Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Community Concierge

Want protein but don't like eggs?

We all know that eggs have lots of protein, but maybe you don't like them, or would prefer something else. Watch this video for 10 food substitutes for the humble egg that will still add plenty of protein to your diet. Visit AARP® Staying Sharp® for more brain health information.

Conversationalist

Eggs give you cholesterol so I gave it up years ago and decided to go a healthier way-lentils- which has so many wonderful recipes online, like Lentil Loaf, Lentil Stew, Lentil burgers. I love all kinds of beans, which you can make soups, chilis,and  black bean veggie burgers.

A friend at work asked if I like Tofu ginger soup. I told her I never tried Tofu and she was surprised and that day I fell in love with Tofu. Tofu has no taste, so it’s up to you to make it tasty! You can make Tofu Mock Meatballs which are the bomb. You can put it in your spaghetti sauce or put gravy on top.

I love Almonds and Walnuts and they go in my waffles and pancakes. Almond milk or hemp milk is very tasty.

Has anybody tried Hummus? It’s to die for! That’s way better than eggs anyday! It’s crushed sesame seeds which are so good for your system- Tahini. You can make carrot or spinach or red and yellow mini pepper hummus and even lemon hummus. You can put it on anything!

A good way to steer yourself away from eggs is to smash tofu, sprinkle tumeric powder, garlic, salt and pepper on it, fry it in the pan with a little oil, add your favorite rice, green onions, and any other vegetable and you have fried rice with egg( your eyes are tricked into believing it). Your body will thank you for not eating eggs ever again!

Periodic Contributor

Some of these are not options for me, due to an allergy to all things cow milk based, but I already put most of these in my rotation. Love quinoa, beans and lentils, nuts and nut butters, and am finally learning to work with tofu, now that non GMO sprouted versions are becoming readily available. Also totally love Dave's Killer Breads! Makes the best avocado toast!

Learn something new, walk somewhere beautiful, and be grateful every day,
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Tofu doesn't help if you have a soy allergy!

Community Manager
Community Manager

That is true! Here's a yummy recipe for a Tex-Mex Black Bean & Quinoa Bowl - there's lots of protein and beneficial omega-3s in there!

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

Not Applicable!  ( I love eggs)

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

Thank you for this video! Gave me some great ideas for protein besides eggs. A couple surprises like tofu in smoothies and pumpkin seeds. Here's to 2022 and good health!

Community Manager
Community Manager

I was surprised by some of the food substitutes that have more protein than an egg! I love eggs, but I'm always looking for additional ways to include protein in my diet. This Crispy Glazed Tofu with Bok Choy is a delicious recipe!

Bronze Conversationalist

I've never really tried Tofu like this. I had no idea they had so much protein lol. I think I will give this a chance! It would be nice to have some variety for protein. Thanks!

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Bubble Shooter and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP