Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Preventing Age 50+ Homelessness ๐Ÿก

Anonymous
Not applicable

Preventing Age 50+ Homelessness ๐Ÿก

๐Ÿ’ฅThis discussion was created on Saturday - April 17, 2021๐Ÿ’ฅ

Prevention is cheaper, versus rescuing us after we have become homeless!

• What measures you as one person can do to perhaps prevent your homelessness or another age 50+ person's homelessness?

• Let us discuss this onging crisis ๐Ÿ™‚

๐Ÿ’กMY PLAN TO HELP

I am encouraging the folks with extra $$$$ to spare to invest in building Tiny Cottages to rent to us in my location.

๐Ÿ’กWHY I CARE

It took me being homeless July 2017 to August 2018 to care. Up to that season in my life, life was stable. It took being laid off 3 times in my 50's for reality to kick in. Lol, have no desire to be homeless agsin with me now living on Social Security alone. Yes, had to use my 401k in 2008 to pay off my brand new car. That was my 1st layoff after 9 awesome years with Harris Corporation, Melbourne, Florida. That started my unpredictible life journey, working wherever I could with no 401k.

๐Ÿ’ฅWE WANT TO HEAR FROM YOU๐Ÿ’ฅ

Do you have a homeless story to share? We would luv to hear it!!!

Recognized Social Butterfly

(CALIFORNIA 3/14/24) Free AARP Zoom Online Event for Members and Non-Members. Registration REQUIRED!

Thursday, May 16, 2024. From 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. PDT.

How Homelessness Impacts Older Adults: A Conversation with Dr. Margot Kushel, MD.

Join nationally renowned expert Dr. Margot Kushel for a discussion about the impact of homelessness on Californiaโ€™s older adult population.

โžก๏ธ*** About the Event: ***โฌ…๏ธ

It is estimated that about 40% of Santa Clara County homeless are older adults aged 55 or older. By 2030, an estimated 400,000 Santa Clara County residents will be 65 an older, making up for one-fifth of the population. Some have called the growing older adult homeless population locally and around California a โ€œsilver tsunami.โ€

Join AARP California for a conversation with Dr. Margot Kushel as we explore the data further, as well as the complex interactions between health and homelessness and potential solutions to prevent and address the issue. You will also have an opportunity to ask questions you may have. 

Margot Kushel, MD is a Professor of Medicine and Division Chief at the Division of Vulnerable Populations at Zuckerberg San Francisco General Hospital and Trauma Center and Director of the UCSF Center for Vulnerable Populations and UCSF Benioff Homelessness and Housing Initiative .Dr. Kushelโ€™s research focuses on reducing the burden of homelessness on health through examining efforts to prevent and end homelessness and mitigating the effects of housing instability on health care outcomes. She uses a variety of research methodologies with an aim towards informing the development of programs and policies to end homelessness via understanding the complex interactions between health and housing. She has a particular interest in homelessness in older adults and homelessness in medically complicated individuals.

How to Join:

Please note that you must be signed in to your AARP.org account or create an account to register for events. AARP membership is not required.

[REGISTRATION LINK BELOW]

https://local.aarp.org/aarp-event/how-homelessness-impacts-older-adults-a-conversation-with-dr-margo...

0 Kudos

(Wednesday 3/13/24)

I had started this discussion in 2021 before deciding to leave AARP. Why?  ๐Ÿค”  Site had "died" AFTER they "shut down" their Political Forum in 2021.

NOW in 2024, I am seeing and reading about TOO MANY "old" folks being EVICTED because they can NO LONGER "afford" their rent or mortgage.

Gosh, at age 66 THIS YEAR, I make sure my "rent" is paid 1st as I so DO NOT want to end up homeless AGAIN.

Took the ONE TIME for me to find out - when we get OLD, there is NO HELP with housing...  ๐Ÿ˜Ž

0 Kudos

(Monday3/11/24)

Where is the best place to go when you are homeless?  ๐Ÿค”

A good place to start is your County Department of Human or Social Services, a nearby church, social service non-profit, the library, or a food pantry.

https://endhomelessness.org/how-to-get-help-experiencing-homelssness/#:~:text=A%20good%20place%20to%....

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

Plan ahead with a 401, not in your 50's but in your 20's, my IRA's & 401's dropped significantly in 2022 when a certain administrations policies started kicking in. 

(3/9/24) @Tempest332 , I grew up on BACKUPS = do not put ALL of your eggs in ONE basket. At age 66 THIS YEAR, I am "exploring" my optons JUST IN CASE my Medicare & Retirement Social Security goes bye-bye BEFORE I die. My daughter (only child) has OTHER options in place aside from her company's 401k. Hey, way too many SENIORS ended up on the streets when they had that huge "bust" several years ago. Cannot remember Company (I is old ๐Ÿ™„) but I was still working. The administrators left them penniless = no 401k funds. Some were already retired. Sad!!!  ๐Ÿ˜Ž

[*** @Tempest332 wrote:

Plan ahead with a 401, not in your 50's but in your 20's, my IRA's & 401's dropped significantly in 2022 when a certain administrations policies started kicking in. ***]

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

I'm just saying, as they are letting 18+ join AARP, I know so many that have absolutely no savings or plans for retirement, & are in massive debt.  Yes, more than one basket, though something is better than nothing.  Stick with reputable funds. 

SSI, & Medicare aren't going anywhere soon no matter how reckless the government spends, but really can one live comfortably on just these government handouts?

(3/10/24) @Tempest332 , yes, alot of people are living on ONLY Government Handouts (immigrants, illegals, refugees) in my area and Habitat for Humanity just built a house for a couple from Peru. BUT the ROANOKE RESCUE MISSION is "full" with Americans who got "laid off" when companies like General Electric CLOSED their doors after being here FOREVER. As far as AARP letting age 18+ join, okay - BUT I see their SITE being CHANGED and to heck to age 50+. Anyway, that is life...  ๐Ÿ˜Ž

[*** @Tempest332 wrote:

I'm just saying, as they are letting 18+ join AARP, I know so many

y that have absolutely no savings or plans for retirement, & are in massive debt.  Yes, more than one basket, though something is better than nothing.  Stick with reputable funds. 

SSI, & Medicare aren't going anywhere soon no matter how reckless the government spends, but really can one live comfortably on just these government handouts? ***]

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@SpringIsHereSoHappy wrote:

(3/10/24) @Tempest332 , yes, alot of people are living on ONLY Government Handouts (immigrants, illegals, refugees) in my area and Habitat for Humanity just built a house for a couple from Peru. BUT the ROANOKE RESCUE MISSION is "full" with Americans who got "laid off" when companies like General Electric CLOSED their doors after being here FOREVER. . . . . . . .  ๐Ÿ˜Ž

I I donโ€™t think you understand the HomeBUYING program that the charitable organization of Habitat for Humanity does - They donโ€™t really build homes for the homeless unless that homeless person can pay the no-interest mortgage that comes with the home.  

They have qualifications and eligibility requirements for the HomeBUYING program.  These are the stipulations for my area.

Habitat for Humanity - HomeBuyer Program

Legal Permanent Residents of the U.S. are also qualified for the program just like citizens - So unless you reviewed the papers of the Peruvians  then I doubt if you know their legal status and your comment appears to be rather uncalled for -

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna

(3/11/24) @GailL1 , I worked for them through the SCSEP Program and know all about them. Next, my comment is mine and I do not care if you feel it was uncalled for. Next, way too many Americans NEED a home, who were BORN here. Anyway, thanks for your comments and I gave you a kudo.  ๐Ÿ˜Ž

[*** GAIL @GailL1 wrote:
I I donโ€™t think you understand the HomeBUYING program that the charitable organization of Habitat for Humanity does - They donโ€™t really build homes for the homeless unless that homeless person can pay the no-interest mortgage that comes with the home.  

They have qualifications and eligibility requirements for the HomeBUYING program.  These are the stipulations for my area.

Habitat for Humanity - HomeBuyer Program

Legal Permanent Residents of the U.S. are also qualified for the program just like citizens - So unless you reviewed the papers of the Peruvians  then I doubt if you know their legal status and your comment appears to be rather uncalled for - ***]

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

Guess I should leave "Habitat for Humanity" off my beneficiaries' then. ๐Ÿค”

(3/11/24) Some people are OKAY with them, I am NOT!!!  ๐Ÿ˜Ž

[*** @Tempest332 wrote:

Guess I should leave "Habitat for Humanity" off my beneficiaries' then. ๐Ÿค” ***]

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

I thought they were the last of the "honest" charities. There is a Habitat store here. I would had donated more to them, when cleaning the estate, but they were only open for a few hours a day 3 days a week. 

Meanwhile here's a couple of 50+ innovative women that were avoiding homelessness:

Weekday at Bernie's 

But they eventually got caught. 

(3/11/24) @Tempest332 , they are HONEST!!! I just DO NOT believe in "foreigners" getting stuff from them BEFORE Americans. Too many of us, especially age 50+ who NEED HOUSING.  ๐Ÿ˜Ž

[*** @Tempest332 wrote:

I thought they were the last of the "honest" charities. There is a Habitat store here. I would had donated more to them, when cleaning the estate, but they were only open for a few hours a day 3 days a week. ***]

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@SpringIsHereSoHappy wrote:

(3/11/24) @Tempest332 , they are HONEST!!! I just DO NOT believe in "foreigners" getting stuff from them BEFORE Americans. Too many of us, especially age 50+ who NEED HOUSING.  ๐Ÿ˜Ž

LOL- I just cannot believe you are saying this - 

Habitat does not build homes for people who cannot afford to pay an interest free mortgage of an affordable amount.  Thatโ€™s their purpose - if someone doesnโ€™t have any money or is not working to earn it - then this charitable organizations work is not for them -

Habitat for Humanity - Mission, Vision, Principles 

Habitat for Humanity partners with people in your community, and all over the world, to help them build or improve a place they can call home. Habitat homeowners help build their own homes alongside volunteers and pay an affordable mortgage.

Habitat for Humanity - ABOUT 

(3/11/24) @GailL1 , where did I say these homes are FREE??? Anyway, so not going to argue with you. Thanks for your comments and I gave you a kudo.  ๐Ÿ˜Ž

[*** GAIL @GailL1 wrote:
LOL- I just cannot believe you are saying this - 

Habitat does not build homes for people who cannot afford to pay an interest free mortgage of an affordable amount.  Thatโ€™s their purpose - if someone doesnโ€™t have any money or is not working to earn it - then this charitable organizations work is not for them -

Habitat for Humanity - Mission, Vision, Principles 

Habitat for Humanity partners with people in your community, and all over the world, to help them build or improve a place they can call home. Habitat homeowners help build their own homes alongside volunteers and pay an affordable mortgage.

Habitat for Humanity - ABOUT 

***]

0 Kudos

Hello EVERYONE,

please keep the topic friendly and within the guidelines.

You can disagree, but maintain respect.

The subject is an important one for many and we must respect some have different opinions and solutions to others

Thanks everyone

1 comment (3/8/24) Let us chat about the homeless issues in YOUR LOCATION!

At the moment I am living in BOTH Florida and Virginia.

Virginia had already banned sleeping on the street last year in my city.

NOW I see in the News Florida wants to do the same.

I totally AGREE as long as there are OPTIONS in place.

What happened in my suburb (Cave Spring, VA) was as they ran them from the city (Roanoke, VA) = they became OUR PROBLEM.  ๐Ÿ˜ฑ

How about PREVENTION instead of waiting for folks to be EVICTED.

Florida is a "hot mess" and everyone seems to want to be in Sunny Florida.  ๐Ÿ˜Ž

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

Never seen any "homelessness"  in my area till 2022 with folks living in bus shelters in the overnight hours.   

(3/8/24)  ๐Ÿก  VA looking for ways to help homeless veterans in southern Nevada [ktnv.com] 

LAS VEGAS (KTNV) โ€” Homelessness among veterans is up 7% nationwide, according to officials from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.

https://www.ktnv.com/news/va-looking-for-ways-to-help-homeless-veterans-in-southern-nevada

0 Kudos

(3/8/24)  ๐Ÿก  La Habra mechanic surprises homeless woman by gifting her a car (abc7.com) 

For Felicia Lemon, her car is more than a way to get around town. For her, the gift from her friend is safety and shelter.

https://abc7.com/la-habra-homeless-woman-gifted-car-mechanic/14505660/

0 Kudos

(3/6/24) @LaurajW510385 , how are you these days?  ๐Ÿค”  I HOPE you are okay and found someplace safe and affordable.  ๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’™

0 Kudos

๐Ÿก  [3/6/24] LA Homeless Man's Journey to Becoming a CEO (AARP Article)

https://www.aarp.org/home-family/friends-family/info-2023/los-angeles-homeless-to-ceo.html

0 Kudos

๐Ÿก  [3/6/24] Vickie Seatโ€™s Story: From Homelessness to Independence (AARP Article)

https://www.aarp.org/aarp-foundation/our-work/income/scsep/vickie-seat-scsep-story.html

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wednesday - July 14, 2021

Things are returning to whatever the <new normal> is for us all. Hope all is well with everyone. Stay safe and treasure the time you have with loved ones. A home is not only about the building. It is about the luv we find there. Let us do what we can to encourage <Affordable Housing for Age 50+>. Getting old and homeless is not the way for our aging population! ๐Ÿ˜ฑ

Honored Social Butterfly

@Anonymous wrote:

๐Ÿ’กMY PLAN TO HELP

I am encouraging the folks with extra $$$$ to spare to invest in building Tiny Cottages to rent to us in my location.

This may be interesting to you - located close to Melbourne, FL in Cocoa,  FL.

The website says they rent but none available currently - but who knows .

There are pics of different types - some on wheels / some not -

The website is all I know about them and their developments.

Maybe you daughter could do a look-see if you are interested in this.

Appears the group in a non-profit.

BraveHeart Properties of Brevard

Just interesting - and thought you might have some interest in it.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @GailL1 yes, we know about this property. Thanks.

Honored Social Butterfly

Good to know - good luck on your search.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@GailL1 wrote:

Good to know - good luck on your search.

๐Ÿ’ฅThanks @GailL1 ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ’ฅ

Bronze Conversationalist

Hi @Anonymous 

I admit to not having enough knowledge or experience with the homelessness issue to have thought through workable solutions. But that's never stopped me from chiming in with opinions. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Two things come to mind immediately:

1. I noticed in the early days of the covid pandemic my state bought up or leased a few former motels that were sitting empty but not uninhabitable. Some of our homeless citizens were moved there for shelter and health protection. I think some were used to house seniors in nursing homes that had become dangerous to them due to wide spread covid, but who were healthy enough to withstand some service disruption.

I don't see why unoccupied motels couldn't be converted as permanent living space for those in need. 

Also, I can't remember now where it is maybe in Europe, that abandoned shopping malls have also been turned into tiny apartment spaces. If the structures are still useable, there's no reason this couldn't be done everywhere, with some modification for private bathrooms, food, laundry, and other needed services.

2. I don't want to start a political war here, but America seriously needs to get over its rugged individualism mindset that is in my opinion at the root of homelessness and other injustices and inequities. We don't have anywhere near a humane and functional welfare system because everyone points to everyone else as needing to step up and do something. Clearly that isn't working.

We should look to Scandinavia for completely workable and scalable models of taking care of people, whether poor, disabled or differently abled, solitary seniors, veterans, the mentally ill, immigrants, those fleeing domestic violence, those who through no fault of their own and/or due to loss of employment due to Covid have ben evicted, who have suffered medical bankruptcy -- and just plain ole people in need.

I'm glad to see Biden's plans for beginning to address the problem of housing instability, but I'm reading that most of the funds to be allocated for this would go to only 4 states (CA, TX, FL, and NY). State government also need to step up and make this a priority. And politicians need to quit propagandizing and fighting each other, and actually work together to find useful solutions.

Plenty of money exists in the defense budget that just one year's worth of the  new equipment budget would go a very long way towards funding good solutions. I'd start with determining what that amount of money would be, then work with corporate property owners AND people in need of housing to co-create some real and long lasting results.

cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Breakoutยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP