Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Community Manager
Community Manager

Downsizing Tips

It often makes financial sense to find a smaller, more economical place to live. Are you thinking about downsizing? Feeling overwhelmed by where to start? Check out these helpful tips โฌ‡๏ธ

1. Take photos of your home before you start to pare down - When you look through the photos, see what your eye goes to - those are the things to keep.

2. Keep things you want, use, need, or like to look at - Identify the things that make your house a home, including objects that you give you pleasure or have sentimental value. Keep and use the good stuff. Don't save it for special occasions.

3. Don't over-save for the next generation - A lot of folks save their possessions to pass on to their children or grandchildren. The problem with that is that the younger generations will have a different style when the time comes for them to use the items, and they likely won't want them. Instead of putting things in storage, save that money and give that instead (if you can).

4. Give with no strings attached - Be a generous giver and don't ask where things went.

5. Stop acquiring - This doesn't mean you can't buy new things. Instead, adopt this rule: one new thing in, one old thing out.

6. Take only the favorites from your collections - Pick your favorites, and let go of the rest. A good suggestion is to keep 3-4 of the things you like to look at.

7. Don't move anything that doesn't have a designated space in your new home - Make sure there's a spot for the things you take to your smaller space in the furniture you're taking with you.

8. Label your photographs - If you don't know the people in the photos, are those photos worth keeping? If there are photos with people you know in them, but they aren't sentimental, give them to those people.

9. Purge your paperwork - Get rid of tax returns after 7 years or digitize them. Don't keep bank statements you can access online. Be very selective about which papers you will keep.

10. Start now - If you are thinking of moving, start small. Pick a drawer, set a timer for 15 minutes, and go through it. Designate time to do this weekly.

Do you have any other downsizing tips? Share today!

Check out the book "Downsizing the Family Home" and "Downsizing the Family Home: The Wokrbook" from AARP as well.

Honored Social Butterfly

I am right now in the process of "downsizing."  However, my downsizing really just consists only of decluttering my house and garage because I have no intentions of moving.  I just want to minimalize my living space for comfort and increased livability.  You know the old adage "a place for everything and everything in it's place."  So the getting rid of unnecessary and unused "stuff" is my goal and my idea of "downsizing."

Join your local Buy Nothing Project group which is a hyper-local gifting community. Their motto is to give from your abundance. It feels good to give something you've loved to someone who will appreciate it, rather than a faceless charity "bin" - it also makes it easier to part with some things. 

Contributor

If there are family heirlooms that you think your children (or niece/nephew) might like, write a brief note on why it is important.  Send a photo of the item with it's "story" on why the family kept it.   Ask if they'd like to have the item and give it away now.   If they aren't interested in the item, they still have the photo and the story, and you know not to save it for them.  

great suggestion.  I really appreciate.

Contributor

Absolutely take pictures! As a transition consultant that is my first advice: take pictures of all the things that inspire memories and stories, then only keep the items that you will use. Ask family and friends if they would like the ones you can't keep, sell what they don't want, then donate what's left. You still have the pictures.

The other major piece of advice is that we are in a time where our parents are downsizing, we are downsizing, and our kids are minimizing. The kids will not always want those dishes or that lamp just because it was handed down through 4 generations. Again, have the kids/family take pictures of things that inspire memories for them too. Then graciously release those items to the Goodwill knowing that someone else will not find use for them. 

Third, hen you give something away (to family or friends) remember that it is now theirs and they are not required to keep it, use it, or display it to please you. 

I share this advice from experience, having cleared the family home (built by my father) three years ago to downsize to a 2BR apartment. Always happy to help others with their transitions in life. 

Thank you for the great tips.

Contributor

Downsizing can be sad but if you are retiring, itโ€™s best to do it thinking what would make you comfortable and happy.  I recently downsized as my only son got married and fortunate enough to get enough equity from my 18 year old home that I build in 2001 and convert it buying my 2 bedroom condo with no mortgage moving from west coast to southwest FL.   Itโ€™s the best decision I did.  When you look for a new community, make sure you check their amenities that you are able to use.  Check HOA dues as this will be a monthly expenses and balance your budget expenses.  Iโ€™ve asked my son Hoch stuff from our old home he ants to keep and he only picked a few and o the rest was given to charity so others can have a used for it.   Now, my

lifestyle is all about me and open communication about everything that I do now with my son and new daughter in law makes it easier to buy new things that we all both agree on so that I know when time comes up for me, they will all keep what I have for their use in the future with my grand baby.   

Contributor

De clutter, yes.  Move, only if you own a home with extreme equity.  Active adult communities in Northeast Atlanta start at $300K and senior apartments will cost over $1250 a month for 1 bedroom.

cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipedeยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP