Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

MEMORIAL DAY ISN’T VETERANS DAY...PLEASE DON’T SAY 'HAPPY MEMORIAL DAY'

Honored Social Butterfly

MEMORIAL DAY ISN’T VETERANS DAY...PLEASE DON’T SAY 'HAPPY MEMORIAL DAY'

PLEASE DON’T SAY 'HAPPY MEMORIAL DAY'

[source: https://www.countrylifecitywife.com/2016/05/please-dont-say-happy-memorial-day/]

There seems to be a debate over three simple words: Happy Memorial Day. Or maybe the right word is confusion. Are they appropriate? Are they offensive? Are they ignorant? Why could that phrase possibly be any of those things?

Memorial Day observes our fallen – those who have given their lives in service to our country. It is a day to take pause, to honor and remember them. It is a time for their families to grieve and celebrate their lives in a way that’s appropriate for them. Veterans Day observes all who have served; those alive and those who made the ultimate sacrifice because they chose to answer the call to duty for their country. While it’s great to have gratitude every single day (and you should) please remember the difference between the two while we remember why we have the day off.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On a personal note, my dad was in the Air Force for over 20 years. I have a deep respect for those who join the armed forces, and serve for this country. The utmost respect. My dad never went to war. He was lucky. His brother died coming back from 'Nam. There is nothing good about war, and death. Nothing at all. It's gruesome, it's disturbing, it's violent, it's torture, it's not something this country has had to deal with in many moons. Please, if anything, pick up a history book today, and read about how things were only 100 years ago.

NOT a HAPPY day. 😣

memorial_day.jpg

Trusted Social Butterfly

Nice Topic Kelly. 1887's *bleep* rants brought it back to page 1 briefly. My grandfather was a 'Lifer' of sorts...remained active in The Reserves after his honorable discharge from full time service. My father served. I have a son who served in Afghanistan. I tried to enlist when I was young, but they wouldn't take me...found out about certain recreational activities.
I chose not to comment on the thread in May because milestones of this nature are thought provoking and disgracefully over simplified.
I watch Nova's Earth From Space on commemorative days like these...watched it on Sep. 11...probably watch it again on Dec. 7. Despite sounding, at times, like a sales pitch for more scientific satellites it shows the Earth to be an inspiration-ally successful Bio-dome that is essential to humanity's existence. In that light our destructive bickering amongst ourselves looks absolutely pointless. Fighting over 'truths' manufactured by the ego maniacal minds of people who presume to call themselves 'Leaders'. In reality they are self-serving bullies willing to send others to fight, die and wreak devastating havoc for them.
An appropriate cultural revision might start with adding another wall to the Viet Nam Memorial. Placed in a dishonorable position relative to the big wall. The second wall would list the names of the people on all sides of the conflict responsible for the decisions that led to the deaths and disappearances of those listed on the big wall. Along with a brief, but historically accurate summary of those decisions and actions. It would have to include french colonialists and probably go back at least far enough to include Roosevelt's and Truman's policies vis-a-vis the french...along with Ho, Mao, Stalin, Kruschev, Brezhnev, some of their cohorts & our various allies like the aussies, south koreans, et. al..
...Just didn't want to risk adding to the ruckus...especially on Saturday.

Trusted Social Butterfly

Addendum:

The historical summary should probably specifically mention Senators Morse (OR) and Gruening (AK) who were the only two members of the entire U.S. Legislature to vote "No" on The Gulf of Tonkin Resolution.  They voted No even though they were members of the same political party as the president. 

The House of Representatives voted 414 - 0 in favor.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Zappos until recently give all VETS a 10% discount off of everything.They took the Veteran's discount back, but still gave other groups the very same 10% discount. Please join me and boycott ZAPPOS! I refuse to buy, and my wife also refuses to buy anything ever again from them! I have emailed them a dozen times for a reasonable explanation, but they never reply.   

Please consider this when there are many other venues that sell the same products at the very same prices. Peace to all VETS!!

Honored Social Butterfly

I thought this was awesome

(via Facebook)

LEGO MD.png

Regular Contributor

Kelly-Belly,THANKS!!

Zappos until recently give all VETS a 10% discount off of everything.They took the Veteran's discount back, but still gave other groups the very same 10% discount. Please join me and boycott ZAPPOS! I refuse to buy, and my wife also refuses to buy anything ever again from them! I have emailed them a dozen times for a reasonable explanation, but they never reply.   

Please consider this when there are many other venues that sell the same products at the very same prices. Peace to all VETS!!

Honored Social Butterfly

📻 🔉 👂🏻  Listening to this on SDPB Radio [NPR] tonight, and I love it! Hearing the music they're playing just puts me at ease. The show is honoring Memorial Day, WWI, and the music of that time (/era).

✮ SDPB Radio [NPR]

✮ 2023 National Memorial Day Concert Preview Preview: Season 2023 | 30s |  

✮ NATIONAL MEMORIAL DAY CONCERT SUNDAY, MAY 28, 2023

SDPB Memorial Day 2023.jpeg

Silver Conversationalist

Well said !!!!

Regular Contributor

Thnaks Lee! I'm Vietnam Vet. Serviced 1968-1972. One day I was checking out of Zappos, and the 10% Military discount was removed. I felt like I was just slapped in the face after serving four years of my life supporting this great Nation.

To this day, Zappos has never given a reason why they removed this discount. The best we all can do, is shop somewhere else, where VETS are appreciated!

Peace brother!

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Space Adventure Pinball and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP