Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

What Do You Think is the Most Romantic Movie Ever?

Social Butterfly

What Do You Think is the Most Romantic Movie Ever?

I know it's the day after Valentines but what the heck. What movie do you feel is the perfect romance and why? I would have to say "Gone With the Wind". Funny because it was my mother's favorite too. I remember as a teen she took me to see it for the first time. Of course it didn't really do too much for me then. She also passed the book on to me. That was much better and after a few years I saw the movie again and now I understood the characters.

Pity crushing on Leslie Howard and Clark Gable when they've been gone for so long. But Clark Gable stood the test of time. Even compared to sex symbols of the present day...Clark as Rhett Butler, MWWWRRRROWWR. The thing I love about this movie besides the stars is it was the way great movies used to be. No shades of gray or people being crazed weasels. They left things to the audiences imagination.

Like when Rhett hauls Scarlett up that staircase, you just know the house was a rockin', they didn't have to be graphic. Scarlett all happy the next morning said it all. Yes the portrayal of blacks in this movie is an abomination...But just concentrating on Rhett and Scarlett...Oh and IMHO he does ultimately go back to her. They knew each other too well. He probably goes to town and Belle Watling talks him into going home.

So whats your favorite romance?

I think any movie could be thought of as "romantic," if you are with the right person!

Regular Social Butterfly

For me, any of the "A Star is Born" movies.

Having watched all 4 versions, my favorite is the 1954 Judy Garland and James Mason version (thanks TCM).

All are wonderful, and I think the Barbra Striesand and Kris Kristofferson soundtrack is tops, Lady Gaga's acting and lyrics are amazing in the most recent version! (I'm sorry the on screen romance evolved into gossip fodder, and sad for relationships lost to that.)

I did post offended by Producer/Directtor Bradley Cooper's ending to his version; I completely disapprove of his inference the star committed suicide by hanging, in light of losing so many talented people in the last few years reported using that method.

But, back to the subject, these are the most romantic movies in my experience; all seem to delve into the human condition artfully and truthfully.

#VegasStrong

#VegasStrong
Phil Harris, actor and showman, to John Fogerty of CCR: “If I’d known I’d live this long, I’d have taken better care of myself.”
Social Butterfly

My choices were made b4 I was born(1958 I'm 61)

I love the classics

"An affair to remember"

Cary Grant & Deborah Kerr

I've seen 100's of times & that moment he realizes & walks into room to find his painting I still cry & my heart aches 

"Portrait of Jenny"

Jennifer Jones & Joseph Cotton

Read this book in school loved it so much finally found movie(black&white)to watch My mom purchased a VCR tape of it for $50 one Christmas she knew how much I loved it.... Though the story would lead you to believe was a story I've always chosen to believe it really happened

I love many more lots of favs these 2 will always stand out for me 

Check em out if haven't seen 

Ginger :  )

Regular Contributor

Hi Ginger, loved Affair to Remember also.  Enjoyed your post.  Betty

Love these films, too.

Contributor

Serendipity,  absolutely. 

Conversationalist

Many excellent and truly romantic movies have been suggested here. Probably very few of the posters are old enough to have seen the 1937 MGM film "Maytime." I'm not quite old enough myself to have seen it in a theater. But I have seen it, and to me it is far and away the most romantic movie of all time. It can be seen on YouTube. It stars Jeanette MacDonald, Nelson Eddy, and John Barrymore. It is a musical. It's black and white, which is too bad because Jeanette in color is incredibly beautiful.
Kudos
Views
Periodic Contributor

I'll have to see "Maytime", since my vote, "Rose Marie", also starred Nelson Eddy and Jeanette MacDonald.

Contributor

There are two. THE LAKE HOUSE and THE NOTEBOOK. I cry every time I watch them.

The notebook. true story of llifetime of ove and devotion

Shelly Hosselton
Bronze Conversationalist

I've seen some pretty great romantic movies in my time ("...somewhere in my youth or childhood, I must have done something good") and I would find it hard to pin it down to just one. I saw some great titles listed here, but I would suggest one more that probably nobody else in the world would list for a romantic movie: "The Bible...In the Beginning" (1966).

Okay. I admit the movie itself might not have been all that great for romance, but the first time I saw it, I was sitting in the back row of a theater balcony making out with a very lovely young lady I was dating at the time. Making out (kissing and hugging) was as far as we ever went in the several months we dated. Yet, I carried a torch for years after we went our separate ways and I still look back on those days, and her, as very special in my life.

The memories are probably greater than reality.
Enjoy!

Periodic Contributor

An Affair to remember.

Contributor

Franco Zeffirelli's Romeo and Juliet--beautiful script, perfectly casted, superb acting, gorgeously filmed, lush deeply-moving musical score.  A timeless classic--as fresh today as when it was released in the late 1960s.

Contributor

The Notebook! 

Regular Contributor

Yes....Yes forgot about that one!!!
Regular Contributor

Well, it may not be the most romantic of all but it should be on the list....Nicole Kidmam is fantastic and to gather (co-star) I think (Jason Statham) light up the screen in "Australia"!!!!

Periodic Contributor

The Notebook

Regular Contributor

An Affair to Remember starring Cary Grant and Deborah Kerr.  I saw this movie probably about 40 years ago by myself in a movie theater on a Saturday afternoon after shopping.  Cary Grant is undoubtedly the most handsome man I've ever seen and that British accent probably the most sophisticated ever.  Deborah Kerr was so beautiful and that last scene when they finally meet again after her accident.  I just get chills writing this as I remember.  I bought the movie on video and watch it often.  Yes, there hasn't been a more romantic movie made since.

Contributor

I think the most romantic movie ever is "Pride and Prejudice" with Keira Knightley ('Lizzie') and Matthew Macfadyen (Mr Darcy). I absolutely love this movie!

Breakfast At Tiffany's is my favorite romantic movie. Audrey Hepburn is my favorite actress.

Contributor

I don't have just one....impossible to choose:

When Harry Met Sally,

You've Got Mail,

The Way We Were,

Out of Africa,

Casablanca,

The Desk Set,

Teacher's Pet and MANY MORE

Periodic Contributor

Gone with the Wind

Periodic Contributor

Somewhere In Time 

Contributor

Only You

With Robert Downy Jr

and  Marisa Tomei

I just love that movie it’s an adventure and a fun love story....

Kudos
Views
Contributor

Out of Africa with Robert Redford and Meryl Streep

Contributor

Gone with the Wind

Contributor

Somewhere In Time..........

Somewhere inTime with Christopher Reeve.  A little known work of his, is a time travel movie where he falls in love in one  time and searches in another time.  The music is simply piano and is fantastic.  

Regular Contributor

I forgot Somewhere in Time. Great movie. The best.
Honored Social Butterfly

It's tough to pick just one! 

Charade - Cary Grant & Audrey Hepburn (romantic comedy)

Casablanca - Humphrey Bogart & Ingrid Bergman (romantic drama) which happens to be my favorite movie of all time.

“When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.” - Jimi Hendrix
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP