Community Manager
Community Manager

How long do you want live? 80, 90, 100?

Do you have a number in mind? Do you want to live to be 80, 90 or 100? How about 115 or 120?

Do you think it matters what your expectations are? I do. I think if you expect to live a long healthy life, your chances of doing so are greater.

AARPTeri
Regular Contributor

i do beleive that the gradual loss of autonomy with some diseases should make them terminal diagnoses.  i see too many heroic measures being taken for folks that really don't need, prolly wouldn't want

sarahlin
Honored Social Butterfly

I learned something very interesting last fall, about genes. I thought that you were born with genes, and they were either OK or not. If they weren't, you might be born with some disease, or develop it later in life. I never realized that genes could mutate or become defective, as we age! So certain genes protect us against cancer or other diseases .. but if they mutate/become defective, they no longer protect us! So the longer people live, in general, the greater the probability of their genes becoming defective, which is why we're seeing more people get various forms of cancer as they age!

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Regular Contributor

@ASTRAEA wrote:

So the longer people live, in general, the greater the probability of their genes becoming defective, which is why we're seeing more people get various forms of cancer as they age!

Didn't need to know that. j/k 😉

I know it doesn't work this way but..........

My father passed away at 62 and mother at 90. If I split the difference I have 5 years left.

I agree with what you wrote earlier....as long as I can do the things I want or need to do.....Life is Good!

Blaine

(the Voltran thing is from years ago when I did Voltranic Syndicated News & Reviews)

Honored Social Butterfly

"...I don't have any number in mind; I just want to be healthy & functional .. and die fast, when that's no longer the case.....".

Times two!!!!

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Honored Social Butterfly

I had one aunt who died of cancer at age 52, after suffering thru treatment for more than 10 years. I also have relatives who lived to almost 100 without any major illnesses.

I don't have any number in mind; I just want to be healthy & functional .. and die fast, when that's no longer the case.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Periodic Contributor

I am already 82 and I walk a couple miles out in the Country where I can get my heart rate up.

I walk my Dog and when I am not walking I am gardening.  My Mother lived to 92.  I only want to live as long as I am Healthy and so far I don't take any medications of any kind. I have a Centrum  Tablet once a day and 2 times a day I eat a Calcium Tablet.  I broke my hip a couple of years ago.  I was in the hospital for 3 days. A Nursing home for 3 days and then I had Physical Therapy for a few weeks and I have not slowed down since then.  I get a Prolia shot twice a year.  Staying active is the way to go. I can be out in the Country walking after 7 and 1/2 mile drive. Nobody around. I have to get up early and have breakfast and then go walking.  I weigh probably 121 lbs. I know I am lucky.  I don't do much shopping at the Grocery Store and I hate these masks.  

Contributor

I think around 80-83 as long as I am able to take care of myself and remain healthy. After that age most if not all of your friends have already passed or unable to get around. Life starts to get boring and you are alone most of the time and you become depressed.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

@ASTRAEA wrote:

I don't have any number in mind; I just want to be healthy & functional .. and die fast, when that's no longer the case.

You said it best for me!

Contributor

AS LONG AS MY BODY IS ABLE TO FUNCTION WITH OUT ARTIFICAL LIFE AGE OF LIFE NOT AS IMPROTANT AS THE QUALITY OF LIFE, SO I DO AGE WITH YOU BUT I WILL DO ALL CAN TO LIVE AS LONG AS CAN DRUG FREE AND NATURALY

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Me too; I'll hang around until I'm 150.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I wish live untill I have nothing left to give of myself.
Trusted Contributor

@ASTRAEA wrote:

I had one aunt who died of cancer at age 52, after suffering thru treatment for more than 10 years. I also have relatives who lived to almost 100 without any major illnesses.

hmm..my attempt at editing the quote didn't work out like I planned. 

Anyway, I fully agree.

Trusted Contributor

ASTRAEA wrote  Well said!

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

"I downloaded AARP Perks to assist in staying connected and never missing out on a discount!" -LeeshaD341679

AARP Perks

More From AARP