Content starts here
CLOSE ×
Search
Anonymous
Not applicable

Preventing Age 50+ Homelessness ๐Ÿก

๐Ÿ’ฅThis discussion was created on Saturday - April 17, 2021๐Ÿ’ฅ

Prevention is cheaper, versus rescuing us after we have become homeless!

• What measures you as one person can do to perhaps prevent your homelessness or another age 50+ person's homelessness?

• Let us discuss this onging crisis ๐Ÿ™‚

๐Ÿ’กMY PLAN TO HELP

I am encouraging the folks with extra $$$$ to spare to invest in building Tiny Cottages to rent to us in my location.

๐Ÿ’กWHY I CARE

It took me being homeless July 2017 to August 2018 to care. Up to that season in my life, life was stable. It took being laid off 3 times in my 50's for reality to kick in. Lol, have no desire to be homeless agsin with me now living on Social Security alone. Yes, had to use my 401k in 2008 to pay off my brand new car. That was my 1st layoff after 9 awesome years with Harris Corporation, Melbourne, Florida. That started my unpredictible life journey, working wherever I could with no 401k.

๐Ÿ’ฅWE WANT TO HEAR FROM YOU๐Ÿ’ฅ

Do you have a homeless story to share? We would luv to hear it!!!

Honored Social Butterfly

๐Ÿก  Avoid eviction (USAGov)

If you are behind on rent and received a demand for payment, an eviction notice, or an eviction lawsuit, understand your rights and how to get help.

https://www.usa.gov/avoid-eviction

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

๐Ÿก  Find emergency housing (USAGov)

If you are facing homelessness, these programs can help you find short-term housing.

https://www.usa.gov/emergency-housing

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

๐Ÿ“ธ  Attachment  ๐Ÿ“ธ

HOMELESS WITH FURBABIES!!!  ๐Ÿ˜ญ๐Ÿ˜ญ๐Ÿ˜ญ

Very few shelters ALLOW pets and so many are sleeping on the street refusing to ABANDON their pets.

20240816_185336.jpg

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

โ€Œ๐Ÿกโ€Œ  "A house is a home when it shelters the body and comforts the soul."

--Phillip Moffitt

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

๐Ÿ‘ด๐Ÿก๐Ÿ‘ต  [Friday 8/16/24] Apartment complex for formerly homeless seniors opens in Pasadena (MSN)

"It's not right that here in Pasadena, or anywhere, many of our neighbors struggle to put a roof over their head, have no local housing options within their budget, or are just one paycheck away from becoming unhoused," Rep. Judy Chu, D-Pasadena, said in a statement. "That's why projects like Heritage Square South are so critical, and nearly 70 seniors who have experienced homelessness will now have a place to call home here in Pasadena with access to amenities and vital case management services from Union Station Homeless Services. I will continue pushing for solutions to our housing crisis in Congress, in collaboration with partners at the federal, state, and local levels."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/realestate/apartment-complex-for-formerly-homeless-seniors-opens-in-...

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

๐Ÿ‘ด๐Ÿ‘ต  AARP Foundation Helps Struggling Older Americans (AARP Article)

Who We Are.

AARP Foundation creates and advances effective solutions to reduce poverty for and with older adults.

https://www.aarp.org/aarp-foundation/about-us.html

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

๐Ÿ‘ต  I USE TO BE A HOMELESS OLD PERSON!!!

๐Ÿ“ธ  Attachment  ๐Ÿ“ธ 

I was homeless in 2017 at the age of 59.

And NO, I was NOT an addict.

My job hours got cut as other businesses were closing their doors = NO other job to get.

TO ANYONE OUT THERE WHO IS HOMELESS - this attachment is for you my friend.

Nicole  ๐Ÿค—๐Ÿค—๐Ÿค—

josephine-mc-nair.gif

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

Maybe we should be addressing this first, instead of letting in the unvetted to add to this problem?

Just a thought. 

Honored Social Butterfly

Yes, good point @Tempest332 , Nicole  ๐Ÿก

[*** TEMPEST wrote: Maybe we should be addressing this first, instead of letting in the unvetted to add to this problem?

Just a thought. ***]

Honored Social Butterfly

๐Ÿก  LA Homeless Man's Journey to Becoming a CEO (AARP Article)

https://www.aarp.org/home-family/friends-family/info-2023/los-angeles-homeless-to-ceo.html

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

SUCCESS STORIES!!!  ๐Ÿ’ƒ๐Ÿ’ƒ๐Ÿ’ƒ

Were you FORMERLY homeless, NOW homed?

If YES, we would luv to hear YOUR STORY and someone RIGHT NOW could be helped by it.

As a FORMERLY homeless at age 59 in 2017, READING SUCCESS STORIES kept me going = if they could do it, so can I.

Thanks,

Nicole  ๐Ÿ‘ด๐Ÿก๐Ÿ‘ต  (Housing Forum)

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

๐Ÿก  3 Steps to Avoiding Foreclosure (AARP Article)

Hereโ€™s What To Do If Youโ€™re Struggling With Mortgage Payments.

https://my.aarpfoundation.org/article/foreclosure-assistance/

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

๐Ÿก  Resources That Help the Homeless With Housing and Moreโ€‹ (AARP Resource Center)

https://www.aarp.org/home-family/your-home/info-2022/resouces-to-help-the-homeless.html

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

WAYS TO HELP THE HOMELESS!!!  ๐Ÿ™ƒ๐Ÿ™ƒ๐Ÿ™ƒ

[1] Advocate. You can work with homeless people to help them find housing and provide resources for meals and other basic needs. You can also help with disability applications or appeals.

[2] Provide legal assistance. FREE legal aid can help homeless people with disability applications and appeals.

[3] Support organizations. Organizations like the Coalition for the Homeless offer shelter, food, job training, and other services.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

๐Ÿก  Vickie Seatโ€™s Story: From Homelessness to Independence (AARP Article)

https://www.aarp.org/aarp-foundation/our-work/income/scsep/vickie-seat-scsep-story.html

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

๐Ÿก  The Problem of Rising Rents and Where to Find Help (AARP Article)

FROM THE ARTICLE - SEE ARTICLE FOR MORE!!!

The High Cost of Rising Rents.

OLDER Americans with limited incomes struggle to keep up with steep increases.

Rent increases and older adults.

Know Your Rights: What to Do If Your Rent Gets Jacked Up!

Learn your rights. Check to see if your landlord gave you the information and the advance notice required by state and local laws. Some places also have rent stabilization laws that limit rent increases. You can find free legal help through the Legal Services Corporation and the Eldercare Locator run by the U.S. Administration on Aging.     

https://www.aarp.org/money/budgeting-saving/info-2022/rising-rents-affordable-housing-resources.html

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

๐Ÿก  Meet 4 Older Americans Who Survived Homelessness (AARP Article)

https://www.aarp.org/home-family/your-home/info-2022/older-americans-survived-homelessness.html

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

โ€Œโ€Œ๐Ÿ‘ดโ€Œโ€Œโ€Œโ€Œ๐Ÿกโ€Œโ€Œโ€Œโ€Œ๐Ÿ‘ตโ€Œโ€Œ  HOMELESS OR BEING EVICTED.

Are YOU age 50 or OLDER and NOW homeless or being EVICTED?

I am ALWAYS here for YOU!!!

As a FORMERLY (NEVER been AGAIN) homeless at age 59 in 2017, I can HELP you.

NEVER GIVE UP AND NEVER FEEL ASHAMED my friends.

Stuff happens to ALL of us.

Nicole  โ€Œโ€Œ๐Ÿค—โ€Œโ€Œโ€Œโ€Œ๐Ÿค—โ€Œโ€Œโ€Œโ€Œ๐Ÿค—โ€Œโ€Œ

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

[Poster has deleted their comment]

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@iLuvAutumn quoted from the link:   The rising costs of homeowners association (HOA) fees and home insurance is weighing so heavily on the Sunshine State's retirees that many risk becoming homeless, a South Florida realtor has told Newsweek.

===============================

Couldnโ€™t one say the same thing about property taxes?  If those who are finding the cost unreachable, they could sell and move somewhere else more affordable - but if they sell for a really good or great price - then that in turn affects the property taxes of those who have remained.  Thatโ€™s one of the way tax assessors set a property value for taxes - they use current sales as a basis.  This is even more common when in a condo unit where the homes are very similar to each other.  

When cost rise because of new regs, increased cost of regular maintenance or repairs, or property taxes, all of which the homeowners are responsible, how could it be any other way?

If the condo unit is rented out then the increase in these things - HOA fees / insurance / taxes - the cost is just passed along to the renters.  Again, how could this be any other way?

The cost of homeownership or rent does NOT end just because one might get older or is living on a limited income.  One has to prepare for such increases or change (move) to something that is affordable. 

Who should pay for these new regs, laws, all HOA covered items in a dwelling that is shared with others?  Living in a condo is really exposed to this sort of things because the owners share in so many things - 

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

๐Ÿ‘ด๐Ÿก๐Ÿ‘ต  [Wednesday 8/14/24]

RETIRED Chicago teacher, 74, forced to return to work to keep a roof over her head โ€” how inflation is draining senior Americansโ€™ nest eggs (MSN)

Now aged 74, Campbell is working part-time for United HomeCare, a non-profit home health and community care organization. Using a walker to get around the office, she spends her days checking emails, making calls and putting together promotional material โ€” activities far from the retirement dream she once had.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/retirement/i-didn-t-want-to-be-homeless-retired-chicago-teacher-74-f...

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

๐Ÿ‘ด๐Ÿก๐Ÿ‘ต  [Tuesday 8/13/24] Increase in homeless seniors in Maine worries experts (WMTW)

Hussey lost her long-term above-garage space due to it being deemed unfit for rent by local officials.

Dr. Lenard Kaye, the director of the UMaine Center on Aging, says homeless seniors often live with health conditions significantly worse than their age suggests.

โ€œIn a state like Maine, these are individuals who are stoic, have a stiff upper lip mentality, who resist asking for help or delay doing that until a crisis emerges. And for them, homelessness may not be perceived as that ultimate crisis,โ€ Kaye said.

Dr. Katie Spencer White, the CEO of Mid-Maine Homeless Shelter & Services in Waterville, notes that nearly half of their population is over 55, with many individuals aged 80 and above.

https://www.wmtw.com/article/increasing-number-of-homeless-seniors-in-maine-worries-experts-and-outr...

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

๐Ÿ‘ด๐Ÿก๐Ÿ‘ต  [Monday 8/12/24] It takes a community to help homeless seniors (BOSTON HERALD)

One client, Cynthia, was in need after experiencing homelessness and living in her car. This was compounded when she was diagnosed with glaucoma, and subsequently found it difficult to advocate for herself and her needs. Now, thanks to her SIPS case manager, she is receiving the support she needs with purchasing furniture, paying for move-in costs, and connecting with a Personal Care Assistant to help with day-to-day activities. Removing the stress and anxiety around addressing basic needs gives clients like Cynthia the ability to focus on stabilizing herself and her family.

https://www.bostonherald.com/2024/07/31/marshall-it-takes-a-community-to-help-homeless-seniors/

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

๐Ÿ‘ด๐Ÿก๐Ÿ‘ต  [Sunday 8/11/24] This nurse says older homeless seniors face extra challenges during summer months (KJZZ NEWS)

For older adults who are experiencing homelessness, staying healthy isnโ€™t always easy. And managing chronic conditions like diabetes, heart disease or arthritis is tough for both the health care provider and the patient.

Bobbie Kithcart is a nurse at Justa Center, a day center for homeless seniors 55 and older.

"So they have chronic diseases, and many of them often don't manage their chronic diseases very well. Plus, they get their medications stolen, and they get beat up and all the other things, you know, that happened to people who don't have housing," Kithcart said.

Kithcart has also seen burns and abscesses this summer. She says sheโ€™s had four patients go to the hospital so they can be drained.

"And these wounds take a lot of time to heal, because they usually have to heal from the inside out because they're open," Kithcart said.

The good news says Kithcart is that she has seen fewer cases of heat stroke this summer compared to last.

https://www.kjzz.org/kjzz-news/2024-08-01/this-nurse-says-older-homeless-seniors-face-extra-challeng...

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

๐Ÿ‘ด๐Ÿก๐Ÿ‘ต  [Friday 8/9/24] Thousands of senior citizens are dying homeless in Los Angeles, records reveal | Los Angeles | The Guardian |

WE NEVER PLAN TO BE HOMELESS IN OUR OLD AGE. THIS IS SO SAD!!!  ๐Ÿ˜ญ๐Ÿ˜ญ๐Ÿ˜ญ

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/article/2024/aug/08/homeless-senior-citizen-deaths-los-angeles

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

๐Ÿก  (5/20/24)  COMPASSION  ๐Ÿค—๐Ÿค—๐Ÿค—

[1] NOT every homeless person is an addict or a criminal or crazy.

[2] Some are people who are just like us who maybe lost a job or had medical bills that cleaned out their savings.

[3] So NEXT TIME you read about the homeless or see one, have some compassion.

Thank you,

Nicole  ๐Ÿ‘ต

Gold Conversationalist

YES,.....

.....have some compassion.....

THANKS FOR THAT NICOLE ....

AND THANKS FOR THAT Laura @LaurajW510385

.>>>> THE REALITY IS >>>>some are homeless due to natural causes; fires, floods, hurricanes, tornados, abuse, forced out, thrown out, some are runaways from home....its always the worse to assume everyone is an addict, alcoholic, or whatever.....

Stay safe....&...Take care!

โ˜ฎ๏ธ  ๐ŸŒฉ๐ŸŒฆ~Allen

๐ŸŒˆ  โ›ต  ๐ŸŒž

Honored Social Butterfly

Allen @Therapist4u until SOME people EXPERIENCE being homeless in THEIR OLD AGE, they will NEVER have compassion for the homeless. Thanks for stopping by my friend!!! ๐Ÿค—๐Ÿค—๐Ÿค—

[*** ALLEN wrote: YES,.....

.....have some compassion.....

THANKS FOR THAT NICOLE ....

AND THANKS FOR THAT Laura @LaurajW510385

.>>>> THE REALITY IS >>>>some are homeless due to natural causes; fires, floods, hurricanes, tornados, abuse, forced out, thrown out, some are runaways from home....its always the worse to assume everyone is an addict, alcoholic, or whatever.....

Stay safe....&...Take care!

โ˜ฎ๏ธ  ๐ŸŒฉ๐ŸŒฆ~Allen

๐ŸŒˆ  โ›ต  ๐ŸŒž ***]

Super Contributor

some are homeless due to natural causes; fires, floods, hurricanes, tornados, abuse, forced out, thrown out, some are runaways from home....its always the worse to assume everyone is an addict, alcoholic, or whatever your tiny puney little mindful thoughts can assume.

Stay Healthy!!!

cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

"I downloaded AARP Perks to assist in staying connected and never missing out on a discount!" -LeeshaD341679

AARP Perks

More From AARP