Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Is Renew Active included with Medicare Supplement Plans

Is Renew Active included with Medicare Supplement Plans

No where can I find where this is specifically addressed so hopefully I can at least get some thoughts here.

I subscribe to a Medicare Supplement plan not a Medicare Advantage plan.I am entering my annual renewal phase and would consider changing to United Healthcare (but sticking with a supplement plan) specifically because United Healthcare touts additional benefits on their plan website that interest me. However, they do not specifically clarify under which plans these additional benefits are available.  Even my insurance agent has been unable to get a direct clarification.

So, here goes: Does United Healthcare include Renew Active benefits with Medicare Supplement plans or only with Medicare Advantage Plans.  

The url below for AARP Supplement plans indicates that Renew Active (and more) was included in 2021. I haven't discovered if it extends to today, 2023. I'll call the customer service number on my member card to find out the current status, and yes, the print at the bottom of the page does indicate these offers aren't insurance, and can be discontinued at any time.

https://www.aarpmedicaresupplement.com/content/dam/aarpmedicaresupplement/redesign/pdfs/value-added-... 

0 Kudos

Renew Active™. The gold standard in Medicare fitness programs for body and mind. With Renew Active you will receive a gym membership, an online brain health program and access to local health and wellness events. Renew Active is available at no additional cost, exclusively from UnitedHealthcare® Medicare Plans.

0 Kudos

Okay let get stated

0 Kudos
Contributor

I found this on aarp medicare plans website. I was interested in knowing too. 

Renew Active™ by UnitedHealthcare

^Availability of fitness program may vary by area. Fitness program network only includes participating facilities and locations.

You can only receive the Renew Active special membership rate if you are an insured member covered under an AARP Medicare Supplement Insurance Plan, insured by UnitedHealthcare Insurance Company. Renew Active includes standard fitness membership. Participation in the Renew Active program is voluntary. Consult your doctor prior to beginning an exercise program or making changes to your lifestyle or health care routine. Equipment and classes may vary by location.

0 Kudos
Conversationalist

Renew Active™. The gold standard in Medicare fitness programs for body and mind. With Renew Active you will receive a gym membership, an online brain health program and access to local health and wellness events.

Renew Active is available at no additional cost, exclusively from UnitedHealthcare® Medicare Plans.

https://uhcrenewactive.com/home

As @GailL1 this is a benefit that is not baked into your Medigap plan, but is similar to SilverSneakers.

Renew Active and Silver Sneakers can be discontinued by the carrier at any time.

I have never considered add-on benefits to be something to be valued when evaluating any kind of insurance plan.

Bark less. Wag more.
Periodic Contributor

I would have to disagree with your statement, "I have never considered add-on benefits to be something to be valued when evaluating any kind of insurance plan". 

If an add on benefit such as "Renew Active" is something you would use then it surely becomes part of the equation in evaluating various Supplemental Plans across different providers.  I just checked with my local YMCA and confirmed that having access to Renew Active via my AARP UH Supplemental Plan will give me full membership access at no cost to me.  That is a $44 monthly saving based on their Senior Rate for singles.  I'd say that is quite a savings and would definitely be a factor to many in their selection decision.

So in my opinion why look a gift horse in the mouth.  I do understand that such benefits can removed at any time.  But until then, it is quite a benefit that many will probably take advantage of.  Now I just need to get in better shape before I go out in public at the YMCA!  

Contributor

Couldn't agree with you more! Especially if you're already paying this membership fee (or about to sign up), you save the price of the membership right off the bat.  It's a valid point that the benefit can be taken away at any time (happened to me with Blue Cross Tivity Health - took the YMCA off their list), but while it's still there, it's a net $$ gain. 

Honored Social Butterfly

@DawnetaA417203 wrote:

So, here goes: Does United Healthcare include Renew Active benefits with Medicare Supplement plans or only with Medicare Advantage Plans.  

Can't answer your question specifically but I have a comment & a question which you can answer for yourself and perhaps answer your own question.

IF they do offer such a special service with their MEDIGAP plans - or even some of them - it will NOT be a benefit that is included in the actual policy design- the policy benefits are defined by Medicare for each of the Medigap plans.  It would be something special; extra and could cancle it at any time - READ THE SMALL PRINT and THE DISCLOSURES.

Maybe it is something that they think sets them apart of all the other insurers that offer the exact same Medigap plans for lower premiums.  It would be an incentive difference only.

So if they can cancel it at any time - would that be OK with you and the Medigap plan that you have picked for the long term?

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
0 Kudos
Contributor

I have a Plan F Medigap plan through AARP/UnitedHealthcare. I signed into my account and found Renew Active. I used the site to search for the gym I was using pre-COVID. I printed out a sheet with a code and my name that says: " You can bring this to any participating gym to get free access." I haven't tried that yet.

Periodic Contributor

Thank you for the best answer so far to what I thought was an easy question.  Is "Renew Active" part of UHC 2021 plans outside of Part C (Medicare Advantage). 

In my case Is it included with Part N?  It is not clearly stated on their website as it is for Part C (Medicare Advantage).  Sure it has to do with the push to get as many people as possible on an Advantage program to save money.   

Appreciate the point made by others that "Renew Active" can be "Canceled" at anytime.

I know it was over a year ago you were asking, but I am including text from the Plan N description.  I live in Brooklyn, and it may be different where you  live.

Under: Insured Member Discounts and Services

Fitness

A gym membership at a location near you, at no additional cost.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I purchased a AARP Medicare United Health Supplemental Plan G effective 7/1/2021.  Today I went down to my local YMCA as they were identified as a provider who participated in Renew Active.  I had no problem getting a membership at no cost to me.  I simply filled out their application, gave them my UH Membership Card and became a new member.  This is really a valued added benefit with no additional cost other than the monthly premium rate for the UH plan selected.  The monthly single senior rate at my YMCA was $44.  I know the Plan G I selected was specific for AARP members.  I'm guessing that their non-AARP Plan Gs offer the same Renew Active benefit.  

Regarding the statement that Renew Active can be cancelled at anytime, who really cares!  That is almost true of any organization or service provider.  Your Auto Insurance, Car Insurance, Club Memberships and on and on.  Simply cross that bridge if and when it ever happens.  Until then just enjoy the added benefit.  I didn't select the Plan G offered by UH because of Renew Active!

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP