Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

28% increase in The Hartford auto insurance premiums

Contributor

28% increase in The Hartford auto insurance premiums

Over the past year we have had our auto insurance through AARP and the Hartford, paying $2,497 for two vehicles. It is renewal time and our Agent tells us that The Hartford has decided to increase their rates across the tri-county area in south Florida. Our renewal policy increased $690 annually. This, in spite of our clear driving record.

My agent also tells us that it is a strategy the company has taken to reduce risk. They know that X% will drop them and switch to another company. They also know that Y% will continue with them and pay the higher rate, offsetting the lost revenue. So the insurance company, in the end, is able to maintain revenue with a smaller customer base and thus reduce their exposure to risk. Great plan for the company unless the value of X turns out greater than expected.

Although I think the Hartford is a top notch company I am one of the X's and am switching to another well regarded company with similar coverage, including accident forgiveness, paying slightly less than I did in 2016.

I share this in the interest of increasing awareness and motivating AARP to address this with the company and, if that doesn't happen, possibly making "X" greater than anticipated for companies that do this.

Info Seeker

I had AARP car insurance for many years. I moved my two homes over to Hartford and saved some money but they turned around and increased my car insurance by 249$ a year which was just about what I had saved on homeowners policy. Since then I have had several issues with them to include not being able to access all my policies on line. 

0 Kudos
Contributor

Today, paid the AARP Hartford insurance premium more than a month early - even with the approximate 35% price increase.  Not sure if the premium increase is high, low or about average compared to other auto insurance company recent premium price decisions.  Guess and hope since this affects seniors it's somewhere in the middle.  As a senior citizen guess this is part of the aging program.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Shop around, their prices are an obscenity. Even after you paid it now, shop. You will get your money back if you cancel.  Do not accept this is what happens to seniors as an excuse.

Periodic Contributor

Clearly the relationship between AARP and Hartford is financial. AARP has shown they have no interest in their membership in this relationship. Dump Hartford. I did so years ago and saved thousands of dollars.

Contributor

And who did you go with for savings!

0 Kudos
Contributor

p.s.  I live in a senior community about a dozen miles from the nearest retail.  Most resident drive golf-carts within the senior community.  Very low vehicle traffic - most seem to be delivery and home services vehicles.  Clean driving record and only drive about 1500 - 2000 miles per years.  Insurance cost per mile seems to be multiple times the even current high price for gas.

I received my renewal from Hartford, 40% increase, no accidents or tickets. I just got a quote from Geico, around the same price I was paying last year. Good bye Hartford!!!

Kudos
Views
Contributor

Same exact thing with me! Thanks for the tip regarding Geico. Can't believe that my premium is $600 more a year. I have no accidents or tickets. They've become greedy!

I just got a quote from the Hartford in the mail for $4500/year for a 2019 Ford Fiesta. I'm currently paying $1900/year. What's going on with them? Absolutely outragious!

They kick back a large percentage to the AARP.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Yikes! I'm keeping my old car. I just switched both home and car insurance to another company and saved quite a bit. It's not fair to be increased because of other drivers on the road. In NY, the state now allows undocumented aliens to get a license! This could be one reason costs soar.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@Patilla wrote:

. . . . .  It's not fair to be increased because of other drivers on the road. In NY, the state now allows undocumented aliens to get a license! This could be one reason costs soar.

It isn't just "other drivers" - the cost of new cars today is upwards of $ 40,000 - with all the tech stuff added, even more.  What if your older car hits one of them - your insurance pays/

To insure what you may have against a liability claim, cost a lot.  Many people are underinsured; others maybe uninsured.  If they hit you and don't have money to pay (Uninsured) or don't have enough to pay your claim (Under-insured) - then your coverage pays under Uninsured / Underinsured Motorist.

Wonder how much our rates will go up when and if driverless cars are added to our highways en masse - wonder what their insurance will be like?

It does pay to shop around every few years but make sure the comparison is apples to apples.

I read the other day on some insurer website that just like the young are hit with higher rates because of their age, there seems to be another escalation in premiums at 75 years of age.

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Good thoughts, but it's still hard for seniors to keep up with increases on everything. Pretty soon we won't be able to drive, have extra health care or medigap, keep our internet, phones, and TV. Not good.

Periodic Contributor

We live in Georgia.  Hartford hit us with 26% increase in 2018 on our auto policy.  They came back with a 13% increase  this year (2019).  Same old drivers with the same old cars.  No tickets and no accidents. They say they are giving us a discount for taking an online driver's training course every so many years.  But they are not clear about how much that is.

They boast about big discounts if we bundled car and house.  Ran an online house quote without telling them we had car insurance with them.  Price for house wasn't bad but wasn't cheap either.  Okay what is price if we bundle.  Called them up and tried to get a bundled price ... total now was zero savings but they said bundled was going to save over $500 per year.  Looking closer could see they were going to rewrite the auto policy with a newer version that put the auto up $500 ... bundle and now auto would be reduced the $500 they just bumped it up.  House price was unchanged by bundling. with auto.   So much for bundling.  Keeping our house insurance with someone else.  Will bite bullet one more year on the auto.  Price shopping next year for sure.

Kudos
Views
Periodic Contributor

The relationship between AARP and Hartford is a farce if there is an implied savings to seniors. I have the feeling this relationship is purely financial and has nothing to do with helping seniors get quality insurance for less.

Recently my insurance jumped because of rate increases in California. It was 6 months after I joined and it jumped over 25%. No bait and switch there?  Then I got a new car and my rates in total have now gone up over $700 and I have a perfect driving record.

My neighbor recently got a ticket and his rates went up by 60%. I looked online to see what the average increase might be and it ranges from 12 to 34%. It seems Hartford is no friend to seniors and AARP is no friend either if this is the best they can do. Stear clear of Hartford, I do not trust them.

Periodic Contributor

I just got a much better quote from a local agent with another insurer. I called The Hartford/AARP about the huge increase and they couldn't do anything for me, so toodle-loo!

Periodic Contributor

No kidding. I just got my bill - on a Sat. - when I couldn't reach them. It went up over $100! How do they expect to continue bleeding seniors until they can't eat anymore? Are they part of the Illuminati agenda?

Contributor

My daughter works as a Senior customer service representative for a very large insurance company. Her advice to everyone complaining about the big increase in rates......get quotes from other companies and switch. The company does not care how loyal you have been or that you have no accidents. The longer you are with the same company the higher your rates will go. That is just the way insurance companies operate. Go online and find a new insurance company with lower rates. Their are plenty of them out there! It also doesn't do any good to call and complain because it's all about profit not customer loyalty. This may sound mean but it's just the way of our country. 

Contributor

BTW,,.. My Hartford insurance keeps going up every single statement, which is every 6 months. Don't dare call them up for any advice on any possible insurance claims. they will ding you, and it will be on your record. I have experienced this first hand. 

0 Kudos
Contributor

We've been AARP Hartford Customers for over 10 years (Trumball Insurance Company) and have combined our homeowners policy with the automobiles. All insured have had no automotive tickets, or claims in the past 5 years. We've also all completed the AARP safe driving course.

The statement I just received resulted in an increase of 38% and 29% on two separate vehicles.

After a number of phone calls to get a clear understanding of why the increase was so significant, I received two different answers. One CS rep said it was because there was an incident 9 months previous where another driver ran into the back of our truck while we were stopped, the other driver was ticketed and their insurance covered all. Get this, the CS rep said because there was an incident (regardless of who was at fault) it was "likely" that we would have another incident in the future !!  The other answer I got was that the rates in the great state of Illinois and cost of new cars was driving the prices up (my newest car is 11 years old).

Unfortunately my guess is that the logic of the increase is more likely related to their inability to manage their overhead costs with with a declining customer base.  

Honored Social Butterfly

@moush1 wrote:

The other answer I got was that the rates in the great state of Illinois and cost of new cars was driving the prices up (my newest car is 11 years old).

The answer you got WAS NOT talking about YOUR CAR - they were talking about the cost of the cars of others on the road being so high.  If you hit somebody else while driving your 11 year old car - that is a price they know and cover in your collision coverage; the price of the other persons car has to be in the equation and that could be mucho bucks.  The area where you live (zip code) and drive plays a big part too - number of uninsured/underinsured drivers, the amount of traffic, cost of cars being driven in the area, to name a few.

How do you think "insurance" works? 

• Shop your coverage with other insurers - loyalty gets you no-where
  • remove collision and/or comprehensive if the car is old enough to have low value and this fits your finances for a replacement
  • go up on your deductible(s) - don't file a claim for small stuff
  • take the safe driving course - saves a few bucks
  • check the miles you dirve to see if you qualify for low mileage rate.
  • authorize the insurer to place a safe driving device to your car, if available, that records certain driving actions and the readings warrant a discount
  • pay your premiums by the less expensive manner - usually yearly
  • have a great credit score
  • take advantage of multi-insurance coverage discounts - home / auto / umbrella coverage at the same insurer.

Just a few things off the top of my head - just make sure that you are insured with adequate coverage - property and liability and don't get any tickets or have an accident -

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
Kudos
Views
Periodic Contributor

Don't Feel So Bad Here In Las Vegas, NV. The Hartford Auto Insurance Premiums And Home  Insurance Premiums Rate Increase... I Got Home And Auto Quotes From Other Insurance Companies.  Hartford Insurance Premiums Was Lower. Even With A Clean Driving Record. 

After Years With Hartford Auto And Home Insurance Premiums I Flied Just One Claim With Hartford Home Insurance, Hartford Send "To Me" Some Of The Worst Construction Companies Here In Las Vegas. I Called Hartford To Complaint And For Help All I Got From Hartford  DEAF EARS.!!!!!  

Contributor

Yeah, we do all the right things, abide by the law, help our family, friends, and neighbors, and then get punished by greedy corporations. Last yearโ€™s tax cuts saved corporations billions of dollars, it saved high earning executives millions to hundreds of thousands of dollars. I got a 6-month early pay increase of 3%, which amounts to about $45 a month. And I got less money back from my 2918 taxes, while my state increased. Sure, I made a tiny amount more during the year, that is without knowing I would owe more at the end of the year.

0 Kudos

I am in New Jersey and the past two years Hartford has quoted us 50% higher than any other 

carrier... in some case 100%... as with everyone else we are seniors and our driving records are

good... don't tell me i am paying for everyone else when other companies can insure for less.

I believe Hartford is taking advantage of their loyal base and other seniors who are not as 

diligent on getting other prices.  I am also tired of receiving AARP flyers stating that their partners

will save them big time over other carriers, Allstate, Geico, etc... this is about kickbacks and nothing more with the Hartford.  (p.s. I do have AARP prescription plans)

fyi, 

2018-19 CAR INSURANCE PREMIUM UP 7% from last year

60yr old man, no accidents, perfect license, Drive 7000 miles or LESS per year

2002 Kia Sedona   NO Collision coverage.

LAST YEAR 11-01-2017 thru 11-01-2018  $843.00  

THIS YEAR  11-01-2018 thru 11-01-2019   $903.00  So my cost increase is $60.00 this year. or 7 percent and that is mostly $49.00 of it on Bodily injury liability which went up from 344. to 393.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I've had the same auto insurance coverage for last two years, no accidents or tickets, yet my premium increased by 40.4% in those two years. In the last year alone, it increased by 27.5 %. 

AARP should stop recommending Hartford, they are a rip-off!!

0 Kudos

We're in the same boat. For those of you who switched companies, which ones did you go with?

0 Kudos

We just got hit with a 50% increase for 2023 in our Hartford Auto Policyโ€ฆ Speechless that they are doing this to Seniors with a safe driving record and without traffic citationsโ€ฆ so disappointed with this callous actionโ€ฆ weโ€™re looking elsewhere!

Contributor

mercury insurance, saved us $800/yr

Contributor

Yes the first increase 125.00 to 170.00 is when I left. I paid 135.00 and it just increased to 146.00. 

I use Esurance.

with all the flooding, hail from storms, fires and earthquakes. Iโ€™m surprised it didnโ€™t go higher than 28%. 

I donโ€™t know how retirees are going to be able to afford to drive.

i just checked a few insurance companies for quotes and decided to stay where Iโ€™m at. I was shocked at the prices. My little bump was nothing.

Good Luck

cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipedeยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP