Attend AARP's Job Search in the Digital Age Online Workshop, Thursday at 7 p.m. ET. Register Now

Info Seeker

Re: Silver Sneakers One size does not Fit All

Message 21 of 67 (1,952 Views)

Of course United Health Care does not have to continue the Silver Sneakers benefit. But, I see Humana is still including it at least in some of their plans. 

Bronze Conversationalist

[ Edited ]
Message 22 of 67 (1,942 Views)

The simple answer:
Silver Sneakers is a perk from United Health Care probably from way back as a sales tool. Just as your coverage has nothing to due with AARP, neither does SS. It is in the fine print somewhere that they don't have to continue providing these added benefits.  There is really nothing that we can do as it appears that UHC is stopping SS on all their plans not just our J plan.  What do we do, threaten to cancel a plan that they undoubtedly want to get read of anyway.  Time to move on.

Highlighted
Info Seeker

[ Edited ]
Message 23 of 67 (1,969 Views)

RE: AARP dropping Silver ZZSneakers 1/1/18:

Yes, and when I called about it the rep gave me false information.

She claimed Silver Sneakers is no longer offered in Texas as if it is dropped on the Silver Sneakers end. It is actually AARP / UHC cutting benefits.

I am very disappointed and looking at other options.

Conversationalist

Message 24 of 67 (1,990 Views)

Not after 1/1/2018. UHC dropped them nation wide.

Conversationalist

Message 25 of 67 (1,889 Views)

Try contacting SS:

GENERAL SILVERSNEAKERS PHONE NUMBER

If you are a member or want to see if you are eligible:
Call toll-free: 866-584-7389, Monday – Friday, 8 a.m. – 8 p.m. EST. TTY: 711
E-mail: support@silversneakers.com

Conversationalist

Message 26 of 67 (1,876 Views)

Silver Sneakers is a third party program that UHC added to their products at "no extra cost." It is unralated to the standardized package for Medicare benefits under any of the options, A through J.

UHC has decided to drop Silver Sneakers because it costs them money each time on of us uses it and we subscribers to their plan used this benefit more than they anticipated. You will recieve a letter advising that it is "being replaced by a variety of new services" which is marketing speak for you will get many fewer options and benefits for a much higher total price!  

Valued Social Butterfly

[ Edited ]
Message 27 of 67 (9,203 Views)

nelsonds60 wrote:

I believe I have been ripped off by AARP UHC and have been unable to contact anyone who can provide any sort of answer other than to refer/transfer  me to someone else Click dial tone.  I've tried writing to UHC and never have received a reply

PROBLEM:   I have had Medicare Supp Plan J (grandfathered in now no longer offered) since 2006

I have a letter from  AARP noting that no changes will be made in the plan in spite of the fact it is no longer offered

Prior to this year AARP paid for Silver Sneaker now, months belatedly the facility I attended has informed my the UHC no longer pays for Silver Sneakers in the State of Florida

I have had no long via phone nor mail with UHC Silver Sneakers or AARP  No one has a relevant Email address. 

Any help or advise short of hiring a lawyer which is cost prohibitive will be appreciated

Wow, can't believe you still have a Medigap Plan J since there have been no sales of that plan since mid 2010.  I bet the premiums are pretty expensive now.

My mother was on it and I elected to keep her on it until her death a few years later; even way back then, premiums were escalating.

Anyway, to answer your question about the Silver Sneakers -

Medicare actually defines the set benefits under each of the Supplemental (Medigap) plans. Then the states determine how premiums are set and they regulate the plans.

The Medicare set benefits for Plan J did not include anything about the Silver Sneakers program - that must have been a benefit added by the insurer to perhaps get your business.

The only thing that Medicare has anything to do with is the set benefits.

The insurer has to cover those set benefits as long as you elect to keep the Plan J.  But they don't have to cover the Silver Sneakers added benefit to comply with Medicare rules of coverage.

You might question this at the state level - the office of insurance; I doubt that the SHIP office would be able to help you - just contact the Dept of Insurance in your state; they might can tell you if there is any state recourse.

With that said, if your premiums have escalated since the demise of Plan J bringing in new clients, maybe you should look around for a different plan if the medical underwriting in your state is not too bad for you, if applicable.

Plan F would probably be the closest to Plan J in benefits but Plan F is scheduled to go away soon too, I think, 2020.  Don't know if Plan F is still being sold.

Here is blog post discussing Plan J, what the Medicare set benefits are/were and how this has changed with new rules from the ACA (Obamacare) on preventive care.  I do not know when this biog post was written and it is by no means an endorsement because you have to decide on that coverage and from whom.

The blog post just has some good descriptive information.

Medicare Supplement Plan J - Liberty Medicare Blog

Hope something here help you.

Info Seeker

Message 28 of 67 (9,174 Views)

I believe I have been ripped off by AARP UHC and have been unable to contact anyone who can provide any sort of answer other than to refer/transfer  me to someone else Click dial tone.  I've tried writing to UHC and never have received a reply

PROBLEM:   I have had Medicare Supp Plan J (grandfathered in now no longer offered) since 2006

I have a letter from  AARP noting that no changes will be made in the plan in spite of the fact it is no longer offered

Prior to this year AARP paid for Silver Sneaker now, months belatedly the facility I attended has informed my the UHC no longer pays for Silver Sneakers in the State of Florida

I have had no long via phone nor mail with UHC Silver Sneakers or AARP  No one has a relevant Email address. 

Any help or advise short of hiring a lawyer which is cost prohibitive will be appreciated

Info Seeker

Message 29 of 67 (12,267 Views)
But not for long!
Info Seeker

Message 30 of 67 (12,253 Views)

This site is horrible. I think it's designed to keep us from submitting feedback.

Last June I learned that my YMCA would start charging me again in January 2017. I was told United Healthcare and YMCAs nationwide had agreed to start charging Silver Sneakers members 50 percent, starting in 2017.