Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Periodic Contributor

?Health Insurance Confusion?

If a person age 65 y o and older has not signed up for medicare thru the usa government or any other way can a person get health insurance thru healthcare gov?  Also must a person age 65 yo and older be signed up for medicare thru the usa government to be able to get aarp united healthcare medicare advantage?

There's not enough points in my work history for me to get medicare with either no cost premium monthly.  But some time ago in aarp I think I read that medicare Age Eligible people can choose either the federal healthcare gov federal health insurance marketplace or their state's healthcare marketplace if their state does not participate in the federal health insurance marketplace IF the person has NOT signed up thru the federal medicare website for medicare.

Maybe some body knows if any of this is true or false?  I think either the federal health insurance marketplace OR my state's health insurance marketplace (whichever of those will be available for my state depending on upcoming governor race winner) OR aarp medicare advantage I think will be good for me Instead Of medicare thru the federal government's medicare website.

Does any body. know if a person age 65 and older who has not signed up for medicare thru the usa government medicare website is allowed to get either federal or state health insurance marketplace health insurance instead of medicare thru the usa government medicare website?  or may be allowed to get aarp united healthcare medicare advantage if that does not require first for an applicant to be signed up for medicare thru the usa government medicare website?

Thank you for any thoughts, guidance, experience shared!!!!

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Would strongly suggest you talk to a local expert in your area on your problem. If you do not know one contact your local AARP as they should be able to give you some names.

There are many ways around so called rules so never rely on advice  that does not come from your area, and from someone who knows everything about your problem.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

You are in a pickle - I am assuming that if you don't have access to FREE Part A Medicare, you may not have enough for a Social Security benefit either.

Yes, I am pretty sure this is still the case, you can get an Obamacare (ACA) plan if you are 65 or over - BUT within the law there is a provision that there are NO tax credit subsidies available to people in this group - so you would have to pay for the whole ride and that would most likely be much higher in premiums and in cost of coverage (co-pays / deductibles / co-insurance) than paying for Medicare Part A, Part B and Part D.

KHN 06/25/2015 - When Turning 65, Consumers With Marketplace Plans Need To Be Vigilant In Choosing H... 

I am assuming that you are not poor  - Poor enough for SSI (Supplemental Security Income).

With SSI might come access to Medicaid.  

You need to make a decision because if you don't sign up for Medicare when 1st eligible and have no credible employer coverage to hold you over - then you will still get stuck with a Part B late signup penalty which last forever and gets higher the longer you wait to sign up.

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

I just want qualify what I said, VA Healthcare is not a replacement for Medicare, it's just that if you have to pay for a Medicare Part A and Part B & you can't afford a Medicare Supplemental plan to go with it, the VA will supplement.  Many Advantage plans have maximum out of pocket you must spend to get 100% coverage, VA, you don't have that, and VA also serves as a Medicare Part D as well, which I know is better than a Medicare Advantage plan has to offer.  Good luck!

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Conversationalist

@GailL1you are correct

If you have a Marketplace plan, you can keep it until your Medicare coverage starts. Find out how to end your Marketplace plan without penalty.

If you like, you can keep your Marketplace plan too. But once your Medicare Part A coverage starts, you’ll no longer be eligible for any premium tax credits or other cost savings you may be getting for your Marketplace plan. So you’d have to pay full price for the Marketplace plan.

https://www.healthcare.gov/medicare/changing-from-marketplace-to-medicare/

There is a trifecta of bad places to get advice on this topics.

One is hc.gov where your questions are fielded by $15/hour folks who are trained in how to read answers from a computer screen.

Another is volunteer organizations, like SHIP programs. Well intentioned folks who offer advice as a part-time hobby.

And then you have carriers and associations . . . where you call an 800 number, press 1 for English, leave a voice mail and wait for someone to call you back. You never talk to the same person twice and have no idea if that person is brand new or has been there 6 months.

Navigating the health care (or Medicare) maze is akin to Dante's Inferno  . . . "Abandon all hope, all ye who enter here"

Good, honest advice is out there but you must use your listening skills and trust your inner voice to guide you to someone who understands your issues and knows how to give good advice.

Bark less. Wag more.
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Here is an additional bad place to get advice on this topic. A form such as we take part in. The best place is local.

0 Kudos
Conversationalist

@individualmatter I don't believe there is anyway to get Obamacare coverage once you turn 65. I abandoned the under 65 market in 2010 when it became clear the future of health insurance was a failed business model.

Even if you CAN get such a plan it will most likely be cost prohibitive and have an exceedingly large OOP. Almost certain any taxpayer subsidies go away at age 65.

If you lack the number of qualifying SSA quarters you will incur a Part A premium.

https://www.medicare.gov/your-medicare-costs/medicare-costs-at-a-glance

If you missed your initial enrollment period for Medicare you can sign up during the GEP (General Election Period) during January - March, your Part B will be effective July 1, and you will pay a lifetime late enrollment penalty.

You must have both A & B before you can enroll in an Advantage or Medigap plan with any carrier

Bark less. Wag more.
0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Going by what you said, you didn't pay enough into the system to get a free Medicare Part A so it makes me think that you might qualify for Dual qualified for Medicare-Medicaid, check in with your local senior services in your county.  If you qualify, depending on your income and resources, you might also qualify for extra-help.  If you are past 65 and the initial 7-month enrollment period, I know there can be penalties that compound.  If you are a Veteran, you might considered applying for VA Healthcare benefits through va.gov.  Typically most counties have a Veteran's representative, so you could check there.  Currently, I have VA Healthcare, it's been great for me, especially with the introduction of the Mission Act.  So far I've been to by regular doctor, I was referred to a non-VA eye care facility, and I had my flu-shot at a local pharmacy.  Good luck!

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Bubble Shooter and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP