Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Medicare Transition from Quarterly Billing to Monthly SS Auto-Deduction

Contributor

Medicare Transition from Quarterly Billing to Monthly SS Auto-Deduction

I saw some dialogue in a previous post regarding this subject.

It looks like the potential exists for a double premium billing the 1st month that you receive social security benefits with the Part B premium auto-deducted.

I reach FRA this month and get my first check next month (July).

My last quarterly Medicare payment covers me thru the end of July.

My understanding of my benefit payment next month is that my SS benefit is paid in arrears.

But the Medicare premium deduction is in advance.

That means my June SS check I receive in July is paying for my July Medicare premium.

Am I understanding this correctly?

If so, it appears that would create a double premium payment for the month of July.

I'm sure I'm not the only one this has happened to and wonder if SS/Medicare addresses it.

Thanks.

Chuck

0 Kudos

Similar situation here. Paid Feb/Mar/April Medicare premiums directly. Social Security started March. They adjusted my SS payment to account for the paid March premium, but withheld April premium in check received May 25th. Did an online chat with Medicare and the rep informed me that refunds for premium overpayments are issued quarterly: March 1, June 1, Sept 1 and Dec 1, with checks arriving two weeks after that date. Since I haven't received a check yet (3 weeks out), most likely my refund won't happen until Sept.  So, depending on the timing, a refund could take 3 -4 months to happen. 

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

I just did this at the beginning of the year.  I paid my 3 months Medicare in December and started Social Security effective in January.  My first check for January was scheduled to be deposited late February so there was some confusion on when they would start taking out Medicare and for what month.  You are right though, the February Medicare payment came out of the January SS check deposited near the end of February for me.

I only had to pay out of pocket for January's Medicare.  I called to confirm the Feb deposited check would have the first Medicare payment removed for February's Medicare and they told me I would automatically receive a refund for the extra payments.  About 4-6 weeks after my first SS check, I received a US Treasury check in the mail for the 2 months refund for the February and March payments I'd made in December.  They also told me that if I didn't have the refund by the 8 week mark to call back.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Yes, it can happen - you will have to ask them for a refund IF they deduct it on your 1st benefit check in July (June benefit - July Medicare Part B premium)

There maybe a form but I don't know it - just call them.

For specific Medicare billing questions: Call us at 1-800-MEDICARE (1-800-633-4227). TTY: 1-877-486-2048.

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP