Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Flashback to the best movies from the 80s

Retired Community Manager

Flashback to the best movies from the 80s

The 80s had the (right) stuff, from The Empire Strikes Back to Do the Right Thing. Share your memories of watching these classics and others for the first time. (Read the article here.)

Kudos
Views
Replies
Bronze Conversationalist

So many movies to reminisce about, so I'll pay tribute to a director and musical composer who is still kicking it.

John Carpenter - wrote and directed numerous sci-fi/ horror 'cult classic' films plus memorable musical scores thru out the 70's-80's onward.

----->  John Carpenter - Wikipedia

Plus he composed various 'cult classic' musical film scores ----> MUSIC – The Official John Carpenter

😎    “I have moments.”
― Napoleon Wilson in John Carpenter's ASSAULT ON PRECINCT 13.     (1976)

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

There were so many great films from the 1980’s. The Shining is one of my all time favorites. The Star Wars and Indiana Jones flicks also rate high on my list. I would add these favorites to the list . . .

Die Hard, 1988 

Lethal Weapon, 1987 

Wall Street, 1987

Steel Magnolias, 1989

Rain Man, 1988

An Officer and A Gentleman, 1982

Batman, 1989

Top Gun, 1986

War Games, 1982

Airplane, 1980 (one of the best of the spoof movies)

And the James Bond films of the 80’s with Roger Moore were delightful!

For Your Eyes Only, 1981

Octopussy, 1983

View To A Kill,1985

And Sean Connery’s last Bond Film . . .

Never Say Never Again, 1983

“When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.” - Jimi Hendrix
0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

Midnight Run (Robert De Niro, Charles Grodin, Yaphet Kotto, John Ashton) 1988

0 Kudos

The Little Mermaid. for sure!

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

@AARPLynne wrote:

The 80s had the (right) stuff, from The Empire Strikes Back to Do the Right Thing. Share your memories of watching these classics and others for the first time. (Read the article here.)

💥 @AARPLynne , 9 to 5 and Dirty Dancing. Interesting post! 💥

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

I have to start with Caddyshack, then Revenge of the Nerds, The Terminator, Superman 2,

Sudden Impact, Pale Rider, any James Bond flick, and best of all, The Breakfast Club. I could watch these movies anytime.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

I agree with all those.

Last night watched a movie about 8

years old with James Franco, called Flyboys. Had wonderful 1918 scenes, ladies clothing of the era,

etc. James Franco was in it, and did not watch it with him Ha Ha

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

About World War One and France.😊

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

You pretty much nailed my favorites with Caddyshack and Revenge of the Nerds. I thought Top Secret was a hilariously underrated movei too. 

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

Steve the @postman29 Still haven't seen the original Terminator.  After seeing Robocop in my early 20's, I get a little freaked out by the whole concept of cyborgs.  There's something about  part human part machine.  I was ok with Robert Downey in the Iron Man movies. ---  Christine the limericker 

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

Christine, Robocop was pretty good but the Terminator movies are great. True story- after Linda Hamilton was in that and Beauty and the Beast whenever my wife and I went to Vegas, Atlantic City, and Orlando for letter carrier conventions in the early 90's we had waitresses, hotel workers, and strangers asking my wife if she was Linda Hamilton. It was so funny. They probably would have compted us lol but we were honest and said nope. At least no one asked me if I was the Beast thankfully! 

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

Steve the @postman29 , Wow, your wife must be quite striking!  Hey, remember, the beast turns into the handsome prince. Impressed with the two of you sticking to your guns and being honest.   --  Christine the limericker

Kudos
Views
Social Butterfly

Hi @AARPLynne  Great question, love movies.   "The Princes Bride", "When Harry Met Sally",

"Moonstruck" and  "The Big Chill".

Hard to pick favorite one,

wait I know, most fun.

"Inconceivable",

it's believable.

"The Princess Bride", I'm done.        ---  Christine

0 Kudos
Silver Conversationalist

@CynthiaM199997 @AARPLynne 

My favorite from this list has got to be “The Breakfast Club”. 

Contributor

The Color Purple. At this point I have watched it at least 100 times. I really miss going to the movies.

Social Butterfly

Hi @CynthiaM199997  "The Color Purple" is definitely one of my favs too.   ---  Christine

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

WOW the 80's movies. I loved Indiana Jones and Raiders of the Lost Ark. The movie starts very quickly with action and continues throughout! I also enjoyed The Outsiders, Fast Times at Ridgemont High, The Raging Bull, Scarface, and Dead Poets Society!

Conversationalist

I love "Indiana Jones."  I know the second one ("Temple of Doom") isn't most people's favorite, but I love the musical chaos of that opening scene.

Super Contributor

The Road Warrior, Heavy Metal, The Breakfast Club

The medicine man at www.medicinemanplantco.com
Honored Social Butterfly

While technically, one of the movies didn't appear in theaters until 1990, it was made in the 1980's. It's two sister episodes did appear in the 1980's. They are the most repeated movies on television today and each time I run across them, I end up watching all or parts of them again. I always discover lines I have missed or actions that I have overlooked. Nevertheless, they are entertaining EACH AND EVERY time I watch them. They are:

BACK TO THE FUTURE

BACK TO THE FUTURE PART 2

BACK TO THE FUTURE PART 3

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

@nctarheel That really is one of the great things about seeing a movie a few times, always something new to discover.  ---  Christine

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroids® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP