i don't trust anything they support or recommend, so i'll just (hopefully) shovel snow, run up and down the steps, garden in the spring, and feel energized not get ripped off by AARP again!    

valerieb
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Silver Sneakers being dropped by AARP recommended insurer

Message 132 of 664

sure has been great reading all of the responses to this.      haven't called yet to get the 'secret code' or whatever it is to replace the silver sneakers here in ohio.     and just saw someone mentioned flip50.     never heard of that but will check it out.      the whole thing is ridiculous and has anyone noticed all of the AARP commercials on TV?     no wonder since so many of us aren't renewing!!

valerieb
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Silver Sneakers being droped by AARP recommended insurer

Message 133 of 664

I am angry at United Health Insurace medigap program. I really enjoyed using Silver Sneakers membership of accessing different facilities and classes for my health program. Water aerobic at one site, Zumba at another, and gym time at even a third site.  I think the Silver Sneakers news letter, website, and health information is excellent, top-notch.   I am still receiving their newsletter by email.  So, please consider requesting the e-newsletter on the Silver Sneakers website even if your health insurance provider has stopped allowing you to use Silver Sneakers.  

I also reviewed the new program that United Health is now using.   In my estimation, the website is sorely lacking and the information provided is very minimal.  Shame. 

I know that there is a cost for every service program that the insurer utilizes.  Yes, there is a cost for the call-in that United is now using. But for seniors, it is a real health advantage to be able to access the various exercise classes.  

For me, I will be exercising less because access now to those various classes are financially out of reach. 

I will be looking for a new gap insurance at end of 2019.  Shame on United Health!! 

For AARP,  concentrate on including La Fitness into you current Flip50 benefit.  I would pay the low monthy cost to be able to access all those facilities that visited in 2018.  

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 134 of 664

Yep.  Searched for Renew Active and found the following on their website:

In 2019, Renew Active will be available to members of certain eligible plans in the states of AZ, CA, CT, FL, IA, IL, IN, KS, KY, MN, MO, NC, NE, NJ, NV, NY, OH, OK, OR, TX, UT, WA, and WI.

2. Who can use the program?
Plan members of an eligible Medicare Advantage Plan insured by UnitedHealthcare Insurance Company in participating states can use this program.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 135 of 664

Indiana dropped Silver Sneakers for all plans.  The Flip50 may be the way to go.  Would be even better if LA Fitness joined this also.  I use both the Y & La Fitness.  

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 136 of 664

Sorry - the link to the article from NPR did not work as expected.  Let's try this one:

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2018/12/04/673249571/unitedhealthcare-customers-are-unhapp...

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 137 of 664

Though a little dated (December '18) here's a link to an article about just this topic: https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2018/12/04/673249571/unitedhealthcare-customers-are-unhap...

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 138 of 664

A few UHC plans still have the Silver Sneakers, but the Advantage and Supplemental have been dropped. 

I talked with Silver Sneakers and the representative estimated that the cost to the insurance company was $20-$25 dollars per month per member. I'm sure the new plan must cost at least $1.19 per month. So if they loose enough people, their greed will be appropriately rewarded. 

Send the only message that UHC will understand - get a new policy with a different insurance company.

dcobb
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 139 of 664

Silver sneakers called me, and I had already gotten the green light from my gym that everything was a missunderstanding and I could go back to the gym, which I did yesterday.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 140 of 664

Is SilverSneakers giving a grace period.  I could still use the SilverSneakers at la fitness’ in California when are they going to cut us off

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season

Top Authors