Looking for work? The U.S. Census Bureau is hiring more than 500,000 people nationwide. Learn more.

Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Silver Sneakers being droped by AARP recommended insurer

Message 331 of 651

It is best to contact an agent. I am able to switch to Cigna Total Choice Supplemental without underwriting. It might depend on the State you are in.  

You should fill fill out a complaint form Tom the Medicare website and also write to your state insurance commission. 

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 332 of 651

When I purchased the AARP Plan during my open enrollment period, I relied on two factors, the Silver Seakers program and the ability to change plans without medical underwriting. Recently, and without notice, AARP deleted both factors (requiring medical underwriting on Plan G). I would switch to a different provider too, but because of a surgery earlier this year, I am effectively locked into my current AARP/UH Plan even though it is more than $300 per year more expensive than a couple other Plans that do provide the Silver Sneakers benefit. I feel that I am a victim of a bait and switch strategy. I am sure that I am not alone. Does anyone know of any governmental agency investigating this? Alternatively, if anyone knows that I could switch to Anthem or Cigna without medical underwriting, please let me know.   

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 333 of 651

Also dropping UHC due to their decision to not offer Silver Sneakers as an added perk.  Switching to Cigna Total Choice which includes Silver Fit, is accepted at our local Rec Center, and the premium is actually less for the same coverage and does not require underwriting.  I would have happily stayed with UHC and not even checked other options if UHC had not eliminated Silver Sneakers from their Supplemental policies.  I was with them for 4 years.   I am in Wisconsin.  Also found a less expensive Part D - WellCare for $14 per month versus Humana for $26.40 per month.  All in all, quite a savings.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 334 of 651

My wife and I are  dropping UHC F and going with Aetna G and a different Part D with UHC.  Although there is no Silver Sneakers, we save so much money that we save over $3,000 annually even with the gym expenses and Part B deductable added.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 335 of 651

Bye bye, UHC.  Going to Humana, changing plan to G from F, saving money AND keeping Silver Sneakers. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 336 of 651

I was told that it is a state by state change but CT is out and so am I.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 337 of 651

Good bye United Healthcare.  You drop my benefits and increase my costs and you will not have my business.  My gym membership is $40/month which means my costs are going up by 25% just with this change.  I have had United Healthcare coverage for many years through my employers and enjoyed my suplemental policy very much.  I hate to leave this company but they have forced my hand.  I hope your loss of members is worth it United Healthcare!!!

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Silver Sneakers being dropped by AARP recommended insurer

Message 338 of 651

@wonsettler wrote:

Is not a plan G identical to plan F except they don't pay the Part D deductable? And the part G premiums are low enough to easily cover that deductable plus some?

Medigap Plan F is the same as Medigap Plan G except that under Plan G you have to pay out of pocket the Medicare Part B Deductible - $ 183 for 2018 and I think it is going to $ 185 in 2019.

And a few other things are different too - excess doctor charges, some foreign coverage - Plan F is the cadillac - 1st dollar coverage.

Chicago Tribune 09/10/2017 - Why seniors should choose wisely when selecting Medigap supplement insu...

As to the premiums for Plan G ( Medicare has "Parts" - Medigap coverage is by "Plans") -

The expense of the premiums is based on how they are rated initially, when you first sign up and how they rise afterward - and I guess the size of your pocketbook.

Medigap coverage is ONLY GAP insurance that works with traditional Medicare.

Only about 25% of seniors on traditional Medicare have a Medigap or supplemental plan.

Some have extra help because they are low income and others even lower income have Medicare and Medicaid.  Some beneficiaries just pay their Medicare 20% of the cost out of their pocket and try to keep their care cost low.

Others, about 30% (and growing) of all beneficiaries, use a Medicare Advantage plan to get their Medicare benefits. 

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 339 of 651

"Yes" to the first part of your question; and  "usually" to the second part.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 340 of 651

Is not a plan G identical to plan F except they don't pay the Part D deductable? And the part G premiums are low enough to easily cover that deductable plus some?

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season

Top Authors