Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Medicare Enrollment When One Doesn't Qualify for Social Security

Periodic Contributor

Medicare Enrollment When One Doesn't Qualify for Social Security

I will turn 65 in January.  My Husband is 64, retired, but not receiving Social Security yet.  I am under his health plan from his former employer.  Am I not eligible for SS as I only have 34 QCs.  Am I still able to apply for Medicare and what will it cost me?

Social Butterfly

The best place to look for information is,

Welcome to Medicare | Medicare.

Periodic Contributor

Thank you so much.  I've been getting different answers from Medicare representatives.

Honored Social Butterfly

For Medicare:  As long as you have been married to this husband for a year, he is at least 62 years old and you are at least 65 years old, you can get Medicare under his work record.  You will have premium free Part A as long as he does.  You will have to pay a premium for Part B ($ 164. XX in 2023 ) unless the household has really low income and can apply for a Medicare Savings Program to help with the cost.  When he goes on Medicare, he will also have to pay the Part B premium.  Each of you will decide how to get your Medicare benefits - Traditional program or Medicare Advantage (Part C).

Can you stay on his employer retiree health plan?  Medicare actually works with other health insurance - in different ways depending upon the employer retiree plan - check with the retiree benefits coordinator.  

Medicare.gov - Retiree Insurance 

For Social Security benefits - you can't apply for a spousal benefit until he begins his own SS retirement benefit.  Once he does that - you can apply for spousal benefits based on his work record - 

SSA.gov - Benefits for Spouses

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
Periodic Contributor

11-19-2022 05:49 PM

I am about at my wits end.  I spoke to a Medicare rep today.  I told her I was turning 65 in January, 2023 but do not have enough QC to get Medicare on my own and I would be applying under my husband's work records.  He has worked 40+ years. I explained that my husband is 64, retired.  He will not be applying until October 2023 for his Medicare.  He also will not be receiving SS cash benefits until he is 66.  I was told that since my husband isn't on SS or Medicare, I am not eligible to apply for Medicare as a spouse under his work records.  Am I missing something?  I thought I would be eligible.

Honored Social Butterfly

You are applying for Medicare benefits using the WRONG government agency.

When 1st signing up - the Social Security Administration is the one that does all the signing up because they have to verify your information and issue you your Medicare card with the active dates of coverage for Part A & Part B.  

The SSA is also the agency that will set up your premium billings for Part B since you don't have a SS benefit yet from which they can deduct the premium.

Make sure they know that you are only signing up for Medicare.  You will not be eligible for SS spousal benefits until your hubby starts getting his SS retirement benefit.

Healthline.com - Medicare Coverage for Spouses

read this - it explains it in detail and what you should do -

Call the SSA 800-772-1213 - you can also try the eligibility calculator if it is working -

Anonymous
Not applicable

1 comment 👉 (NICOLE'S QUESTION) Hi @GailL1 , isn't there also a late penalty if we sign up late for Part B? Lol, I read so much, I am ready for my meltdown. I am already on Retirement Social Security and will be signing up 3 months before I turn 65. Thanks, Nicole 🙂

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

I answered @s512783m post here because it was a very specific situation.  It might be best to start another post if you have more questions. 

Yes, there is a late premium payment penalty for Part B if a beneficiary does not sign up for Part B when 1st eligible unless they have other credible coverage like through their employer until they officially retire under the SS system.

Since you are already receiving your (early) SS Retirement benefit, your Medicare sign up will be easy and painless - in fact, you will just get your card from them (automatically at 65)  and then your Part B premiums will begin to come out of your SS benefit.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Space Adventure Pinball and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP